Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about sraying my car instead of getting a power adder. I mean id love to go turbo or procharged but the gas prices r insane. This way i can chose wen and wen not to use it. Nothing big, a 75 shot at first just b/c ive never driven a car on spray b4, but if i want more, ill bump it up to a 150. I know a tune is extremely important, but wat puts more strain on ur motor F/I or Spray? This is my DD and i need to keep it reliable. Wat do u guys think?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Bad things can happen with both. At 150 shot you'll be picking your engine parts up off the street. Stuck nozzle or spraying to low will end you engines service life in a heartbeat. Very few second chances when spraying.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
Thinking about sraying my car instead of getting a power adder. I mean id love to go turbo or procharged but the gas prices r insane. This way i can chose wen and wen not to use it. Nothing big, a 75 shot at first just b/c ive never driven a car on spray b4, but if i want more, ill bump it up to a 150. I know a tune is extremely important, but wat puts more strain on ur motor F/I or Spray? This is my DD and i need to keep it reliable. Wat do u guys think?
First off... Nitrous is a power adder, it's just not forced induction which I also assume is what you meant in your title instead of fuel injection? :)

John (fishingjts) windowed his block on nitrous.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off... Nitrous is a power adder, it's just not forced induction which I also assume is what you meant in your title instead of fuel injection? :)

Ya, im guessing a Mod changed my title, its suppose to b Forced induction. But he was probably spraying a crazy ass amount or sprayed in low rpms or something. I mean a kno a crazy LS2 that sprays i think a 500 shot and his crap hasnt gone kaboom yet. i just want some power on reserve w/o hurting my gas milage.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts

actually... i just took a piece of the ring landing off one of the pistons... Not a lot of damage... piston... couple of valves... the problem the LABOR involved to fix it... picked up a lightly used 4.0L for $900!

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Ya, im guessing a Mod changed my title, its suppose to b Forced induction. But he was probably spraying a crazy ass amount or sprayed in low rpms or something. I mean a kno a crazy LS2 that sprays i think a 500 shot and his crap hasnt gone kaboom yet. i just want some power on reserve w/o hurting my gas milage.
125 shot... sprayed at about 2000 to 2200 RPM... broke a piece of the ring landing off...

ummm... spraying 500HP? I got the feeling a STOCK LS2 is not going to handle a 500HP shot... so it's really not a very good comparison... the problem with the 4.0L is the hyperpathic pistons... the ring landing is very thin due to the rings being so close to the top for emissions... they do not handle detonation very well...

supercharger or turbo really won't hurt your gas mileage... problem people have is their right foot gets a lot heavier after the installation... which DOES effect gas mileage...

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang coupe
72,863 Posts
actually... i just took a piece of the ring landing off one of the pistons... Not a lot of damage... piston... couple of valves... the problem the LABOR involved to fix it... picked up a lightly used 4.0L for $900!
I thought you poked a hole in it. My bad. :)

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I thought you poked a hole in it. My bad. :)
nope... actually it didn't run too bad once i fixed the spark plug... although the valve train was a tad noisy, going clackity clack clack.. and the exhaust back fires were pretty interesting... LOL!

problem is the 4.0L is a PITA to work on to fix something like that...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
im assuming its a built motor, lol. dont sc and turbos inject more air into the engine thus causing a bigger bang resulting in more power? if u have more air, u need more fuel as well right? unless u wanna run lean, which im gonna say is most likely bad for ur engine.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
im assuming its a built motor, lol. dont sc and turbos inject more air into the engine thus causing a bigger bang resulting in more power? if u have more air, u need more fuel as well right? unless u wanna run lean, which im gonna say is most likely bad for ur engine.
yes... you force more air in and then you add more fuel to get the proper Air/Fuel Ratio (A/F). Which is why when you buy a Supercharger or Turbo kit you can either:

A) Buy a complete kit which includes a "canned" tune
B) Buy without a "canned" tune and have your local performance shop do a custom dyno tune...

The "canned" tunes are usually very conservative and run a the rich side... to get the most out of you new SC or Turbo a custom dyno tune is best...

In the case of N2O, since the S197 has a returnless fuel system the easiest thing to do is go with a "wet" N2O kit... Not only will you be spraying N2O, but you will also be spraying gasoline... the additional gas is, like you said so you don't run lean...

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so either way ill be sacrificing mpg for a power adder. frigging gas prices r making me think twice about doing anymore mods to my car...

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
so either way ill be sacrificing mpg for a power adder. frigging gas prices r making me think twice about doing anymore mods to my car...
More power means more gas...

·
Registered
786 Posts
Neither mod should affect the milage of your vehicle when commuting/driving around town. Your gas mileage will only be affected by the urge to feel your butt pressed firmly against your seat more often. Dont worry about it. Pick the one that makes you happiest and keep your foot out of it except when you really need your FIX and you will be good as gold and the extra money on fuel will be considered an entertainment expenditure. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Neither mod should affect the milage of your vehicle when commuting/driving around town. Your gas mileage will only be affected by the urge to feel your butt pressed firmly against your seat more often. Dont worry about it. Pick the one that makes you happiest and keep your foot out of it except when you really need your FIX and you will be good as gold and the extra money on fuel will be considered an entertainment expenditure. :bigthumbsup
or course with SC or Turbo you are going to want to use Premium fuel all the time.... with N20, I used it ONLY at the track, so i could run 87 during the week, run the tank to E and then put 94 in on the weekends...

·
Registered
422 Posts
You know, I know it is true (with my current mpg of 12.8-14.5 in a stock V6!) that gunning it kills mileage, but I never could figure out why hard acceleration got worse milage than gentle acceleration when they were both moving the same mass to the same speed. One just does it faster over a shorter time, than the other which does a slower acceleration but over a longer time. Energy in opposition to acceleration of engine components like friction, reciprocating mass, etc. etc. seem like they would be the same too since it is more extreme in one driving style, while dragged on longer in the other. Every aspect I can think of wouldn't seem right since there is always the time factor...

Fishinjts or anyone know? Could help the original poster too since it can show what would/wouldn't kill his mileage.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I get 19mpg in mixed city and highway, im not really complaining, i just dont wanna b getting wat ur getting lol.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
ive talked to a few guys with bot turbos and s/c and they say they love em. even after the mandatory new set of injectors ,fuel milage stays the same as long as they keep the WOT to a minimum, one guy with the x charger claimed 17mpg in town..which is slightly less than what i get now. and the only reason im goin S/c over turbo it ease of instal and a s/c picks up and goes a few sec. faster than the few more sec it takes a turbo to get spinnin

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
<snip>

a s/c picks up and goes a few sec. faster than the few more sec it takes a turbo to get spinnin
that is absolutely NOT TRUE... You need to have someone with the Powerhouse Turbo take you for a ride.. there is no lag... it makes an amazing amount of torque very early...

Do you have it reversed? A centrifugal supercharger (Vortech or ProCharger) comes on slower... it continues to build boost as the RPM increase..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.