Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if you guys running around without a spare, keep a can of fix a flat handy or just trust in roadside assistance if a flat were to ever occur.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm one of those guys. I guess I'm to lazy to buy one, but I've been driving my 'stang for about 3 years with no flats (knock on wood), but now that I've replied to this post I'll probably have one tomorrow. Lol! I don't keep any fix-a-flat handy, but I usually just drive to work or my inlaws to pick up my sons so I my chances of a flat are less. I wanna pick up another rim and tire so I'll have a good replacement instead of those God awful donuts, but I'm not sure it will fit in the spare department.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Pick up my car last Saturday. I insisted that they provide a spare, it will be donut though. Don't know how long it'll take to get here. They may have just been screwing with me to get me out of there now that they made the sale :anianger: .

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'll be looking to by a spare to fit into the empty space in the trunk that's meant for one. Any links to one?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The Mustangs without spare tires come with a tire pump and a can of fix a flat. I bought a tire plug kit to keep in there too because I've had to plug my tires twice already.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Mustangs without spare tires come with a tire pump and a can of fix a flat. I bought a tire plug kit to keep in there too because I've had to plug my tires twice already.
There's already a can in there?? I noticed the pump but didn't poke around enough to notice. That's more reassuring.

I also called les schwab to verify that they'll patch tires that have used fix a flat, and the guy said they would.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
There's already a can in there?? I noticed the pump but didn't poke around enough to notice. That's more reassuring.

I also called les schwab to verify that they'll patch tires that have used fix a flat, and the guy said they would.

Just make sure you don't use the clear hose if you don't need it.
Black one is the pump, clear one is the fix a flat.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't trust the tire sealant crap and I'm also annoyed that it ruins the TPMS sensor in the tire after you use it, so I bought a spare GT tire off of ebay. It's sitting in the basement along with the jack that I got while I impatiently wait for my Mustang to arrive.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't trust the tire sealant crap and I'm also annoyed that it ruins the TPMS sensor in the tire after you use it, so I bought a spare GT tire off of ebay. It's sitting in the basement along with the jack that I got while I impatiently wait for my Mustang to arrive.
Ha I love it, buying parts for a car you dont own yet.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well I have installed bullit mags on my stang and will sell the factory tires for spares if any one wants
Mike

·
Registered
360 Posts
Thinking about being, say 100 miles from home some Saturday and hitting a pot hole giving me a ruined tire and a bent, unusuable rim, and having to stay at a motel until Monday when the wheel supplier opens, got me to immediately purchase a donut, jack and wrench. The donut was $100 on ebay including shipping from CA to NY, and the jack and wrench were $3 at a swap meet.
It was listed as for a 2005 tp 2011 and the numbers all look good, but I will hang it on the lugs one of these days.

·
Registered
364 Posts
If you have Brembos

I went with the same set up as Marvin11 and also used a 225/50R18 as he did. The only difference is mine is a DR34 and not DR31 and the only difference is looks as far as I can find. It fits over the Brembos and it seems the best for all conditions. If you blow a side wall then a can of goo will not help. My tire is a tight fit and does stick up about 1.5". I only carry it on road trips. It is a tire and rim that looks very much like stock and you can leave it on as long as you want and do whatever you like. I also carry a good plug kit and the compressor just in case. For those who want a completely level trunk then you could add 2x2's to the trunk insert and it will sit level with only minimal space lost and it would look completely stock.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a spare, but also carry a plug kit. Plugging a tire is very easy and you don't have to worry about cleaning or replacing the TPMS sensor. I started carrying a plug kit and mini-compressor on my motorcycle since I can't carry a set of spares and just started doing the same in the car for convenience. You can get a kit at any auto parts store or Wal-Mart for less than $5. -Thomas

·
Registered
55 Posts
Spare

Thought I would let you folks know what I ended up doing. One evening my wife and I were driving thru a remote section of road and that damn TPMS sensor lit up. I got outa the car and could hear the tire hissing away. Puncture in the sidewall, not a good place for that.
No cell coverage, no traffic, no anything around. I had purchased a plug kit and gave it a try, worked. After we got done and back on the road, my wife says to me, what the hell would I have done if you were not here? I haven't had a flat in 20 years, and wouldn't ya know, a flat on the car with no spare.
I ended up finding a Ford Explorer rim 17inch and a used 235/55/17 tire (its just a couple tenths smaller than the 255/50/18s on the car) and it fits the whole in the trunk perfectly. I tried the old tire and it was a very tight fit. So now I have a full spare and new jack for a total of $100.
Hope I don't ever need them!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thought I would let you folks know what I ended up doing. One evening my wife and I were driving thru a remote section of road and that damn TPMS sensor lit up. I got outa the car and could hear the tire hissing away. Puncture in the sidewall, not a good place for that.
No cell coverage, no traffic, no anything around. I had purchased a plug kit and gave it a try, worked. After we got done and back on the road, my wife says to me, what the hell would I have done if you were not here? I haven't had a flat in 20 years, and wouldn't ya know, a flat on the car with no spare.
I ended up finding a Ford Explorer rim 17inch and a used 235/55/17 tire (its just a couple tenths smaller than the 255/50/18s on the car) and it fits the whole in the trunk perfectly. I tried the old tire and it was a very tight fit. So now I have a full spare and new jack for a total of $100.
Hope I don't ever need them!
I'm all for plugging a tire (see my last post) and you probably already know this, but generally, sidewall punctures should not be plugged. I understand that in this situation you had no other choice, and I would have done the same, but make sure you replace the tire ASAP. Now a plug in the tread, I'll drive that until until the tires need replacing from wear. Since you plug your own tires, you probably already know this, but others may not. -Thomas

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Would be nice to know all the different wheel choices we have to search for different spare tire options.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm all for plugging a tire (see my last post) and you probably already know this, but generally, sidewall punctures should not be plugged. I understand that in this situation you had no other choice, and I would have done the same, but make sure you replace the tire ASAP. Now a plug in the tread, I'll drive that until until the tires need replacing from wear. Since you plug your own tires, you probably already know this, but others may not. -Thomas
Very true...good point. I was planning to mention that and I did replace the tire as soon as I got back home. In fact I was lucky a plug held in a sidewall. I had stopped at the first tire place I came to just to get their opinion on being able to drive it home.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't have a square to spare. I can't spare a square.

Sorry, that's all I think of when I see a subject about spare's.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.