Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok so im planning on buying the procharger system for my 88 5.0 stock long block with 36k miles on it. It has a GT40 tubular intake, bassani equal length headers, magnaflow cali cats, spintech 9000s, 175amp alt, contour fans, and misomoto radiator, stock autopart store brand distributor, accel ceramic wires, and screaming demon coil.

So far I purchased the MSD 6AL-2 Programmable ignition box to be used for the timing and boost retarding functions. It states to use the timing functions I need to lock out my distributor so im assuming to do this I just keep the spout removed? Anyone here run their boosted 5.0 with this ignition box? I'm trying to stay California smog compliant and any tunes to the computer are illegal but this ignition box is carb compliant so this is the only way I see how I can program my timing and boost retarding and still be cali legal? The procharger im going to buy is a smog legal 9psi system with intercooler main reason I picked the procharger unit is its the only one with a air to air intercooler and 9psi. The vortech and paxtons are 5 to 6psi and have a more complex water to air cooler im not wanting to mess with.

I'm basically getting a little overwhelmed after purchasing this msd Programmable box wondering if this was the wrong thing to get and if it's gonna be too complex to figure out how to plot my timing curve and boost retarding. I've got no problems taking it to a shop to have someone who knows what they are doing but can't seem to find any shops that know anything about theSD 6al-2 Programmable unit. I'm in the southern California area (Temecula, CA) but am willing to go as far north as LA or south San diego if anyone here knows of a good place I can take it to or if someone here thinks this should be a simple easy install I can do myself. I know I can install the supercharger just fine im very good at the mechanical side of things I just am a complete idiot when it comes to tunes and timing and boost retarding and all that stuff that's pretty important I don't wanna poke holes in my pistons nor through my new oil pan lol included some pics of my restoration I've recently completed.

Motor vehicle Hood Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Light Product Hood Blue White Hood Light Motor vehicle Computer hardware Brown Furniture Light Comfort Green Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Product Automotive design Car Gadget Automotive tire Product Automotive design Wheel Tread

·
Super Moderator
4,441 Posts
This is kind of a tough question to answer. Are you buying a new Pro-Charger as a full kit? You didn’t mention fuel system upgrades at all.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

This is kind of a tough question to answer. Are you buying a new Pro-Charger as a full kit? You didn’t mention fuel system upgrades at all.
Yeah its a brand new kit from procharger I have to run the FMU and boost a pump that comes with the kit to stay smog legal. California doesn't allow adjustable FPRs nor do they allow bigger injectors so im stuck with a 19# injectors although I did swap them with the explorer 19# injectors with the 4 spay nozzles. I currently have a 190lph in tank fuel pump but was told that still is too weak and will need to use the boost a pump inline pump that comes with the kit. Linked to kit below

·
Registered
2005 Mustang GT
14 Posts
Your restoration looks beautiful. Sorry I can't help you out with your questions.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So just put in my order for my procharger kit for my 88 mustang 5.0. Ots a stock long block with upgraded bolt on like gt40 intake, equal length headers, magnaflow catted xpipe, stock distributor but accel ceramic wires and a screaming demon coil.

I just purchased the MSD 6AL-2 Programmable unit but not sure of that's the best unit to get for thos application or if I should return it for the 6BTM box instead? I'm a California car and need to obey the smog laws here until I can get the hell out of thos state so no ecu tune allowed will be using the FMU that comes with the kit and im assuming my 6al-2 programmable box will be good for boost timing retarding still not very knowledgeable on timing and retarding under boost and all that stuff maybe someone here has this 6al-2 programmable and can give me some help? I'm also running stock 19# injectors as I can't legally change them out but I have recently discovered that Volvo has yellow/orange 30# injectors that look just like our stock yellow/orange 19# injectors so maybe I can get away with a upgrade injector and the smog guy won't know?

So yeah my first time ever dealing with boosted application and have no clue what to I'm doing please help lol guess they saidnits a 6 week build time for my kit so I got some time to soak up as much info and knowledge as possible

1 - 5 of 5 Posts