Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone and Merry Christmas! I've already done some mods to my 05, GT (3800 miles, so far!), and now I am ready to doing some research on the exhaust. I know, through some reading and tests that Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords and Alternative Auto Performance has done, that replacing the exhaust on the new Mustangs doesn't yield that much performance benefit. I will installing a set of JBA, ceramic coated shorty headers, and then an axel back exhaust system (I've talked to several mechanics, and give the factory H-pipe, its seems uneconomical to replace the H-pipe with something that isn't going to give me very much gains). However, I'm trying to decide on two axel back systems for the 05 & 06 Stangs: Flowmaster & Hooker. I had a very experienced mechanic and car buff recommend the Hookers, and I know that a lot of others are recommending the Flowmaster. The Flowmasters are cheaper and are probably more popular, given their market familiarity. Hookers are less well known, but are supposed to be better made. The Flows run approximately $300, and the Hookers run approximately $475. Both are loud, and rumble, and have that throaty muscle car sound, however, the Hookers are supposed to have a better quality sound than the Flows, and hence the reason they are more expensive. Does anyone have any experience with either of these yet, or opinions on this?

G

·
i think hookers are doing the "more expensive so must be better" trick....stick with an american legend....if you have to change em...flowmaster...although i gotta tell ya....this new mustang....i'm leaving the exhaust alone...this is my third mustang....the stock sound is just......i love it

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got the Flowmasters installed last week. Not really a whole lot of difference between these and the stock mufflers. Slightly louder with maybe a more consistent sound. If you're going for a significant difference than the Flowmasters won't do it for you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought the Hookers and the muffler shop could not install them on my stock 2/12" over axle pipes. They would not clamp down tight enough and were loose. After about 2 hours of trying, they suggested we weld them on. I wanted to keep a stock set-up with the clamps, so I told them to re-install the stock mufflers and I sent them back to Hooker. I never got to hear them on the car, so I can't speak for sound. The look of the slash cut tips was OK, but the muffler itself was big, heavy and rather crudely finished. They are welded together down in Ole Mexico if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that Mexicans happen to do a fine job; especially at crossing the border. (Just making a joke):laughlitt

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'd spend my money on the hooker. They're cheaper than car parts.:winks

·
Registered
5,820 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Flowmasters will become a little louder over time. Also keep in mind that your exhaust note will be a little louder with a CAI.....I'm pleased with my Flowmasters at 9300 miles.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts