Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i heard some 1 say cuz we was watching a video of a z06 smokin a cobra an they was like yea chevy's way better than ford an all this ****..but i heard somwhere some 1 said that the ford gts was matched for the corvettes not mustangs an corvettes they was for camaros an firebirds...is that true i meen it does make sense but y is there not half as many gt's as there is corvettes?

·
Banned
269 Posts
Well the Ford GT (Supercar, if thats what your talking about) came out for lemans. Ford was supposed to buy Ferrari back in the sixties but then Ferrari wanted to keep their race line and Ford sayd forget it then. And out of spite Ford made the GT40. And that was only to prove that Ford could win the Le Mans. It did not come out to beat the corvette... which is out of the Mustang league and the Ford GT was out of the corvettes league as well.

I think you mean that firebirds and Camaros came out to match the pony car platform which was the Mustang. The corvette really never had a competitor. Even some of the new mustangs are giving the corvette a run for its money for a hell of alot cheaper.

And as far chevy being better then Ford... i have a feeling this chat room can put together few good reasons why they are not :gringreen

also, not only did the ford gt40 derive from Ferrari being an A hole but lamborghini did as well

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
You can't really compare a GT to a Mustang. Just by cost alone it's clearly a differant breed.

Same thing with a Corvette. What does a new Z06 cost these days? Somewhere around $80K I think. What do you get for all that money? 427 cubic inches, 6 speed transaxle, IRS, huge brakes, active suspension, HUD, etc. Allow me to put $80K into a new Mustang and I'll blow away the 'vette.

IMO, the Z06 is the best bang for the buck in street legal performance. It will easily outperform anything in the same price range, and most cars at twice the price.

·
Registered
398 Posts
the corvette has become a mean machine and with the ZR1 coming soon its gonna be a blast, the viper, ferrari f430 and some other supercars cannot take this car down. Car and Driver tested it from 0 to 60 in 3.7s the Gt does it in 3.3 both of them are in the 11s at the 1/4, but the vette is 50grand cheaper than the Gt, but for being a $80K car its a beast. Ive seen it perform at a drag strip and its a whole nother level.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You can't really compare a GT to a Mustang. Just by cost alone it's clearly a differant breed.

Same thing with a Corvette. What does a new Z06 cost these days? Somewhere around $80K I think. What do you get for all that money? 427 cubic inches, 6 speed transaxle, IRS, huge brakes, active suspension, HUD, etc. Allow me to put $80K into a new Mustang and I'll blow away the 'vette.

IMO, the Z06 is the best bang for the buck in street legal performance. It will easily outperform anything in the same price range, and most cars at twice the price.
Ford began work on the gt (which looks like the GT-40 but shares nothing) back when Dodge put out the viper GTS and Calloway and Lingenfelter were getting their hands on Corvettes. People said Ford couldn't keep up with the times. Ford's approach has always been to build cars the average person could afford. They said of course we have the Technology to build a super car, but people couldn't afford to buy it. Eventually Ford felt it was time to make a statement. The GT far surpasses any Vette and is on par with anything coming out of Italy. And Ford was right, nobody is buying them. Isn't it like $140,000 or something like that.

·
Banned
269 Posts
Well like adriano said, the new ZR1 and even the Z06 will give the Ford GT a run for its money. Im sorry to say... but GM really has a beast on their hands. The ZR1 is going to be a little over 100k in upgraded form and will compete with cars that have 3 or 4 times the price tag.

Then again, you cant forget about the Super Snake coming out. It may not be perfectly balanced and weighted like the vette. But as far as quarter mile and the COOLNESS element... I dont think you can beat it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You know i LOVE that you brought this up bc i see corvette owners talking soo much **** on mustangs when really, how are you going to compare a 4.6 or 5.0 or 5.3 to a 7.0 motor stock 500hp. i mean still you have the Shelbly GT 500 KR smashing all over vetts but i think the the Ford GT was put to race the Vette and the comeros for mustangs ect, even tho we all know we can all smash on a vette too, I mean. I have.

i rest my case

Oh P.S this ZR1 you guys are talking about, is that the new Vette coming out? i thought they were calling it the Z07 and did you know they were goign to stop the production of the vette but ferrari stepped in and designed the new vette which is a charged 7 liter that will run a stock 1/4 mile time of 10.7

as i heard

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
That's usually how it goes... a 4.6/5.0/5.4 versus a 500+ hp 7.0 liter 427. Plus the thing is made of plastic, fiberglass and carbon fiber. And the rear section is actually GLUED to the frame, it isn't even bolted. They ever made a fair comparison, then things would probably be different.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Chevy starts with a C bc they are cheaters.
and even that the GT is only a charged 5.4 psht

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Ford GT40 Race History

The Corvette of the GT40 era was not even in the same league! Not even close!

The GT was manufactured as an advertising medium by the few real car enthusiasts that are becoming all to rare at Ford.

Today the Corvette is one of the world's premier cars...the GT is an angel flying too close to the ground.:shiny:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I guess it's about time that corvette has finally come up with a car fast enough to beat mustangs. I know they never made any fast enough in the past up until the body change in 98. I have known many people myself included that have been able to walk all over the past vettes that costed the chevy guys $20,000-$40,000, when we were able to get the car, some gears ,exhaust and still spend under $10,000 and still be faster. I even remember a guy around here where I live who spent about 5,000 on his 94 corvette motor with a 6 speed and it still wasn't as fast as a good old 93 gt with gears, headers, offroad and pulleys. AHHHH!!! THE GOOD OLD DAYS !!!!!:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts