Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can people please confirm what their tunes are like at around 3000 rpm, do you get fast revs like a turbo has kicked in?

The reason I ask is my first tunes from bama were like this but I decided that I wanted that smoothing out so it was more drivable. The nice guys at BAMA quickly modified them for me and I was sent new tunes. The new tunes were were smooth through the full rev range, but didn't seem as fast.

So a month down the line I fancied trying the "fast revs" again that were in the original tunes as they seemed faster so I requested the original tunes, but these were smooth again, so I wonder if the first tune had errors?

Feedback is appreciated :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
50 Posts
I experienced the exact same issue with my tunes. The throttle was almost like a light switch...it was ok up to about 2500 rpm's and then it was wide open throttle or nothing. The good news though is that they have excellent customer service and will turn around new tunes for you in no time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The BAMA team are top notch, that's for sure.

What I'm trying to work out is what is intended normal from the BAMA tune, is it supposed to be 2500RPM and "SHHHHH*****T" or should it be smooth throughout the range?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think tuning the 3.7L is still in the "trial and error" phase for most vendors. I would imagine they've been tweaking as they go in order to get a more polished product as they get more customer feedback.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I have the BAMA tunes, but there is something you need to realize: our cars have a smart computer in them, in order to 'learn' our driving habits. If you've been driving your car passively (like a grandma), then the car will react accordingly: like a grandma. This happens regardless of your tunes. Where the tunes shine is when the car wakes up and learns that its 'driver' is far more aggressive (and thus does not care about MPG -- which is why Ford made the on board computer this way), then the car will react far more aggressively.

In order to take advantage of the tunes, or if you are wanting to feel that aggressiveness, start driving around more aggressively and you should notice the car will begin to pick up faster.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I don't think the "learning" affects anything other than the shifting in automatics. The system will automatically adjust shift points and firmness based on the driver's history but it doesn't change engine parameters.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The BAMA team are top notch, that's for sure.

What I'm trying to work out is what is intended normal from the BAMA tune, is it supposed to be 2500RPM and "SHHHHH*****T" or should it be smooth throughout the range?
There should definitely be some type of throttle modulation and not just wide open throttle after 2500rpm unless you are on a race tune. They were able to smooth this out for me on the second round of tunes.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I experienced the exact same issue with my tunes. The throttle was almost like a light switch...it was ok up to about 2500 rpm's and then it was wide open throttle or nothing. The good news though is that they have excellent customer service and will turn around new tunes for you in no time.
^^It was the same for my tunes, i actually called BAMA to make sure it was behaving the way it was designed to.

I'm sure allot of other drivers around here were thinking i was trying to:racer: race them simply because the car goes like a bat out of hell:taz: after 2500rpm, in my experience with each tune i have found that if you do not like the jump after 2500rpm than you should go with a Street tune as they make the power bellow 3000rpm and are allot smoother around the entire band.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
My favorite is the 93 Performance tune. I think it's smoother than stock. The 93 Race tune is exactly like some of you described. It's almost hard to drive it smooth at low to mid throttle. Makes me feel like I'm 16 again learning to drive a stick. Only way I can smooth out the race tune is to drop the hammer on it. Full throttle, white knuckles, hold on.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Can people please confirm what their tunes are like at around 3000 rpm, do you get fast revs like a turbo has kicked in?

The reason I ask is my first tunes from bama were like this but I decided that I wanted that smoothing out so it was more drivable. The nice guys at BAMA quickly modified them for me and I was sent new tunes. The new tunes were were smooth through the full rev range, but didn't seem as fast.

So a month down the line I fancied trying the "fast revs" again that were in the original tunes as they seemed faster so I requested the original tunes, but these were smooth again, so I wonder if the first tune had errors?

Feedback is appreciated :bigthumbsup
Can you indicate which tunes you were using that had the "hot throttle" response? Octane/Street/Performance/Race ?

·
Registered
540 Posts
That is exactly how their race tunes are. When you order them they offer an adjustment that instead of puttin the pedal to the floor you only need to go halfway to be at WOT. Chris AM posted this in another post search for it and it will describe what you had originally. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Stock or tuned, my V6 has always been a bit sluggish at the low end compared to the middle-top. Bama definitely smoothed this over but the fact remains that our HP/TQ combo comes alive at around 3K no matter what you do. Perhaps piston head/arm or crank shaft mods further down the road can pull some real TQ down lower in the future. Or headers? I'm still trying to find a dyno sheet on some BBK LT's.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Can you indicate which tunes you were using that had the "hot throttle" response? Octane/Street/Performance/Race ?
She only gets 91 octane and it was the same with all tunes, race being extra mental lol. The new tunes smoothed the revs out, it was hard to drive normal as I shift at 3k (normally) but drive at 2k.

First impression was WTF!! I pulled off the drive in reverse, went into first and went immediately into WOT at 2.5k. I've got a stop sign very close to my house and was soon there. It was pretty much bonkers with my regular shifting points.

I certainly don't granny this car, that's for sure. It's my toy and she will see the redline often.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
She only gets 91 octane and it was the same with all tunes, race being extra mental lol. The new tunes smoothed the revs out, it was hard to drive normal as I shift at 3k (normally) but drive at 2k.

First impression was WTF!! I pulled off the drive in reverse, went into first and went immediately into WOT at 2.5k. I've got a stop sign very close to my house and was soon there. It was pretty much bonkers with my regular shifting points.

I certainly don't granny this car, that's for sure. It's my toy and she will see the redline often.
It sounds like - from another thread - :
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2011-v6-mustang-tech/282292-ordered-my-3-tunes-am-last-week.html

the problem may have to do with a software change made by SCT that wasn't picked up by AM/BAMA. Maybe Chris can comment?:?: Wonder if this effects other people's tunes?:?: AM's comment from the other thread was:
"Thanks for your patience, I really appreciate it. I took a look at your order and it looks like we're tuning for a 2011 V6. Right now, our turnaround time for 2011 tunes in general and the V6's specifically is longer than usual. SCT updated their tuning software, which caused some of our customers to experience running issues with our 2011 tunes. We've worked with SCT to correct this, and are in the final phases or rewriting the 2011 V6 tunes."

J

·
0 Posts
DBW cars like ours have thottle tables to control throttle input since there's no cable. You can really alter the cars character by changing the throttle table. I'd assume that they revised the table to smooth that out.

·
Registered
429 Posts
There's definitely a bump with the 93 race tune. Puts a smile on my face every time I hit it. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.