Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ve had my 05 GT at the dealer for over a week. they've replaced numerous parts and worked with ford engineering to solve the problem of gas pumps clicking off prematurely. The problem is real and ford has known about it for awhile, but they have no fix.

Finally, The dealer sent me home with my car saying ford might have a new gas tank to fix the problem in a couple months. Meanwhile, they've asked me to try all sorts of experiments (some of which have been mentioned on this board) and report back.

If you're buying, you might want to ask the dealer to hold the check until you've filled up a couple times.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have had my GT for about a week now and this morning I went to an Exxon station and filled it up. I was ready for it to stop like I have heard but I did not have the problem. I put in around 12 gallans and it did not stop prematurely. Maybe a fluke for the first time but I hope not.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have not had the problem (yet, knock on wood). I've filled up at Mobil, Shell, and 76 without incident so far. Just about 2000 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have the filling problem at a few stations. No particular stations, nearly all have done it at some point. Some new style pumps seem to pump faster than the older ones. IMO. I think it is a problem with flow rate, not so much the tank on the car. However, ford should have designed the filler to work with all existing fuel pump systems.

·
Registered
597 Posts
The strangest thing about this fill up problem is that the 05 Mustang was based on the LS/T-Bird platform. As far as I know there has never been a fill up problem with those cars. All three cars shared a dual chamber fuel tank; one side has a transfer pump and the other has the high pressure pump. Also I wondering what the fill nozzles look like. I believe in Cali. they have a nozzle which captures the fumes produced during fill up. So far at my shop we haven't seen any come in with this concern.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's actually quite a problem rather than a concern. the pump handle clicks off almost immediately after you pull the handle up. it would take hundreds of these attempts to dribble fuel into the car. i am thinking of switching to a gas can funnel.

seems that ford would have tested this car in the california desert -- death valley -- and encountered it there fueling up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've read quite a few posts about this issue and i just have to throw my 2¢ into the mix. I used to have a 99 Dodge Dakota R/T and at about 1/3 of all gas stations I went to I had the same problem, seemed more prevalent at pumps with the "vapor recovery" system installed. It didn't take me long to figure out what to do about it. I would either keep the pump handle just shy of wide open or turn the pump handle towards the rear of the vehicle. One or the other would always work and the automatic stutoff would still work as it should. I do agree that higher pressure pumps also seemed to make it worse, it makes sense though. The shutoff feature relies on the sensing of excess vapors as the tank nears full, so higher pressure would be making the pump sense vapors prematurely. Probably a common link between the Dakota and the 05 Mustang as both fuel neck designs would seem to aggravate that (long and winding path to the gas tank).

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is definitely a pump handle and Mustang filler tube design incompatibility issue and not something you see at every fill-up. In Texas we have a lot of "Race-Trac" stations and their gas is typically less expensive and good. No problem at their pumps. But, I've consistently had premature shut-off at almost all other stations. Bizarre.

·
Registered
325 Posts
After doing some more research I decided not to drop my vehicle off at the dealership just yet only to have them scratch their heads while I'm out my Mustang for a week. I think the vapor cap on the fuel nozzle is the problem. I have found that stations that do not have this seem to work better. Unfortunately, they are not many in San Diego around my area. I'm going to search for more of these gas stations and see if they work fine or not. Need to fill up tomorrow and I have an appointment as well with Mossy Ford and will discuss this issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Lawnmowerman

I have just filled my 05 GT up for the 2nd time . Didnt have the problem on the first fill-up but it did exist on the 2nd. It is a flow problem as far as I can tell and some stations use a higher flow rate then others . I will not say this is a Ford problem, cause I look at it this way ,if you want to drive this beautiful car, then you will put gas in it.:scream:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't have my gt yet, but just an idea. My ranger does this sometime at different pumps. Seems to be the vapor lock like some say. I just turn the nozzle upside down so the nozzle points up into the filler. Never pops when i do that. Try that.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Confirmed,no fix for fuel pumping problem

I got back from the dealer and sure enough this is a major flaw with the fuel design and Ford is supposedly looking into this for fixes. The dealership advised me to turn the nozzle 90 degrees to the left with end of hose facing towards back. I went to a Shell gas station with the vapor nozzle and it worked fine. I tried different positions and the normal position just kept clicking off. Oh well, I guess I can live with it, but I'll be line when Ford offers a fix.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I work at a dealer and today was able to ask our field service rep about the gas tank and CD player skipping problems. He said the problem with the fuel tank is that instead of using the same tank design as the LS/T-Bird Ford only used one fuel pump. Instead of using a transfer pump they simply used a 3/8ths diameter hose to transfer gas from one fuel tank half to the other. This smalll hose offers to much restriction during fill up with a high flow nozzle. The problem with the CD player skipping is because DELPHI making the unit, its not a problem with Ford, but the supplier.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts