Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Ecoboost Premium convertible
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 1971 429 CobraJet Mustang could do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds
Today’s standard Ecoboost Mustang gets to 60 mph in just over five seconds.

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
I am only pining for the prices of the past; today's V8's are plenty fast enough for me!
:) ;) (y)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am only pining for the prices of the past; today's V8's are plenty fast enough for me!
1970 Boss 302 price: $3270.

adjusted for inflation to 2021 dollars: $23,000.

today’s base ecoboost fastback that significantly outperforms that 302 in every way: $27,000.

so really, the prices are not higher!

·
Administrator
8,777 Posts
At my age I could really care less about the performance, I like the look and sound of a vehicle. You can get the right sound from most any V8 but there is something about the look of some of those old muscle cars a 69 Mustang, 67 Impala, 66-72 Chevelle, 69 Charger and I could keep going.

Now none of those old cars make for as good of a daily driver as any new car today but they sure are going to turn a head a lot faster then most of the new cars today, to me they just have more style and look amazing.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts

today’s base ecoboost fastback that significantly outperforms that 302 in every way: $27,000.

so really, the prices are not higher!
That’s not apples to apples. You’d need to compare the Eco to1970’s base mustang prices and the CobraJet to a New Shelby of some variety.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That’s not apples to apples. You’d need to compare the Eco to1970’s base mustang prices and the CobraJet to a New Shelby of some variety.
No, and the reason why is in my original post in the thread. Your money, adjusted for inflation, buys you much better performance in every regard nowadays. more power AND better fuel economy, better crash safety, better and more ergonomic seats, better audio systems, better heating and AC, better lights, better security, better remote features, better handling....

the cobrajet 429 made 370hp. The hi-performance ecoboost makes 330! So one could reasonably compare those two engines. Given the 2.3L is a couple hundred pounds lighter, it nearly makes up the HP difference. Adjusted for inflation, you are getting more for your money today.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
At my age I could really care less about the performance, I like the look and sound of a vehicle. You can get the right sound from most any V8 but there is something about the look of some of those old muscle cars a 69 Mustang, 67 Impala, 66-72 Chevelle, 69 Charger and I could keep going.

Now none of those old cars make for as good of a daily driver as any new car today but they sure are going to turn a head a lot faster then most of the new cars today, to me they just have more style and look amazing.
I’m not interested in turning heads. I’m interested in my own driving experience, and in my own opinion of the look of the car. And I would far rather hear my wonderful audio system playing Mahler or Thelonious Monk with the top down than have a loud exhaust that screams to the whole neighborhood at once LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME!! as it prevents me from hearing my music.... or hearing the pretty lady in the passenger seat.

That said, I cannot fault anyone who wishes to be noticed in a 1969 fastback. One of the best looking cars ever made.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
No, and the reason why is in my original post in the thread. Your money, adjusted for inflation, buys you much better performance in every regard nowadays. more power AND better fuel economy, better crash safety, better and more ergonomic seats, better audio systems, better heating and AC, better lights, better security, better remote features, better handling....

the cobrajet 429 made 370hp. The hi-performance ecoboost makes 330! So one could reasonably compare those two engines. Given the 2.3L is a couple hundred pounds lighter, it nearly makes up the HP difference. Adjusted for inflation, you are getting more for your money today.
A ‘64 Corvair is safer and faster than a Model T as well.
In the late 90’s and early 2000’s the “Pony Cars” (Mustang GT, Z28, Forumla) were running $25k or so. Yes, new Camry’s would give a late 90’s Mustang a run for its Money, but at the time you were “cooler” because you had a GT instead of the V6 mustang. Now it cost closer to $40k (new) to be “cooler.” I haven’t noticed the wage increase that I hear some speak of. At one point I could afford a new V8 Pony Car, but now I either have to be “uncool” or buy used. Used for the win I guess..
Edit To be modern day CobraJet cool (apples:apples) you’re talking $90k GT500.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The 1971 429 CobraJet Mustang could do 0-60 in 6.5 seconds
Today’s standard Ecoboost Mustang gets to 60 mph in just over five seconds.
From what I remember reading years ago I believe the Boss 351 was the fastest American production car(or was it just Mustang?) for many years after 1971. It could do 0-60 in 5.7s and it would sound, look, and smell much better doing it than most any newer car imo. I definitely know the 1971 429CJ wasn't the fastest though. As I recall the weight was a big factor among other things.
I get what you're saying though. Reliability, gas mileage, comfort, etc can't even compare to todays cars and that's why I love my 2014. However, the one thing that will never be able to compare to a vintage car is the beauty, style, and freedom of design that they had. Nothing like that can be made today for many regulatory reasons.

Just as a follow up the Boss 351 got 14.1s in the 1/4! However, you'd have to take the really bad 11-14 mpg that you could expect from driving it too. That was pretty average mpg for a v8 back then though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
About regulatory reasons: a main one is the removal of lead from gasoline. Turns out, that has ultimately (ahem) led to major performance improvements! So don’t (ahem) knock it. :cool:

After the petulant American automakers watches sales in the 1970s and 80s flow to the Japanese and Europeans, they decided to finally give up on producing crap cars as punishment for being regulated.... and get back in the performance game. Now we have no-knock no-lead engine configurations that clearly supersede the muscle-car heyday in performance. Given how poisonous lead is to the human body, and to virtually all other animal and plant and insect species, this is a win-win-wn.

·
Headquarters
153 Posts
From what I remember reading years ago I believe the Boss 351 was the fastest American production car(or was it just Mustang?) for many years after 1971. It could do 0-60 in 5.7s and it would sound, look, and smell much better doing it than most any newer car imo. I definitely know the 1971 429CJ wasn't the fastest though. As I recall the weight was a big factor among other things.
I get what you're saying though. Reliability, gas mileage, comfort, etc can't even compare to todays cars and that's why I love my 2014. However, the one thing that will never be able to compare to a vintage car is the beauty, style, and freedom of design that they had. Nothing like that can be made today for many regulatory reasons.

Just as a follow up the Boss 351 got 14.1s in the 1/4! However, you'd have to take the really bad 11-14 mpg that you could expect from driving it too. That was pretty average mpg for a v8 back then though.
There was a lot to love about the Boss 351. But not its rear window because you can barely see anything behind

·
Registered
10,636 Posts

hmmmm, well, I do see your point about performance/$ ; but last time I did the math, 27 was bigger than 23 ; and the old Boss "outperforms" the new eco on "attitude" and maybe "atmosphere" by a mile, depending on how you rate those subjective attributes
:) ;)

·
Administrator
13,320 Posts
^^ I agree^^, back in 1969 I paid $3,600 for a brand new Road Runner. Of course I was only making $200 every two weeks as a Philadelphia police officer. It`s all relative I guess...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmmmm, well, I do see your point about performance/$ ; but last time I did the math, 27 was bigger than 23 ; and the old Boss "outperforms" the new eco on "attitude" and maybe "atmosphere" by a mile, depending on how you rate those subjective attributes
:) ;)
I get it. However, I do think the 2015+ Mustang, in all its versions, represents a truly worthy successor to that heritage. More so than any Mustang that came in between (though the 2005-2014 also has its charms).

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
The factory line lock kit and interior are the only thing that I'd want from the 2015 up. I'm not happy with the side view or the front view of the car but to each his own. The S550 does have a nice ass though.

·
Registered
8,204 Posts
^^ I agree^^, back in 1969 I paid $3,600 for a brand new Road Runner. Of course I was only making $200 every two weeks as a Philadelphia police officer. It`s all relative I guess...
CJ Pony is saying that a ‘71 base Mustang’s MSRP was $3,006 and that adj for inflation that would be $18k today. They say the ‘71 351 Fast back was $4k which would be $25k today. Where can a find a new V8 Mustang for $25k? Or heck, a base model for $18k??

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
my mind goes straight to the $50K+ new GT, which is unaffordable for me; but Coyote1 makes a good point, we don't need a loaded GT to beat the performance from back in the day . . . but there are some "intangibles" around the V8 that make a big difference to me, that isn't measured in the straight performance numbers

Reactions: Cobrajet67

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
my mind goes straight to the $50K+ new GT, which is unaffordable for me; but Coyote1 makes a good point, we don't need a loaded GT to beat the performance from back in the day . . . but there are some "intangibles" around the V8 that make a big difference to me, that isn't measured in the straight performance numbers
Other posters in this thread seem to have identified it: the ‘cool’ factor. The bragging rights thing, the (real or imagined) head-turning, the exhaust note, etc. I guess that, because a Mustang was nowhere on my radar until I drove the rental convertible in Florida, I’ve never been swept up in the whole social component of pony/muscle car ownership.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts