Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 2012 V6 Mustang to the shop to lube my front caliper... They alerted me to some major leakage in my rear passenger brake...
I try to fix everything myself (even though I have no idea what I'm doing) so I started going down the list, checking for loose bolts, broken lines etc... I had one loose bolt which I thought was where the leak was coming from since there was a lot of oil around there... But it wasn't that, my wheel was covered in oil after only 1 hour of driving...

It's hard to tell where the oil is coming from since everything is covered... Yet my brake fluid levels have barely even gone down and I have no problems braking when driving... But all hoses/lines appear fine, no loose bolts... Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
My guess is a blown seal in the caliper. New calipers form Ford are around $200 :(. I'm sure your local auto parts store sell rebuilt calipers for a lot less :)

Reactions: crjackson

·
Registered
665 Posts
Could be a bad axle seal too. Does the oil smell kinda stinky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be a bad axle seal too. Does the oil smell kinda stinky?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It's definitely brake fluid... The axle has already been addressed, and the fluid is isolated to just the brake area... I have confirmed that is it coming from just there... Problem is, the last guy I had change my brake pads when I was unwell, tightened the caliper nuts so damn tight I can't get them off... Hard to inspect the brakes if I can't take em apart

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is a blown seal in the caliper. New calipers form Ford are around $200 :(. I'm sure your local auto parts store sell rebuilt calipers for a lot less :)
I'm sure hoping it's not... I can't take the brakes apart thanks to the last guy who worked on the car... Tightened the nuts so much I can't loosen them... Already broke 3 sockets in the process

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
If you lived near me, I have a breaker bar and a set of air sockets. I know I could get it loose :)

Reactions: ONEZ ST

·
Super Moderator
7,527 Posts
I'm sure hoping it's not... I can't take the brakes apart thanks to the last guy who worked on the car... Tightened the nuts so much I can't loosen them... Already broke 3 sockets in the process
Calipers will range from $50 on line at places like RockAuto, to $75 at AutoZone. If you determine the caliper is bad take it with you and save the core deposit. Be sure to clean that fluid off everything and consider new disc pads if they are saturated.

Reactions: David Young

·
Registered
9,445 Posts
my best guess is also the rubber seal that covers the piston when it extends/retracts . . . probably caused by not having the correct tool when retracting the piston, and using plyers instead (ask me how I know . . . )

maybe you'll have to go back to the same shop and ask them to use the same impact gun to loosen the bolts, and when you leave you can explain that you won't be coming back, because they should know better than to use an impact gun to tighten those bolts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts