Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'd imagine I am not the only person with the HID option that doesn't like at all how the fog lights are a much more yellowish color then, of course, our white HIDs.

Has anyone found a solution to this? Maybe some bulbs or something that would replace the factory ones so they have a matching white light appearance?

J

·
0 Posts
Sylvania makes a "cool blue" halogen as well as their "SilverStar" brand which is whiter. GE also has a "Nighthawk Platinum" brand which is much brighter and whiter. Phillips has their "CrystalVision." You can also hunt eBay for some LED replacement bulbs.

·
Registered
407 Posts
The best bulbs that match factory are going to have a 4300K heat range. This is the same as a Ford Factory HID. I bought mine here and they matched perfectly with my in grille lights and later when I bought them for my C/S front end.

Hoen high performance halogen

·
Registered
680 Posts
just go to DDM tuning or somewhere and get a 35w 4300k kit for your fog lights. shouldn't be more than 50 bucks or so, 4300k is usually the closest match to oem HIDs

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I appreciate what you're saying and originally had intended to change that right away too but now that I have the car I sorta hate to mess with the factory setup. I do alot of city and non-divided highway driving and so far no one has ever brighted me with any combo of the head and fogs on.

·
Registered
361 Posts
thanks for the info in this thread. upon taking delivery and driving home last night i noticed the fogs having a yellowish tint to them which is fine if i didn't have the HID's. so i'm gonna replace them with the Sylvania Silverstars first chance i get; already looked and the Advance Auto by me has them in stock.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Are they fog lights or driving lights? If they are fog lights they should be MORE yellow.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Even if you replace them with Silverstar Ultras, which I did, they won't be a perfect match, but they are 10x better. I'd say they're around 4000K to the HID's 4300-4500K color.

·
Registered
361 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The best bulbs that match factory are going to have a 4300K heat range. This is the same as a Ford Factory HID. I bought mine here and they matched perfectly with my in grille lights and later when I bought them for my C/S front end.

Hoen high performance halogen
I clicked the link but there appears to be 6 different lights under the
Xenonmatch Fog light bulbs. Could you specify why you purchased?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didnt know this but it seems lights come rated in a wattage * heat range type index to help classify them? Am I understanding this correctly?

So I'd be looking for a 35 wattage 4300 heat range fog light bulb if I were to go to my local advance auto or pep boys store?

·
Registered
361 Posts
the Sylvania Silverstar is 45W according to its packaging

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I think 4300K is too yellow.. anyone else think so??

I just went up to 6k and it is HARDLY blue at all... I mean really, unless you are looking at the bulb or the housing real close, it doesn't look blue.

EDIT: I should state that after reading my post, I make it sound that they are blue.. well as far as I am concerned when standing away from the car (as a fellow driver on the road) these lights to not appear blue at all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I always used to replace my fog/driving light bulbs with yellow tinted bulbs. I thought they cut through rain / fog better, but my two primary reasons:
1) I like the way they look on GT2 cars, and I'm vain as f*ck.
2) In rural areas, the only place I ever need that much light, even in the fog, I believe the yellow is a lot easier for on-coming eyes to recover from.

If you've ever had a euro car with HIDs, they have a very specific light pattern and usually have a mechanism to tilt the bulbs up/down depending on the incline you're driving on to keep from blinding on-coming traffic. It doesn't appear that domestics have these regulations from DOT?

Bright HIDs, paired with really bright white fogs, blinds the bejezzus out of my old eye balls and after a car has passed, it takes me a good couple of beats for eye sight to recover.

I've also noticed that really bright fogs bounces a crap load of light back at me. But our fog is more like misty rain.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I have and like the Hoen Xenonmatch bulbs as well.

Xenonmatch on right, stock on left.

Xenonmatch at night.

Stock fog bulb.

Xenonmatch bulb.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
These are from my last car, 2006 Chevy Monte Carlo SS.

Osram Night Breaker (UK Silverstars) on the left, and stock bulbs on the right.

Fogs: Sylvania Silverstar (NOT Ultra) on the left and stock on the right.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
I think 4300K is too yellow.. anyone else think so??

I just went up to 6k and it is HARDLY blue at all... I mean really, unless you are looking at the bulb or the housing real close, it doesn't look blue.

EDIT: I should state that after reading my post, I make it sound that they are blue.. well as far as I am concerned when standing away from the car (as a fellow driver on the road) these lights to not appear blue at all.

I'm using 8000K bulbs. I thought they would be too blue. They look much better than I thought they would.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts