Ford Mustang Forum banner

Ford is unable to update calibration per TSB..

4K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  nuclearjunky 
#1 ·
I took my car in to have the TSB for idle dips and extended cranks. I returned the car back to the stock calibration, but they are saying they can only pull and clear codes, but cannot update the calibration. Ford is saying I need a new PCM, has anyone with a SCT3 Bama tune been unable to have Ford update their PCM after returning it to stock? Any help would be appreciated. Planning on going over to the shop during lunch to take a look at things.

#3 ·
I am not tuned, but I can say it took my dealer a while to get this tsb done because they for some reason had a hard time 'updating' their system.... maybe they are having troubles and trying to hide it?

#4 ·
I am not tuned either but in the process of figuring out my vibration issue, the tech updated 3 modules in my car and i used to have the hard crank/idle issue but havent since the update. I would try another dealership..

#6 ·
I called BAMA to see if they may have heard of this before, and they were unaware of anything on their end that would cause this, they advised that nothing with the tuner would cause this as long as it was returned to stock, which it was. My guess is that reprogramming the "copperhead" may require more computer power than this dealerships computer had available. Frustrated because this was told to me on day 10 of them having the car. I also advised them not to drive the car(because of stock tune), but the adviser stated to me"I drove it around for 15-20 minutes trying to duplicate the problem, but couldn't", and also stated "we punched in your VIN # and there aren't any TSB's out there for it". My car is a 5/10 build date manual transmission car, there are more TSB's for my car than there were warts on John Holmes's pecker.

#7 ·
I called BAMA to see if they may have heard of this before, and they were unaware of anything on their end that would cause this, they advised that nothing with the tuner would cause this as long as it was returned to stock, which it was. My guess is that reprogramming the "copperhead" may require more computer power than this dealerships computer had available. Frustrated because this was told to me on day 10 of them having the car. I also advised them not to drive the car(because of stock tune), but the adviser stated to me"I drove it around for 15-20 minutes trying to duplicate the problem, but couldn't", and also stated "we punched in your VIN # and there aren't any TSB's out there for it". My car is a 5/10 build date manual transmission car, there are more TSB's for my car than there were warts on John Holmes's pecker.
April 6, 2010 - that's my build date.
My original dealer told me the same thing.. "No TSB's for your vehicle". I went elsewhere and they did the work and more.

#8 ·
Find a new dealer. These guys sound like they know nothing!
They HAVE to be able to update the calibration, they are a Ford dealer!

I would run from that shop and go see someone who knows that what they're doing!

#9 ·
I would run, but I work for the same company that own this dealership. I just got done talking to the technician that worked on it and he said that it would act like it was loading, but when it was getting ready to finish it would say "unable to communicate". Will be taking the car back on Wednesday to have a different Tech with a new IDS system try, why this was not done before I drove out there and picked my car up I don't know. As the saying goes "you're only as good as your tools". Update to follow.

#10 ·
Programming

well i'll let you all know how my reprogramming goes tommorow,after reading some of your post you have to wonder if what they do in some dealerships is scarry. i am on my second dealership now after taking my car in the original place i bought it and telling my starter runs on they looked at me like a deer looking into the headlights of oncoming traffic. i am armed with acopy of the tsb and my car was built in may 2010 i picked it up in june of 2010. wish me luck :nono:

#18 ·
tsb

well i'll let you all know how my reprogramming goes tommorow,after reading some of your post you have to wonder if what they do in some dealerships is scarry. i am on my second dealership now after taking my car in the original place i bought it and telling my starter runs on they looked at me like a deer looking into the headlights of oncoming traffic. i am armed with acopy of the tsb and my car was built in may 2010 i picked it up in june of 2010. wish me luck :nono:
well just got back from autoway ford in bradenton,fl they did the flash and the car feels like it picked up 50 horses will let you all know if it starts better :bounce2:

#11 ·
I had the same problem the first dealer was fighting me tooth and nail about doing the TBS . The sec. dealer was just great took care of me no trouble and on my car the new flash help out big time the car runs better and starts better i'am every happy with how it turn out. Its
just what you got to go through to get a dealer to do there dam job.

#12 ·
I think you run a risk of having your warranty voided by taking your car to the dealer with any mods still on the car.

It's a crap shoot and I would not risk it.I know about the magnuson act but in reality you are at a big dissadvantage.

I would get that tune back on before driving your car much longer.
I really hope you get things sorted and dont have anymore problems.

#13 ·
I am going in for it tommorow
Put my stock tune back in yesterday, drove it around all day, feels so slow without the tune

For those who did the update did it chage the ECU code???

#15 ·
I was afraid of that, looks like will have to get my tuner reflashed

#17 ·
Well i never flash a car before but after you get your car back from the dealer you can plug the SCT turner back in and it can read your new code for you.Then you can call up the people that you got your tune from tell them your new code and they can make you a new tune .Now i not done it before so i call and ask your tuner on just how to do this before you try it .

#23 ·
how come i don't see anything else about this TSB anywhere else on the internet? btw my car does have the extended crank problem once every couple of months.

#24 · (Edited)
I had this TSB done yesterday. My car definately pulls harder below 4000. I drive aggressively pretty much all the time so I know how it felt before the reflash. I'm guessing it changed something in the fuel trim/throttle response code. The lagging throttle response is gone and I can blip the throttle much faster for downshifts now. It sounds different too. I've got Flowmasters and the gurgle on deceleration sounds incredible. Also the mpg display reacts almost in real time . You get on it and it'll drop to the 16-17 range pretty quick. Back off the throttle and drive normal it shoots back up to 21-22. I had an intermittent miss at idle and sometimes in different rpm ranges. It seems to have fixed this also. I just plain feels like a different car now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.