Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
? 1. does any make a plate for a 3550 tremec to 302 block.

2. what headers to use, i was thinking 95 gt long tubes would fit.

3. can i leave the computer i the car to run the speedo and other things

My plan is a 347 or 408 stroker with a carb.

Tell me your honest opinion if u would

thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why not use a modular 5.0 boss block a lot stronger than a regular 5.0 block and everything will bolt right up.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
D&D might have the bellhousing, however what you are doing is not a good idea since you are going from "mod" motor to small block, you'll have to replace the entire drivetrain, cooling and computer system, and more: at that point you should just sell the car and build a 94 or 95 GT to what you want.
If you just want a great fast car, look for a terminator engine takeout...it would be about the same cost as a stroker build and would bolt right in.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Why is everybody answer just get a terminator? There are plenty of 2v making serious power for a lot less than the terminator. The boss block is not a stroker build it uses stock size internals, but has an increased bore size to reach the 5.0. I will have less in my big bore stroker than a terminated pull out and will have a brand new motor not one that someone might have beat the piss out of.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Check out this post for some ideas of the problems that may lie in your path:

New here,got a question. - Mustang Forums at StangNet

The PCM is make to function in a "whole car". Take the engine management duties away, the PCM doesn't know what what to do. Well actually, the PCM "assumes" that the motor isn't running and therefore, doesn't activate some of the other things that the PCM controls.

The factory PCM is going to need some kind of "signal" so that it knows when the motor is running. Otherwise, things like the AC and cooling fan are not going to function. The usual way is with the crank trigger signal (CKP). But with this application, there won't be a CKP sensor.

If you are good with wiring, then all of these issues can be over come. How to over come the problems depends on how the car is to be used. For example, if this is a track car, then it's not important for the AC to work.

On the other hand, your wiring is weak, well.....you have been warned.

You did ask for an honest answer. The other guys are advising that a modular motor with a similar engine management system will be easier to install because the PCM is designed to work with a motor set up the same way (FI, CKP, COP).

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
^ Yup.

I've kept up with a couple of these 4.6 to big block or whatever conversion threads over the last couple years, with work being performed by seemingly knowledgeable and competent people, and statistically the odds of these kinds of swaps are not typically positive in terms of the outcome. The story usually ends with the guy getting frustrated and running out of money and selling the car or at least what's left of it.

Not saying it can't or shouldn't be done, but it is essential that the person performing the swap have at a minimum, good to excellent fabrication and auto electric skills, and deep pockets don't hurt either. If that does not describe you, you may want to consider a different approach to this project.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i could build 408 for about half of what i could a mod motor. plus the re tune.

the computer would be for the speedo and thats is it i think

the ac and heater core would go.

i would do all the work but the machine work for the block

1 - 7 of 7 Posts