1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Interesting news :yup:

J

·
0 Posts
Interesting. That would be a smart move for them. I'd like to see a lighter, RWD, turbo coupe to slot in under the mustang.

I must admit I'm jealous of my friends with turbo cars. It's so easy to get another 50-100 hp out of a turbo car.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why can't they call it something other then a Mustang? A 2.0L shouldn't share the same name as a true muscle car. The Mustang II shouldn't have been called one and now this...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Why can't they call it something other then a Mustang? A 2.0L shouldn't share the same name as a true muscle car. The Mustang II shouldn't have been called one and now this...
Ahem... 2.3L - Turbo.

This is a step in the right direction. Hopefully it'll be lighter than the V6, get better mileage, and turn quicker. The purists can still buy their V8.

·
Registered
734 Posts
SVO has always been associated with a turbo 4. It makes pretty good sense, actually.

·
Registered
352 Posts
and for those that think that a mustang should only be v8, all that big engines, and beast muscle cars era is over with all these stupid goverment regulations, so please get used to it. :sadcry

·
Registered
115 Posts
Why not call it just the SVO then?

I think the Mustang name should remain with V6s and V8s, even the turbo charged Ecoboost engine would still cut it. Just not a 4 banger in a Mustang.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Taking into consideration the current circumstances regarding federal regulations and current economic times, if this is what it takes to keep the V8 mustang alive for the long run I won't say I'm against it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Taking into consideration the current circumstances regarding federal regulations and current economic times, if this is what it takes to keep the V8 mustang alive for the long run I won't say I'm against it.
+1. As long as something like the Boss is available, I don't care if they also make a version powered by lawnmower engine.

I must admit I'm jealous of my friends with turbo cars. It's so easy to get another 50-100 hp out of a turbo car.
For me it's the opposite, for the same reason. Anybody can increase power with extra compression, so not a fan of turbos at all, and totally detest superchargers.

Much more engineering skill in extracting value from an aspirated. The greatest beauty for me are those 5-valvers that make 120hp/liter.

·
Registered
170 Posts
V6 and 4cyl Mustangs are what have kept the Mustang around ...

2.3L Turbo is exactly what a SVO Mustang should be ... even though I would rather see a 3.5L Ecoboost myself. If it ends up being a 350hp 2.3L though, I won't complain...but the more I think about it, it'll more likely be a 280ish hp 2.3L that'll barely compete with a Focus ST and probably just barely beat the V6 Mustang.

If it follows the past SVO "formula", it should outperform the GT in the twisties while still offering reasonable power and probably pretty decent gas mileage.

again...I still really do like the idea of a 2.3L turbo, but I'm a little biased since I have had a couple Mustang II's powered by them and am currently working on one that'll run away from my '11 5.0 when it's done.

Someone mentioned Mustang II's shouldn't have been called Mustangs too... again... Mustang IIs sold well, were available with a 5.0L V8 (with new smog controls and NET HP rating vs' Gross HP ratings of prior Mustangs) and kept the Mustang around through a period of high gas prices and every manufacturer's cars sucking.

·
Registered
276 Posts
ahahahahhhahha

I will NEVER own a 4 Cylinder in a muscle/sports car. EVER.
says the guy with the brand spankin new V6 as if he's some sort of muscle car purist.

when you look down your nose at guy with turbo cars you might want to remember that you're justifying V8 guys in doing that to you.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I´d rather have 4 cylinder turbo than a V6. At my high altitude city 4 cyl turbos perform on par (or even better) than V8s and of course leave V6s eating dust.

When you don´t need the power for normal DD cruising, gas mileage is great.

New generation turbos are the future. All manufacturers are getting into turbos.

Now that being said, in the particular case of the Mustang, for me the engine MUST be a V8 to be a true Mustang.

Even with a 8 year difference between my 03 GT and my 10 V6, the 03 GT is just a far better car than the 10 V6 and its 4.slow engine...

·
Registered
276 Posts
I´d rather have 4 cylinder turbo than a V6. At my high altitude city 4 cyl turbos perform on par (or even better) than V8s and of course leave V6s eating dust.

When you don´t need the power for normal DD cruising, gas mileage is great.

New generation turbos are the future. All manufacturers are getting into turbos.

Now that being said, in the particular case of the Mustang, for me the engine MUST be a V8 to be a true Mustang.

Even with a 8 year difference between my 03 GT and my 10 V6, the 03 GT is just a far better car than the 10 V6 and its 4.slow engine...

thats ironic because the 4.slow engine is an old platform that predates your V8...

if your GT is stock i'd recommend not going on about V8 superiority with a 2011+ v6 guy around.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Boost is no replacemint for displacemint!!!!!
Only *****'s use power adders to gane power why not just add nos to the svslow and go nascar racing to it will be a nother secretary's car just like the mustang ii was ford must relly wont kill the mustang to put a 4cly in it whith technolighy out ther whith v6 making 305hp 30+mpg and the v8 400+hp 26 mpg

·
Registered
379 Posts
Boost is no replacemint for displacemint!!!!!
Only *****'s use power adders to gane power why not just add nos to the svslow and go nascar racing to it will be a nother secretary's car just like the mustang ii was ford must relly wont kill the mustang to put a 4cly in it whith technolighy out ther whith v6 making 305hp 30+mpg and the v8 400+hp 26 mpg
Ignorance is no replacement for grammar...

·
Registered
775 Posts
if this happens and i think its a big if with all the specialty mustangs on the market already it will be interesting to see if it last more then the 2.5 years the first model did. as mentioned it was a great looking car with some supposedly euro components (which means nothing today) but it really wasnt that exciting to drive. not with V8 cameros and GNXs lurking around woodward ave waiting to snack on a 4 banger mustang. the world has changed a lot since 1985 so heres to hoping the marketing guys know what will sail and what will sink.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts