Ford Mustang Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
DOHC engines tend to be a bit noisy. The 22RE in my Toyota pickup is extremely noisy, as was the H23 in my old Honda Prelude.

My Mustang makes some tapping noise, doesn't bother me, it's not a Lexus.
that's rubbish...my 96 cobra doesn't make any weird noises and it has 200K miles on it...I won't even tell you how quiet my Infiniti dohc is...it would make the domestics cry and quit their jobs it's so smooth and quiet.

that's rubbish...my 96 cobra doesn't make any weird noises and it has 200K miles on it...I won't even tell you how quiet my Infiniti dohc is...it would make the domestics cry and quit their jobs it's so smooth and quiet.
?? He said tend to be a bit noisy, not every one designed and made. Go listen to a Honda Prelude (H series motor) They tick and whine and is completely normal for that engine.

Hi Mbvlink,

I understand where you are coming from with your new vehicle. I did look over your case and even though it may not be monetary compensation, I did see that we gave you a free Powertrain Extended Warranty. This at the least will cover any future issues. You can always get a second opinion from a different Ford dealership if you’d like. If you need any further assistance in the future, please let me know.

Deysha
Deysha,

You posted the same response in this thread that you did in the other "tick" response. So I'll do the same:

"Deysha, you're right. I did receive an extended warranty from my conversation with LJ. I had to ask for it and frame it in the sense of, " if FORD is saying that this is not an issue and is normal, than FORD should back it up by providing extended coverage". Not those exact words, but the same idea. Now I have a warranty with coverage on par with other makes of vehicles.

What would taking my vehicle to another dealer accomplish? Aren't they going to call the same hotline as before and told to tell me that all is normal? That nothing can be done? Thanks for your money, now go away?

And when you say, "I understand where you are coming from with your new vehicle" I have to respectfully ask you this. Do you also have a vehicle that begins to make noise after oil changes, that you take back to the dealer and 3 techs are under the hood looking for the source, that the parent company says to the consumer the noise is normal, that they will not do anything at all to fix, that is an embarassment to drive?

I've heard from a few sources that the V6 variant also had a tick. That a fix was implemented for that engine. Any truth to that? Can it applied to the 5.0? If so, when?"

Thought I would go look after reading your post... Mine makes some weird tick noise too.. I noticed it today..

When I turn the A/C off it pretty much goes away.. Maybe a little faint.. Turn A/C back on.. Tick noise is back on...

These cams or chain driven and not belt driven correct? Maybe chain noise or a tensionor?? Anyone gotta link to a engine breakdown?

Deysha,

You posted the same response in this thread that you did in the other "tick" response. So I'll do the same:

"Deysha, you're right. I did receive an extended warranty from my conversation with LJ. I had to ask for it and frame it in the sense of, " if FORD is saying that this is not an issue and is normal, than FORD should back it up by providing extended coverage". Not those exact words, but the same idea. Now I have a warranty with coverage on par with other makes of vehicles.

What would taking my vehicle to another dealer accomplish? Aren't they going to call the same hotline as before and told to tell me that all is normal? That nothing can be done? Thanks for your money, now go away?

And when you say, "I understand where you are coming from with your new vehicle" I have to respectfully ask you this. Do you also have a vehicle that begins to make noise after oil changes, that you take back to the dealer and 3 techs are under the hood looking for the source, that the parent company says to the consumer the noise is normal, that they will not do anything at all to fix, that is an embarassment to drive?

I've heard from a few sources that the V6 variant also had a tick. That a fix was implemented for that engine. Any truth to that? Can it applied to the 5.0? If so, when?"
Mbvlink, I have to reply to your questions on each thread because if anyone looks at one thread and not the other they may think I was ignoring you.With that said, by taking your vehicle in to another dealership, you will have a fresh set of ears/eyes to listen/look at your vehicle. I’ve seen this happen through my years here, one dealer may not find an issue and the next dealer does and fixes the issue. And when I said “I understand” is because I do. No one buys a brand new vehicle and wants to have 20 issues with it. We all expect them to be at least 95% perfect and when it’s not we get frustrated and disappointed. I am here to help you guys where I can, that’s all.

Deysha

I'm sure he appreciates this extended power-train warranty, now he get's to live with the "normal characteristics" for a little longer. Also, If this is a normal characteristic that does not shorten the durability/longevity of the motor, then why add an extended power-train warranty? FOMOCO is blowing smoke up your arse Mbvlink, get a lawyer quickly, there are laws to protect you! I'm surprised Deysha didn't tell you that instead of wasting more of your time. Dyesha, my guess is Mbvlink does not want monetary compensation, If he is like most others, he just wants his car to run right. I don't understand why Ford is fighting this so much, If there are problems with the first year cars, fix them, if they can't be fixed, buy them back.
I thank you for your support and opinion adspru. As I’ve stated before, I’m not a technician or an engineer or part of the warranty department. I’m here to try to help where I can. I appreciate your input.

Deysha

Thought I would go look after reading your post... Mine makes some weird tick noise too.. I noticed it today..

When I turn the A/C off it pretty much goes away.. Maybe a little faint.. Turn A/C back on.. Tick noise is back on...

These cams or chain driven and not belt driven correct? Maybe chain noise or a tensionor?? Anyone gotta link to a engine breakdown?
Hey Sleeper5.0,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I tried to reach out to you on a different thread. I recommend you contact your dealer and make an appointment with them for diagnosis. Then, please message me with your VIN, contact info, and dealer so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha

Hey Sleeper5.0,

My name is Deysha from Ford Customer Service. I tried to reach out to you on a different thread. I recommend you contact your dealer and make an appointment with them for diagnosis. Then, please message me with your VIN, contact info, and dealer so I can escalate this for you.

Deysha
You been to my POST... I am just wondering what the answer is.. Going to go play dumb at the service dept Monday.. I don't wanta hear it is characteristic.. If it is.. I want one of the engines that are not characteristic to making noise that they are putting in the other 5.0s...

Visit to 2nd dealer

So I took my vehicle to another dealer per Deysha's suggestion. The Service Adviser seemed very surprised at the noise it was making. Dropped it off at 7:30am Monday morning and I get a call about 4:30 that same evening telling me that they've found the source of the noise and are awaiting a part. He said it was the belt tensioner(s). I was given a brand new F-150 rental while they kept my vehicle overnight. Coincidentally, the 150 also has a 5.0 engine.

I get a call yesterday around noon telling me that my car is all ready, noise gone. I was out of town so I was not able to swing by the dealer until today. Before I signed the paperwork to take delivery of my car, I ask to be given the keys to start it up and make sure the noise is gone. I start it up and........ no noise! Could this be the fix to this noise, could Deysha have been right? Well.....I let it idle about 5 minutes in the 102 degree Dallas heat. And then guess what?....... The noise is back in all its normalness, in all its glory, in all its "normal characteristics" that was not there when first bought, that didn't appear until the 1st oil change, that only got louder on the second oil change.

So I bring the vehicle back into the service bay and tell them that they hadn't fixed a thing. To top it off, now the front bumper has scratches, a crease, and paint missing. Almost looks like the nose went under a bumper of another vehicle. The service guy who worked on the vehicle was saying that when the fan belt is removed, the noise goes away. Hence, the thought that the tensioner was not working as it should. So I'm back in the 150. A thought, should I drain the oil on the 150 and see what happens to that 5.0 engine? Hmmmm.

This makes day 6 that the vehicle is in the shop for this "normal characteristic". My guess is that this dealer has not called the "tell the customer he's stuck with this noise" FORD hotline.

Deysha, do you want the name to this dealer as well? Can you pull it up by the VIN info previously sent?

I almost can't wait for them to tell me its normal.....

So I took my vehicle to another dealer per Deysha's suggestion. The Service Adviser seemed very surprised at the noise it was making. Dropped it off at 7:30am Monday morning and I get a call about 4:30 that same evening telling me that they've found the source of the noise and are awaiting a part. He said it was the belt tensioner(s). I was given a brand new F-150 rental while they kept my vehicle overnight. Coincidentally, the 150 also has a 5.0 engine.

I get a call yesterday around noon telling me that my car is all ready, noise gone. I was out of town so I was not able to swing by the dealer until today. Before I signed the paperwork to take delivery of my car, I ask to be given the keys to start it up and make sure the noise is gone. I start it up and........ no noise! Could this be the fix to this noise, could Deysha have been right? Well.....I let it idle about 5 minutes in the 102 degree Dallas heat. And then guess what?....... The noise is back in all its normalness, in all its glory, in all its "normal characteristics" that was not there when first bought, that didn't appear until the 1st oil change, that only got louder on the second oil change.

So I bring the vehicle back into the service bay and tell them that they hadn't fixed a thing. To top it off, now the front bumper has scratches, a crease, and paint missing. Almost looks like the nose went under a bumper of another vehicle. The service guy who worked on the vehicle was saying that when the fan belt is removed, the noise goes away. Hence, the thought that the tensioner was not working as it should. So I'm back in the 150. A thought, should I drain the oil on the 150 and see what happens to that 5.0 engine? Hmmmm.

This makes day 6 that the vehicle is in the shop for this "normal characteristic". My guess is that this dealer has not called the "tell the customer he's stuck with this noise" FORD hotline.

Deysha, do you want the name to this dealer as well? Can you pull it up by the VIN info previously sent?

I almost can't wait for them to tell me its normal.....
Hey Mbvlink,

Thank you for working with this 2nd dealer. Please message me with their name and your current mileage and I'll go ahead and reopen your case.

Deysha

Hey Mbvlink,

Thank you for working with this 2nd dealer. Please message me with their name and your current mileage and I'll go ahead and reopen your case.

Deysha
So I picked my vehicle up yesterday from its second visit to a dealer for this ticking noise. They changed out the tensioner pulley, and swapped out another pulley as well. The noise is still there. Once again, I'm told that Ford considers it normal. Again I stressed that if it was normal, all 5.0's on the lot would make this noise. Not after the first oil change.

If Ford is telling me that they consider this a normal characteristic of this engine, and that it will not cause harm or problems with the longevity of the engine, then they know what is causing it and are consciously avoiding affixing repairs to the affected vehicles. Ford is refusing to stand behind its product.

First and last Ford.

First and last Ford.

You must get upset easily and let it affect your decision making if you feel this way over the tick. I will keep beating on my ticking engine, stay happy and still get another Ford.

You're right, and I don't expect them to be.
But I do expect them to fix whatever is wrong and return my vehicle to how it was when it rolled off the lot. That must be too much to ask.

First and last Ford.
Believe it or not, despite advances in computer controlled manufacturing, tolerances vary.

I'm fine with my ticking engine, OHC engines can be a bit on the loud side.

First of many Fords.

Man I sure hope you get things taken care of so you can enjoy this great car.Trust me Ford makes a good product and I've owned some type of Ford/Lincoln Mercury vehicle for the past 30 years.

I know this may not be the case with your 5.0 but when I first got my car 7/4/2010 it made all kinds of noises.It ticked,knocked,squeaked etc.

but I was driving around listening for noises:yelwacko: my car ran great and after a while I chalked all the noises up as normal and just drove it hard and enjoyed it.

I realize some of these issues are well documented and yours sounds like it falls in this catagory so again I wish you the best and hope you give the Blue Oval another shot:bigthumbsup

Believe it or not, despite advances in computer controlled manufacturing, tolerances vary.

I'm fine with my ticking engine, OHC engines can be a bit on the loud side.

First of many Fords.
If you're fine with it then I only wish you many miles of worry-free, tick-filled good times.

Maybe I should just turn up the radio and never roll my window down.

First and last Ford

Man I sure hope you get things taken care of so you can enjoy this great car.Trust me Ford makes a good product and I've owned some type of Ford/Lincoln Mercury vehicle for the past 30 years.

I know this may not be the case with your 5.0 but when I first got my car 7/4/2010 it made all kinds of noises.It ticked,knocked,squeaked etc.

but I was driving around listening for noises:yelwacko: my car ran great and after a while I chalked all the noises up as normal and just drove it hard and enjoyed it.

I realize some of these issues are well documented and yours sounds like it falls in this catagory so again I wish you the best and hope you give the Blue Oval another shot:bigthumbsup
I considered this a great car until the first oil change. Actually, when Ford told me that this noise is normal and they would take no more action on it is when I became very disappointed.

Service managers at two different service shops said the noise was not normal but they couldn't do anything because the higher-ups told them not to attempt any repairs "at this time".

If this was normal, why did my vehicle begin to make this noise at the first oil change? If its normal, than all new 5.0's on the lot would make the same sound. They don't.

Some people choose to live with the noise, some don't.

Why would I give Ford another shot based on how they are handling this issue? They acknowledge the issue, say that it won't cause harm to the performance or longevity of the engine, but won't tell me what it is. All they say is that no repair attempts will be made and send me on my way. Should I completely forget this experience when contemplating my next vehicle purchase? Should I convey a positive note about Ford when discussing my vehicle with friends or family or random people on the dealer lots that I engage on the 'Mustang row' concerning this issue?

I appreciate you relaying your FoMoCo experience with me but, this first experience with them is highly disappointing.

First and last Ford

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.