Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i drained my radiator, and used the prestone super flush stuff and filled it with water drove around with the heater on full and let it run for a bit drained it out refilled and circulated everything again. then drained flushed with water and refilled.

now the inside is still full of scale white yucky scale didnt seem to eat any of it away. also the plastic drain is hard to get back in all the way can i safely run it with it screwed in like 3 full turns?

anythign i can do short of buying a new radiator to get all the scale off? there was no rust or anythign in the coolant that came out nor was there oil. car runs nice and cool only get to A or M even in traffic.

·
Registered
194 Posts
take it to a local radiator shop, they can dip it in acid to get everything out, they will flow test it and then repaint it black, local shops here do it from $60-100, depending on size

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i mean it stays cool and all just looks bleh inside i know the flow is restricted and i will need a bigger better one when i get my modding done so maybe i should just invest in a good 2 row now?

·
Registered
708 Posts
i mean it stays cool and all just looks bleh inside i know the flow is restricted and i will need a bigger better one when i get my modding done so maybe i should just invest in a good 2 row now?
I would go with a 3 row if you are replacing the radiator.
While you have it apart, change the hoses and install a new T-stat and radiator cap also, Cheap insurance.
I just changed out my 20 year old radiator with a 3 row and did all of the above. I also replaced the fan clutch and plastic fan because mine was cracked all over.
She runs nice and cool now with a 195 deg T-stat.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i upgraded my fan clutch last year cause i had no idea how old the one on it was so cheap insurance i went with the HD one.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The 5.0 Stang i just Bought is nasty inside the radiator! reallly nasty. i need to flush it asap! it runs cool but i know it is restricted. inside the radiator is a **** loads of rust and gold water.

What should i do about cleaning it all out?

·
Registered
547 Posts
just keep flushing it with water

·
Registered
956 Posts
FYI.....radiators get minerals built up in them because people fill them up with water from their house or hose, if you don't want mineral deposits you have to go get some distilled water to mix with your antifreeze, even if you use water from the hose to rinse it out it wont take long to start building up deposits.....i would do any rinsing with distilled water also....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.