Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because existing sources of auto reliability information left much to be desired, in late 2005 I started conducting my own reliability research at TrueDelta.com. TrueDelta reports absolute stats like "trips to the shop" that make the differences between cars much clearer. Results are updated four times a year, so any significant changes in a model's reliability become apparent quickly.

So far I've been able to report repair rates--and low ones at that--for the 2006 and 2007. But more participants are needed, both for these years and for the 2005 and 2008, where I haven't yet had enough responses to post a result. So I've very grateful that the admin here has given me permission to post this thread, to help get the word out.

Participants simply report repairs the month after they occur on a one-page survey. When there are no repairs, they simply report an approximate odometer reading four times a year, at the end of each quarter.

To encourage participation, panel members receive full access to the results for free.

For the details, and to sign up to help out:

Vehicle reliability research

·
Registered
12,666 Posts
so this is a site that catalogs data on how often we take our stangs to the shop for repairs? i hate to say it, but the results might be off from the true facts because lets face it, a lot of mustangers work on their owns cars and don't take them to the shop.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would think it would be fairly accurate through the first three years, just because if something goes bad the car would be under warranty and the dealer would have to fix it for free.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DIY repairs can (and should) be reported using the regular survey. There's a question on the survey that asks who performed the dealer:

1. Dealer
2. Other repair shop
3. Self or other non-mechanic

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Latest results just posted:

TrueDelta Vehicle Reliability Survey results

Repair rates continue to be very low for the 2006 and 2007. A bit higher for the 2005, but the sample size in this case is too small, so the result is asterisked.

Additional participants for all years would be helpful, but especially the 2005 and 2008.

To help us provide the best possible info on your year:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Wow. My car alone should blow their 2008 info straight to hell, since I've had:

1 re-balanced, rotated drive shaft
1 new drive shaft
1 new rear axle
1 new transmission
2 new rear end assemblies
1 new tire
1 brake pad resurfacing (removed mystery glazing)

... and I will soon be making another trip for the still-squeaking brake. Fun times! :censored:

~HA

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your experience appears to be highly unusual.

No one vehicle can change the results too much, especially since past repairs generally can't be reported on the main survey. Also, we count the number of repair trips, and you might have had many of these taken care of in the same trip.

Still looking for more owners to participate, especially for the 2005 and 2008.

For the full set of results, and sign up to help (if you haven't already):

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
234 Mustang owners signed up to participate so far. A very good start, but more are needed.

We'll have results for the 2005, 2006, and 2007 in mid-November, but with more participants we could provide more detailed and more precise results.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to the help of this forum and its members, the latest results include the Ford Mustang.

In terms of successful repair trips per 100 vehicles per year:

2005: 62, about average, marginal sample size

2006: 21, much better than average

2007: 6, much better than average--very low

Additional participants would be helpful, especially for the 2005, 2008, and 2009.

For the full set of results, and to sign up to help:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Well, 70k miles and nothing other than the initial tsb issues, Slow gas fill, front end pop, squeaking brake pad..

All fixed at no cost, except the brake pad. That dealership lost my business, thanks to the idiot service manager, Bob Weinstock. I'll never go to Heritage Ford again for service.

But, I've also moved, so no need to go back there anyway.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Wow. My car alone should blow their 2008 info straight to hell, since I've had:

1 re-balanced, rotated drive shaft
1 new drive shaft
1 new rear axle
1 new transmission
2 new rear end assemblies
1 new tire
1 brake pad resurfacing (removed mystery glazing)

... and I will soon be making another trip for the still-squeaking brake. Fun times! :censored:

~HA
wow can you say lemon

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The latest Car Reliability Survey results were recently posted. The reported number of repair trips per 100 cars per year for the Mustang:

2007: 15 -- very low

2006: 38 -- still "better than average"

2005: 60 -- average, maybe a bit better

Insufficient data so far for the 2008, and the sample size for the 2005 was three short of the minimum. So that result is asterisked and only visible to members or the site itself.

A big thanks to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May, August, and November, so additional participants would certainly be helpful. Especially for the 2005, 2008, 2009, and (when it arrives) 2010.

We now have a separate results page for each model. The ones for the Mustang:

Ford Mustang reliability comparisons

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
O.k. you convinced me, just enrolled!

1 - 20 of 64 Posts