Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it is time to replace the stock mufflers. I ran across some new Flowmaster axel backs w/4" stainless tips the other day. The shop wanted $625.00 installed! No way! I found them on Jegs.com for $277.00. Simple bolt in.
Has anyone else seen these or bought them? With a vert, I am concerned about excess sound at highway speeds. I know from previous experience with flowmasters on my old 87 GT that they droned on and on and on and... These mufflers were featured on Horsepower TV this past week. They sounded sweet, but they didn't really do a review of them other than the HP increase.
Any thoughts about Flowmaster vs Brand Y ? Any input will be much appreciated! :wavey

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am also curious to see what others have to say.

Also, you may want to check out TMS Parts Specials as there may be a lower price out there.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had flows untill a couple of weeks ago and I love my Magnapacks alot better.

·
Registered
74 Posts
3rd Party Exhaust on Vert

I have the SLP Loudmouth's on my vert. The Loudmouths do not have a mufflers and cost $224.00 from Mustang Tuning, including shipping. I enjoy the sounds that my exhaust makes. At 2K rpm's the rumble is the icing on the cake. The install is a 30 minute job. If I ricky race the stang, you surely can hear coming and leaving. Enyoy your stang and the roads it will take you on.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I hate to rain on the axel back parade but if I had an 05 I would do a custom setup. it would be a alot cheaper. Just cut off the stock muffler right at the back and weld on some new ones with fabricated hangers and fat tips. Just a thought, maybe more people should ask around at muffler shops before plunking down big $$.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Fontech said:
I have the SLP Loudmouth's on my vert. The Loudmouths do not have a mufflers and cost $224.00 from Mustang Tuning, including shipping. I enjoy the sounds that my exhaust makes. At 2K rpm's the rumble is the icing on the cake. The install is a 30 minute job. If I ricky race the stang, you surely can hear coming and leaving. Enyoy your stang and the roads it will take you on.
Fontech,
I ordered my loudmouth's today:laughlitt . Any tips on the install you would like to share? Did you just crawl under, use jackstands, a lift? I am hoping it is really only 15 minutes per side. Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Installing SLP Loudmouth Axel-Back Exhaust

I was able to use my brother-in-laws lift for the install. Lucky. Here was what I did for the install.
1. Hand polished the pipes from the axle to the tips. I did this for appearance for car shows. Took about one hour per pipe.
2. Removed both brackets on each side. Total 4 bolts per bracket.
3. Removed clamps to X-pipe.
4. Old mufflers are removed.
5. Installed new SLP Loudmouths, First the brackets, then the clamps
6. Before you tighten the clamps, adjust your preference on how far to have the tips stick out from the bumper. I did it about 1 inch.
7. Start your stang and listen to your new sound and enjoy.

If you look at my gallery, there are pics of the SLP Loudmouths. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I went with Magnaflow. They sound really good and have no drone at highway speeds. In fact, they sound better at 80 mph at about 4 grand rpm in 4th. My local muffler shop did the install for about $300, parts and labor included. There was a difference in power right out of the parking lot without any other mods. They turn a lot of heads and sound off some car alarms as well...

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
SharpTJ said:
local Quick-O muffler shop quoted me $150 installed for flowmasters? Why is everyone getting such high quotes?
Maybe not the American Thunder ones?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Thanks for the tips Fontech. Crawled under last night to get an idea. A little tight for a guy pushin' 250:happyhapp , but, manageable. Might try and find some ramps to use or see if I can get a buddy to let me use a lift after hours. I'm hoping to have them before the weekend and put them on Saturday. I can't wait:rollgrin: .

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmm. Loudmouths huh. Did you note my comment about noise? Pipes with no mufflers don't sound too mellow. :nogrinner Thanks guys for the input.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the Flowmaster Am Thunder axel backs on my '05 GT and the complete Am Thunder exhaust system on my '68 Camaro. I wouldn't have anything else. The axel backs are a fairly easy install. If you go to a muffler shop and they quote you anything like $150 they are using 40 series mufflers that are not tuned like the Am Thunder GT units are. Most people complaining about a drone got the 40's and not the Am Thunder product specially designed for the '05 4.6 L. Expect to pay $300 to $340 installed for the Am Thunder units. Not bad when you consider the other axel backs cost up to twice the money and don't deliver any HP gains vs the Flowmasters. As stated in an earlier response to your link, the Mustang & Fast Ford magazine has an article and dyno results on the major axel back systems. Good luck.

·
Registered
252 Posts
05GT68RSSS said:
I have the Flowmaster Am Thunder axel backs on my '05 GT and the complete Am Thunder exhaust system on my '68 Camaro. I wouldn't have anything else. The axel backs are a fairly easy install. If you go to a muffler shop and they quote you anything like $150 they are using 40 series mufflers that are not tuned like the Am Thunder GT units are. Most people complaining about a drone got the 40's and not the Am Thunder product specially designed for the '05 4.6 L. Expect to pay $300 to $340 installed for the Am Thunder units. Not bad when you consider the other axel backs cost up to twice the money and don't deliver any HP gains vs the Flowmasters. As stated in an earlier response to your link, the Mustang & Fast Ford magazine has an article and dyno results on the major axel back systems. Good luck.
ahh...ok...that makes sense. Where can I buy the AMerican Thunder Flowmasters on the net? The quote WAS for 40 series.

So the American thunder series does not have the drone?

·
Registered
64 Posts
You can probably get the Am Thunder system at Summit Racing, or check with Flowmaster and they will give you their dealer list. As far as the infamous drone, there is an increase in sound level around 1800 rpm if you lug the motor in 5th gear. Other than that, cruising at 75/80 they are pretty quiet. Still slightly louder than stock. At full throttle, they're very noticable. You might want to give Flowmaster a call and ask them a few questions. I have talked with them on several occasions and found them to be very accomodating and helpful. Bottom line is, if you don't want an aggressive sound, don't buy the Flows. There is nothing wrong with the stock set up or the other aftermarket axel back systems. It seems to come down to personal preference. Good luck

·
Registered
359 Posts
Does anyone have, or know of anyone who has, the 2005 Ford Racing Mustang Exhaust System (http://tinyurl.com/dfufp)? From what MM&FF, it looks nice.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SharpTJ said:
ahh...ok...that makes sense. Where can I buy the AMerican Thunder Flowmasters on the net? The quote WAS for 40 series.

So the American thunder series does not have the drone?
I found them at www.jegs.com for $277.00 with FREE UPS ground shipping. They have a suggested retail of over $400.00 at Flowmaster, so I think jegs has a good deal. Guess I will order them and see how it goes. :strut

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just ordered the Ford Racing Exhaust for my Stang. Since everything that I have been reading shows good numbers, as well as the fact that they are basically Borla's restamped, they will work for me.

Once all is installed, I will try and take some pics and MPGs of them to share.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just ordered the Flowmaster American Thunder back half system for the 2005 Mustang GT. I looked around and listened to several sound clips including MagnaFlow before deciding. I didn't want something too loud and I liked the sound of the Flowmaster. I ordered them from Proficient Performance who had them on sale for $273.00 which I considered a very good price. www.proficientperformance.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=FL-17410&Store_Code=PP

They look like a fairly easy install. I found a web site that has some good information on the FLowmaster American Thunder complete with installation guide and sound clips. www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/03/05Mufflers/index.php

I will let you know after I receive & install.

Dave
www.sunnyfortuna.com

1 - 20 of 25 Posts