Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide what kind of cam to put in my '89 GT. I have AFR 165, GT-40 intake, 70mm throttle body Headers and H-Pipe. WHich of the two cams should I go for that will give me that lopey-choppy sound and noticed performanced. E-303 or Trick Flow Stage 1 or any other cam that is recommended. Need Help, thanks.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I really like my trickflow stage 1 cam. It sounds really choppy but not in a bad way at all. The power was greatly improved over my stock cam.

I havent tried an E303 but some people dont like the effect it has on your idle?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Do you have stock pistons? Is this combo up and running or are you doing all at the same time? I'd wouldn't go for the E-cam, you can do much better.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, my bottom end is stock. its not up and running, but the combo is being piece together. What cam do you recommend that would sound real good and will not give me any piston-to-valve cleareance issues.

·
Registered
736 Posts
The E303 was designed about 20 years ago. Technology has come a long way since then. The Trick Flow cams were really designed to complement their heads. I would suggest you atleast talk to Ed Curtis. He grinds a cam that is made specifically for your combo and what you want the car to do. I'll try to find some info on how to contact him.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link to Mr. Ed website. I am on a budget especially from the purchase of the AFR's, custom grinds are kind of expensive for me. Is there any others that you can recommend?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Get the Trickflow 1!! I have ported Iron GT 40's Non-P... and a gt40 intake . The trickflow cam sounds and feels great! It's split duration does more for your setup that the E303. It'll work with a stock bottom end for sure. Just be sure to throw some 1.6's up top. None that anyone cares but, I used Cranes stud conversion kit for the GT40 heads since they were pedastal mount! :winks

·
Registered
19 Posts
i got GT40s, Explorer intake and TFS stg1 cam...it's a huge improvement over stock i love the way it feels at idle being lopey and all it feels great over 2.5/3k rpm busts nutz until 6k

·
Registered
136 Posts
Suggestions for a cam for a AOD car anyone while the thread is a little fresh? Im thinking of going with a gt40 or similar head at least, then eventually a supercharger next year. Now gathering parts for the winter project :winks

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have an e303 with some ported gt40's and it feels great..lots of power and sounds great....with the 1.7 rollers it lopes almost like an f cam.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a TRick Flow Stage 1 and I absolutley love it. It is the perfect amount of lope. Not too crazy and not too mild. Although I have not had any experience with the e-303, I have heard too many negative things about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
i personaly dont like ford cams because they have same duration and lift intake exhaust i would go whith stage 1 with my eyes closed or comp cams XE274HR #35-518-8 these cam makes torque and power i have this one in my car and i love it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
dolomite205 said:
If I chose the XE274HR camshaft, will I have any Piston-to-Valve cleareance problems? My bottom end is stock.
dont know it depend on what valve size you have, then go with stage 1 it has less lift!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Trick Flow stage 1

I have an 89' notchback with the trickflo stage 1, it sounds great and has lots of power...........I'm no expert, but its reallyl nice.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I have personally run both and can't tell a difference in performance. I do agree that the TF stage 1 cam has a slightly larger lope.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have stage 3 tfs cam.But the cam will very in sound depending on head,comp., things like that.but on youtube under 95 5.0 v-1 w/stage 3tfs there is a clip of my car running its a silver 95 with blk rally stripes. Heads(ported by fox lake),intake ported fox lake, I love the cam works great.I had no piston top valve clearence problems but the tw heads give lots of room for a big cam without clearence problems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.