Ford Mustang Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This.

is ludicrous. None of us paid for $35k+ cars to sound like that. I just bought a $2500 car to beat on, and could expect such noises. Not on a brand new car.
Does your car still run? and perform as designed? It just a noise, things could be much worse.

Why would you buy a muscle car not to get on it or beat on it once in a while? Regardless of price, it is just a mustang which is a budgetary 400 plus horsepower car.

Does your car still run? and perform as designed? It just a noise, things could be much worse.

Why would you buy a muscle car not to get on it or beat on it once in a while? Regardless of price, it is just a mustang which is a budgetary 400 plus horsepower car.
Under that logic, I guess you wouldn't mind buying it with a few dents. After all, it still "performs."

Ridiculous, as each offends your senses . . . one your eyes, the other your ears.

cidsamuth,
Your comment made me laugh, and consider, and think about just how much sense all this makes.
Some people are just more picky or aware of sounds-things around them as some are more observant of their surroundings--what they see or don't see or just what registers in their mind.
A big consideration; will it affect reliability? This is what warranty is for, however, if we knew going in to a large purchase we would have negative issues with the product and have to use the warranty we might chose to purchase something different.
Even something older and with no warranty would not be as up setting and could even be expected to require repairs. If the engine or transmission knocked, ticked, or did not function as it should have when new it would be more understood and a reduced priced would be expected.
This leads me to thoughts of diminished value. Even a new but used-titled vehicle with warranty is not worth as much or as desirable if it has defects. The same vehicle with out defects like abnormal engine knocking, ticking, clunking, shifting problems etc. will always be more desirable.
If the vehicle had dents all over from hail damage you would expect to pay less for it. Some people would not even be interested in a dented up vehicle at any price.
We spend a lot of money to have nice supposedly perfect new vehicles. We do this because we are picky, aware, observant, and a car is more than just a tool to go from point A to point B.
If this were not so than just any old vehicle would do and the less expensive to purchase, insure, maintain, and drive the better.

This sound is flat out embarrassing.

I have alot of mechanic friends, and I went to show off my new car to them, and they said "It sounds like you have a leak in your exhaust manifold".

I've wanted a mustang all of my life since I was a kid, and finally saved up enough to own one. Its a great car, but this noise is embarrassing.

This sound is flat out embarrassing.

I have alot of mechanic friends, and I went to show off my new car to them, and they said "It sounds like you have a leak in your exhaust manifold".

I've wanted a mustang all of my life since I was a kid, and finally saved up enough to own one. Its a great car, but this noise is embarrassing.
Hi anarchyx914,

I would like to escalate this for you. Could you please message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can help?

Deysha

Hi anarchyx914,

I would like to escalate this for you. Could you please message me with your dealer, mileage, VIN, and contact info so I can help?

Deysha
Deysha,

I PM'd you with the requested information last Thursday, the 23rd, while my 2011 5.0 was in the shop for its fourth day of being in the service dept. for this tapping sound. I've not received a response from you or anyone else.
This noise began with the first oil change. The second oil change has just made it louder. The dealer told me that when they deactivate cylinder #1 the noise goes away, when they reactivate it the noise returns. But the Ford Hotline says that this is a normal characteristic of this engine. When my vehicle did not make this noise until the first oil change, when new vehicles that are on the lot identical to mine do not make this noise, this makes the tapping sound NOT NORMAL.
I've been following the rough shifting 6-speed manual thread as well and although I don't have issues with my transmission other than an occasional grind and inability to access second gear, not skip shift, I truly feel that I'm running into the same FORD wall of denial. "This is normal for your vehicle". When it comes time to sell my vehicle, what person in their right mind would buy a vehicle with the engine sounding like that?

This will be my first and last FORD product.

Deysha, please contact me.

Off to drive the embarassment

How can they deactivate a cylinder? Turn off fuel or spark maybe but the piston is still going to move up and down.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I never did ask what method they employed to deactivate the cylinder but, I assumed it was on or both of the methods you describe. The description of the work they performed, which I was not allowed to keep, only speaks of what, not how.

Thanks, Deysha.
There seems to be more traffic abut this issue on this site, so that is why I posted here.
JPJr was already taken here, though, so I had to stick in the "_".
:)
Oh, ok! That does make sense.:yup: Let me know if you need me.:D

Deysha

Deysha,

I PM'd you with the requested information last Thursday, the 23rd, while my 2011 5.0 was in the shop for its fourth day of being in the service dept. for this tapping sound. I've not received a response from you or anyone else.
This noise began with the first oil change. The second oil change has just made it louder. The dealer told me that when they deactivate cylinder #1 the noise goes away, when they reactivate it the noise returns. But the Ford Hotline says that this is a normal characteristic of this engine. When my vehicle did not make this noise until the first oil change, when new vehicles that are on the lot identical to mine do not make this noise, this makes the tapping sound NOT NORMAL.
I've been following the rough shifting 6-speed manual thread as well and although I don't have issues with my transmission other than an occasional grind and inability to access second gear, not skip shift, I truly feel that I'm running into the same FORD wall of denial. "This is normal for your vehicle". When it comes time to sell my vehicle, what person in their right mind would buy a vehicle with the engine sounding like that?

This will be my first and last FORD product.

Deysha, please contact me.

Off to drive the embarassment
Hey Mbvlink,

I hope you received my pm and a phone call yesterday. I escalated this for you so they can work with you and your dealer to get this resolved.

Deysha

Deysha, I appreciate you forwarding this up the line. I did receive your PM and I spoke with L.J. on this.
Unfortunately, for me, this action did not help in the least. Both the dealer and L.J. told me that FORD thinks this to be an absolutely normal characteristic of this engine. I was told that the noise will not affect the performance or longevity of the engine. All the while, I have to drive this vehicle in utter embarrassment. I am now proactively telling my story as to how FORD is treating its customers whenever I pull in for gas, park the vehicle amongst other vehicles, and show up for the local cars 'n coffee vehicle meets.
If FORD is saying that this is normal, then they know what is causing it. Why won't FORD fix this? Too expensive? Not widespread enough?
Please escalate that too.
Like I said previously, thanks for your help. But it does me absolutely no good. The company your work for is leaving us out to dry.

Go to the dealer nearby and walk around the lot a salesman will approach you to try and get a sale. Tell them you'd like to take one for a spin then use that as your complaint for the tick on your vehicle as it is not the same as the one on the lot.

The V6 had a similar tick that was fixed in job 2 cars, and a tool was shipped to dealers to fix job 1 cars exhibiting the problem.

I've read that some people brought their cars to the dealer, the dealer added an additive to the oil, and the problem disappeared, only to reappear after the next oil change. Maybe another type of oil would work better, it certainly couldn't hurt to try, especially since Ford has concluded the tap is a normal aspect of the car.

A true synthetic might flow better, of course it'll be trial and error until you find the one that works best.

Red Line Synthetic Oil - Motor Oil - 5W20 Motor Oil

DOHC engines tend to be a bit noisy. The 22RE in my Toyota pickup is extremely noisy, as was the H23 in my old Honda Prelude.

My Mustang makes some tapping noise, doesn't bother me, it's not a Lexus.
Lexus engines make tapping noises also.

My 5.0 is smoother than the Toyota FJ Cruiser it replaced, and my wife's Equinox is smooter than the Lexus RX350 it replaced.

Deysha, I appreciate you forwarding this up the line. I did receive your PM and I spoke with L.J. on this.
Unfortunately, for me, this action did not help in the least. Both the dealer and L.J. told me that FORD thinks this to be an absolutely normal characteristic of this engine. I was told that the noise will not affect the performance or longevity of the engine. All the while, I have to drive this vehicle in utter embarrassment. I am now proactively telling my story as to how FORD is treating its customers whenever I pull in for gas, park the vehicle amongst other vehicles, and show up for the local cars 'n coffee vehicle meets.
If FORD is saying that this is normal, then they know what is causing it. Why won't FORD fix this? Too expensive? Not widespread enough?
Please escalate that too.
Like I said previously, thanks for your help. But it does me absolutely no good. The company your work for is leaving us out to dry.
Hi Mbvlink,

I understand where you are coming from with your new vehicle. I did look over your case and even though it may not be monetary compensation, I did see that we gave you a free Powertrain Extended Warranty. This at the least will cover any future issues. You can always get a second opinion from a different Ford dealership if you’d like. If you need any further assistance in the future, please let me know.

Deysha

Get a lawyer!

Hi Mbvlink,

I understand where you are coming from with your new vehicle. I did look over your case and even though it may not be monetary compensation, I did see that we gave you a free Powertrain Extended Warranty. This at the least will cover any future issues. You can always get a second opinion from a different Ford dealership if you’d like. If you need any further assistance in the future, please let me know.

Deysha

I'm sure he appreciates this extended power-train warranty, now he get's to live with the "normal characteristics" for a little longer. Also, If this is a normal characteristic that does not shorten the durability/longevity of the motor, then why add an extended power-train warranty? FOMOCO is blowing smoke up your arse Mbvlink, get a lawyer quickly, there are laws to protect you! I'm surprised Deysha didn't tell you that instead of wasting more of your time. Dyesha, my guess is Mbvlink does not want monetary compensation, If he is like most others, he just wants his car to run right. I don't understand why Ford is fighting this so much, If there are problems with the first year cars, fix them, if they can't be fixed, buy them back.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.