Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just out cleaning up the engine on my car and decided to go underneath to get to a tough spot on the firewall when I noticed a tiny bit of fluid on the underbody. I wiped my finger on it to see what it was and it was red, like tranny fluid or power steering fluid. It was a very small amount but was about to drip on the ground when I caught it. Its gonna be hard for me to describe where its at since I really am just learning about auto repairs but Ill give it a shot. I would take a pic but my digital camera was stolen so...

On the passenger side it would be in about the middle of the door theres 4 lines running underneath. 2 black and 2 silver. One silver is about 1/2 inch in diameter and the other lines are about 1/4 inch. Anyhow theres a harness attatched to the body to hold those lines in place and right by there is where I found the drip. Its on the corner of the sheet metal closest to where the x in the x-pipe is right where it starts to go up and over the driveshaft. Anyone have any clues or ideas? Id like to try and tackle this on my own cuz Im sick of having to depend on a mechanic for repairs. Thanks for whatever help you guys can offer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok went back and looked a bit better to seee if I could get a little more to go on and found this (bear with my poor description)

Where the shafts connect and pivot theres a collar. On there I found Fluid also getting ready to drip. I had cleaned off under the car where the other fluid was found and took the car out for a drive and once back there was more fluid where I just cleaned. Ive read all over these boards and am pretty sure its power steering fluid. It looks like while driving its spraying onto the underbody of the car. I read on here that theres a fluid thats meant to stop P/S leaks. Should I try that or should I try figuring out where exactly its leaking from. Im having a pretty hard time pinpointing the spot since it seems to only do it while driving.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok scratch that last post. Its Trans fluid and I got a camera to take a shot of it. The picture below is where I found fluid dripping the last time I looked. It seems to be spraying onto the underbody as the driveshaft turns. Anyone know what that seals called? It seems to be coming out where the driveshaft goes in.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes!!! I know!!!!

I found the same oil on the bottom of my car (99 Gt) up abouve the real mufflers. Had a friend look at it at a good shop and it is coming from the pinion seal ( little seal) where the driveshaft meets the rear end. Only cost $100.00 to repair!! The reason the oil is all over the bottom is because the driveshaft spins and throws it all over. Nick

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sounds like the tailshaft seal on the transmission.
Especially if you have aftermarket gears, driveshaft, etc. It's a common problem with the 4r70w as well.

Look if the yellow seal on the inside of the extention housing (where the trans meets the driveshaft) has any fluid on it, or if it looks chewed up at all. There might also be a drip of fluid hanging directly below that seal on the extention housing.

Also, if it seems more like the fluid is coming from the top of the tranny, there are a few plugs that it could be coming from up there should they have worked themselves loose or not been properly (re)installed. Had any type of trans/drivetrain work done?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.