Ford Mustang Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 43, about average, very small sample size

2007: 22, better than average

2006: 53, about average

2005: 60, about average, marginal sample size

A big thank you to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Ford Mustang reliability comparisons[/url]

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through March 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 43, about average, very small sample size

2007: 22, better than average

2006: 53, about average

2005: 60, about average, marginal sample size

A big thank you to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in August and November. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

Ford Mustang reliability comparisons[/url]
Hmmm....
Consumer Reports shows almost the same reliability results in their 4/09 Auto issue:
05 - avg.
06 - worse than avg.
07 - better than avg.
08 - avg.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Hmmm....
Consumer Reports shows almost the same reliability results in their 4/09 Auto issue:
05 - avg.
06 - worse than avg.
07 - better than avg.
08 - avg.
I hadn't noticed that, it is interesting.

One thing to realize: CR's "current" results remain based on a survey conducted in April 2008. Our results include another 11 months of information.

I also see that that link didn't post correctly. Here it is:

Ford Mustang reliability comparisons

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through June 2009. In terms of successful repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 53, about average, small sample size

2007: 39, better than average

2006: 52, about average

2005: 60, about average

A big thank you to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in November and February. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years. Especially need more 2009s.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Updated results again later this month.

We're going to start providing new stats for the odds of requiring no repairs and the odds of getting a lemon. These require larger sample sizes, so additional participants would be helpful.

For the details, and to sign up:

Car reliability research

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through September 30, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 33

2007: 44

2006: 50

2005: 55

All are better than average.

A big thank you, once again, to everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in February and May. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I just signed up and will begin the repair history later.

·
Registered
242 Posts
If I ever have an issue I will sign up but so far going on 4 years of ownership and no problems at all.

·
Registered
13,191 Posts
Actually I hate the True Delta site. Once you sign up, the email from them never ends.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Actually I hate the True Delta site. Once you sign up, the email from them never ends.
Can you PM or email me to sort this out?

If you're caught up on the survey--generally a short response four times a year--you'd be getting just a single email for the survey each month.

If you signed up to participate, but haven't actually been participating, then you receive every reminder. Regular participants never see these.

I don't like to send the reminders, but I've found that some people simply don't respond without them. And in some cases we need just one or two more people to respond to get to the minimum sample size. If we don't get there, then I cannot use the responses provided by the people who did take the time to respond.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If I ever have an issue I will sign up but so far going on 4 years of ownership and no problems at all.
If everyone did this, then the Mustang would look terribly unreliable. So the survey process tries to prevent it.

To accurately report what percentage of cars require repairs, it's also necessary to know how many required no repairs.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wonder how the first year S197 or any first year Mustang model for that matter compares to the 1st year run of other performance oriented vehicles. For example I know the first few thousand '10 Camaros had alot of minor problems ranging from trim pieces falling off to painted parts not matching. Ford trucks were catching fire because of a poorly designed cruise control design not long ago. Our airbag recall and noisy differental are just two issues off the top of my head. Just today Toyota is having a hell of a time with uncontrolled acceleration issues with eight seperate models.....I believe a family from Texas was killed because of this. It's not my intention to bash other makes or models because all have their problems ranging from the mildly annoying to downright deadly....just courious how the S197s stand compared to the others.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
You can see this to some extent in our stats:

I say "to some extent" because the stats are based on the previous year, so the average 2005 S197 is now nearly five years old. They might have had more problems back in their first year of ownershiip. They're pretty solid lately, with about the same problem frequency as more recent model years.

The main problem Camaro owners have reported is a tendency for the rear spoiler's attachment bolts to come loose. It's a fairly minor problem once you're aware of it, and know to check them.

·
Registered
242 Posts
My parents just recently bought a 1SS Camaro and my Dad had the checklist of common complaints from the Camaro5 forums and luckily everything so far was right with the car. I am assuming since it wasn't built until early November '09 most of the earlier problems were remedied by then hopefully.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
That's a very active forum. You're essentially seeing all of the problems with hundreds of cars.

These days, it's generally not a question of how many repairs a car needs in its first year, but the odds of needing a single repair, and often a minor one at that.

·
Banned
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
We've updated the results for the Mustang to include owner experiences through December 31, 2009. In terms of repair trips per 100 cars per year:

2008: 37

2007: 38

2006: 46

2005: 37

All are better than average.

A big thank you, once again, to this forum and everyone who has been helping. We'll have further updates in May and August. With more participants, we could provide more precise information and cover all model years.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts