Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here goes....I just finished up my engine rebuild and started her up today with no problems :yup:. I am having trouble, however, adding fluid to the transmission. Everytime I try to add fluid, it spews out of the overflow tube. I drained it and pulled it out of the car with the engine so I know it isnt full. Plus, the car won't shift into gear. I need to find a way to get the fluid to stay in. I put 8 qts. into the tranny before i started the engine and it shot most of it (looked like it anyway) right out. The transmission is a 69 FMX. Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
When you drained it, did you drain the torque converter, or did you just drain the pan, if you just drained the pan, then 3 or 4 qts is all it will probably hold, if you drained the torque converter and the pan, then it will hold about 11 qts, IF you drained both, you have to add about 3 qts at a time, run the engine for about 1min, shut it off and add 3 more qts, run it about a minute, add two more qts, leave it running this time and and keep adding fluid as you check the dip stick, when it is about a 1/2 inch below the add mark, stop adding, shift it through the gears put it back into park, check the fluid level and add more if you need to, to the level I suggested, the trans needs to be at operating temp to do your final check on level where it is to be above the add and below the max, also it will have a small amount of air in it, that will disappear and change the level a little. I wouldn't drive it yet until you are done. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
You don't have to - and SHOULD NOT shut the engine off to add fluid. Fill it with the engine idling in Park so the converter is kept filled and the oil circulated. You have to have the engine idling in Park to check the oil level.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
My tranny guy puts half of the required fluid in the tranny before starting the car then adds the rest until full after the car is running at an idle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I drained some of the fluid out of the converter. I called my local tranny shop and he suggested that I broke the drive on my pump when I installed the converter. I have tried to add fluid but it wont take any more. I put some in the transmission before I started it and broke it in. I tried to add more after I broke in the engine and it wouldnt take any. It would just shoot it out of the overflow. The trans guy said that if i didnt get the converter all the way onto the shaft when I installed it, the moment that I started it up it would have broken the drive tabs off. I am probably going to end up pulling the transmission (again:weeps) and taking it down for a new pump. I havent been able to get the trans to engage in any shifter position and havent been able to add fluid, even with a significant amount of run time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.