Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is for all you engine guys out there. I recently rebuilt a 70's model 302 to put in my 1964 1/2 mustang and I am having some problems with the engine. I can get it started but I have to keep the idle up to keep it running. The carb had a kit put in it and its just a generic carburetor on it. It is a 2-barrel, (soon to be 4v) but I can't get it to idle correctly. I have to keep the idle up and then when I try to put it into drive or reverse it just quits. Do I need to adjust the valves on it or maybe is it something in the carb? Thanks.

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
can we have more info? is it a lack of fuel or a timing issue?

oh yeah, if the VIN of your car starts with aa 5, it is a 65, there are no 64 Mustangs

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it has a new fuel pump and plenty of fuel is getting to the carb. The timing has been set with a timing light. So I'm really confused on whats going on. I think it may be in the carb.

Ford came out with that particualr mustang in 1964 in April, the first ones to come off the line were actually the same as the 1965. But if you will read up on your Mustang material, they started making them in April. Here is an actually quote:

All "1964 1/2" mustangs were registered as 1965's, and Ford referred to these cars as 1964 cars for only a brief period of time. The reason that the car isn't a 1964 is that it didn't come out in October of 1963 with the rest of the new 1964 models. Instead of waiting till 1965, Ford introduced the car in April of 1964.

So the reason I refer to mine as a 1964 1/2 is that has a few minor differences than the 1965. These were actual changes in the 64 and the 65.

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
other than the carb, it can also be the cam is not set right, as for the 1964 myth, genorator or alternator, they are all 65's

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
Jarrett said:
There were many changes between 64 1/2 and the 65's.
http://www.karmustang.com/unique_features.php
I can quote all of those without ever opening that link, but it still boils down to the simple fact that there are ONLY 1965 VIN's, ONLY 1965 part numbers, and even the Henry Ford Museum has the VERY first Mustang on display and they call it a 1965 Mustang!
http://www.hfmgv.org/exhibits/showroom/1965/mustang.html

If the Ford Museum in Dearborn, MI call it a 1965 Mustang, then why should I call it a 1964 1/2?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Wow, there is a 1964 1/2 mustang. I don't know what else to say. But there is one.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Now I thought you were Stang Fans.
You are right. There is No 64 1/2 Mustang as per FMC.
64 1/2 is a designation by collectors to distinguish between early production and later production Stangs for the 65 model year.
There are differences between them that in the collectors mind make them two seperate vehicals. It is even possible to find vehicals that are 1/2 and 1/2 such as my coupe (a sept production car).
But this is a dead horse subject.

·
Banned
4,476 Posts
giving people incorrect information is a bad thing. I give the truth, just like there is no such thing as a Ford Posi-Traction locking diferential, it is a Trak-Loc! Giving out false info, such as the 64 1/2 name is as bad as telling people that you have an 83 Saleen. Yes, there is a HUGE differance between an early 1965 and a late 1965 Mustang, and technically, it should be a 1965 1/2 Mustang, just like the 1968 1/2 428's or the 500 or so 1985 1/2 SVO's

·
Registered
104 Posts
okay, i have a question for you guys.
i have a 2005 V6 mustang. this summer I am Planning to pull the V6 out and replace it with the new ford 302 crate engine. I will be replacing everything that was related to the 6 cylinder engine.

will my V6 transmission still work with the 302?
I found a 05 GT transmission for $1000.00, will this work with the 302?

also, as for AC, power steering, and other accessories, could i just pull those from a 04, or 05 GT mustang?

I know the vortech guys are getting 475rwhp and what 4XX lb/feet torque from a 6, and its still on the stock transmission.
and i dont think the new 302 make that much power or torque... i will be keeping my 302 bone stock as it comes from the crate (the new 302 makes 340 hp its on fords site)

thanks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
302 Is The Best!!!!!!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.