Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was Ford thinking, installing a Microsoft product in our cars? Essentially, SYNC is an error-message generator that at best, distracts the driver and makes the pony quality seem shoddy.

Anyone else have these issues:
- Failure to connect ipod (2nd gen)
- Connects and plays iPod, but 30 mins down the road fails and switches to BlueTooth
- Fails to play BlueTooth audio, error "device not found" 30 mins after playing.
- Fails to reliably connect or play from any number of USB drives, or else if playing, stops randomly and errors out "no device connected"
- Directions come 10-15 seconds after a turn, in city driving.
- "Voice Activation" is a crapshoot. We do for laughs sometimes, to see how wrong it can guess.
- Constantly nags me about my music collection. "..songs not indexed.." WTF does that even mean? I mean, iTunes seems to like the index. If I copy individual .mp3's to a USB drive, the error goes away (but playing the songs is a crap shoot).

I've taken it to the dealer twice, he says "No error codes, so nothing to fix" I bet the error code function is broken too.

At this point, I'm sick of sitting in the dealer's waiting room, only to hear the same excuse. Tired of arguing about intermittent (but frequent) issues.

Any suggestions for a decent head unit?

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I'd try a different dealer, or contact Deysha on here via PM. Don't give up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey man, I drive a 2011 GT and use Sync every day without an issue. I LOVE it. My mom has a 2011 Edge and it seems to be something new "wrong" with it every day. In her case it is a mixture of an outdated phone and user error. I get in the Edge with my Droid and it works flawlessly. You can try a few things. Service may not tell you this but they receive updates for the total Sync system that they can flash to your car. Second you can go to SYNC | Change Songs, Make Phone Calls, Get Directions - All Using Your Voice | Ford.com and call actual Sync customer service as opposed to working with a dealer. I was having problems with my 2010 GT and I uploaded an update from syncmyride.com and updated my system that way. Totally fixed it.

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Just like any other computer or software program, at best maybe 10% of the features will actually work . . . I always try to keep my life simple by only using the basic things that I really need and keep my fingers crossed that those are among the 10% that work . . .

Which is an obscure way of saying that I haven't tried most of those features so I haven't had those problems! ;)

But it does seem like there is something wrong with your unit, the dealer probably should simply replace it . . . my voice activation usually works fine (sometimes it comes up with bizarre stuff, usually when there is a lot of background noise like rain) and the navigation worked fine the few times I used it.

I gave up on the USB drive right away when it said "unable to play licensed content from this device" or some such BS, I just put my MP3's on CD's and they work fine.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
None of the phone voice commands works for me and it won't completely download my phone book but my iPod works no problem. I just need a newer phone, want to get one anyway.

·
Registered
381 Posts
seems like you got a ****** unit. I've only come across a few drives that don't work at times. but that's a given since it doesn't have a lot of compatibility

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
What was Ford thinking, installing a Microsoft product in our cars? Essentially, SYNC is an error-message generator that at best, distracts the driver and makes the pony quality seem shoddy.

- Connects and plays iPod, but 30 mins down the road fails and switches to BlueTooth
- Fails to play BlueTooth audio, error "device not found" 30 mins after playing.
- Fails to reliably connect or play from any number of USB drives, or else if playing, stops randomly and errors out "no device connected"
- "Voice Activation" is a crapshoot. We do for laughs sometimes, to see how wrong it can guess.
- Constantly nags me about my music collection. "..songs not indexed.." WTF does that even mean? I mean, iTunes seems to like the index. If I copy individual .mp3's to a USB drive, the error goes away (but playing the songs is a crap shoot).

I've taken it to the dealer twice, he says "No error codes, so nothing to fix" I bet the error code function is broken too.

At this point, I'm sick of sitting in the dealer's waiting room, only to hear the same excuse. Tired of arguing about intermittent (but frequent) issues.

I agree that SYNC in my 2011 Mustang is not a very good human interface. I use it with my IPOD, but it doesn't recognize all of my playlists. I finally recorded 150 mp3 songs on a CD-R and play it on the CD drive using "shuffle mode."

·
Registered
719 Posts
I gave up on the USB drive right away when it said "unable to play licensed content from this device" or some such BS, I just put my MP3's on CD's and they work fine.
I use it and enjoy it.
I check out the https://secure.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/SupportContent/SupportHome.aspx site once in a while and find out useful information regularly. Lots of good FAQ's and videos to help solve issues too.

To JBertt.... that's the generic message that happens evry time SYNC detects a new usb device, just ignore it, I'm sure you don't use pirated content. I use a 16 GB stick and I have about 3000 tracks on it, it's very cool to be able to call up anything by name!

spindoctor.... I feel your pain, when technology isn't doing what you expect, it's a real P.I.T.A! I had problems initially, but a factory reset and following the advice on "sync my ride" got everything working great. If you aren't using a phone, make the ipod the primary bluetooth device. In my car the phone is my main bluetooth device and I use a thumbdrive for my music. Works great for me!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I would update the unit with the most current version available on www.SyncMyRide.com

I would delete all of your equipment and reinstall it

If it still doesn't work, I would demand a new Sync unit from your Ford dealership.

·
Registered
112 Posts
mine works great and i have an iphone. the only thing i didnt like is that it doesnt sync the phone book but the favorites. but otherwise not a single problem. i leave it all wireless when i play music or anything like that. its a great feature i think. but i did update mine the day i got home from the website. i even liked the built it diagnostic feature that sends me an email about everything with my car. good system to me!! :gringreen:gringreen

·
Banned
163 Posts
I would update the unit with the most current version available on www.SyncMyRide.com

I would delete all of your equipment and reinstall it

If it still doesn't work, I would demand a new Sync unit from your Ford dealership.

^This.

I can't believe the poor experience you're having. I have a Droid X from VZN and it's almost a yr old and still works fine. Make sure you have a voice commands app installed on your phone. Your phone might need a system update as well. Doubt it will solve the problem but you never know!

I used to get an error from my Sync every other now and then. It would say, "Sync Line In". I'd be like, "Wtf is this?" I finally figured out that I would have to push my voice command button on the steering wheel and say, "USB!" and she will connect me back to my iTouch.

I've never used the directions one yet (I don't trust it lol), but it can understand me when I ask it to play a certain artist. I thought that was neat. Yours should do this too!

Anyways, good luck dude. Sounds like your unit is defective or something needs to be updated.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I tried load ing songs from Itunes onto a sony MP3 player and hook it up to Sync, and it didn't work. I then downloaded my songs to Windows Media player, loaded them onto the MP3 player, and hooked them up to Sync and they worked fine.

I have never had an issue with the voice commands, nor hooking up my Andriod operated Smart Phone to the car via bluetooth. Perhaps the problem with the voice commands isn't the system, but the voice of the person using it?

Is your voice really high or low pitched? Do you have an accent? Are you speaking english? How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

·
Registered
7,791 Posts

It's really horrible that you should be stuck with such a car with the crappy SYNC system. What I think you should do is just abandon the car in my driveway and never look back. Just make sure to leave the keys and signed title with it...;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys

Well, with the exception of abandoning my car w/keys and title, the suggestions here have been great! Thanks, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Maybe your unit just doesn't like you? haha jk :grinroll:

·
Registered
65 Posts
New phone is your ticket.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sync, sank sunk.....

I have never had an issue with the voice commands, nor hooking up my Andriod operated Smart Phone to the car via bluetooth. Perhaps the problem with the voice commands isn't the system, but the voice of the person using it?

Is your voice really high or low pitched? Do you have an accent? Are you speaking english? How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
No speekin de engleeeze..

"The average Woodchuck (groundhog, or land-beaver (Marmota monax)) can *chuck one cord, or 128 cubic feet (230 board-feet) of most common hardwoods per week. Less, if Tequila is involved.

* The original Algonquian (possibly Narragansett) name for the animal, "wuchak" has nothing to do with "wood" or "chucking". The phrase "wichak" means "Tasty tree rat".

·
Registered
288 Posts
No speekin de engleeeze..

"The average Woodchuck (groundhog, or land-beaver (Marmota monax)) can *chuck one cord, or 128 cubic feet (230 board-feet) of most common hardwoods per week. Less, if Tequila is involved.

* The original Algonquian (possibly Narragansett) name for the animal, "wuchak" has nothing to do with "wood" or "chucking". The phrase "wichak" means "Tasty tree rat".

:heha: I approve this message! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
18 Posts
It could be the IPod and not the MSSync. There is many topics on the apple forums about which software versions work best with Ford Sync.

I would start there. i have not tried my IPod yet since i am using the DroidX BT streaming it works great. I did update to the latest Sync software when I first got the car.

i like using the Droid since it is one device for music, directions and communications.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have yet to have issues with the Sync unit. it recognizes all my command 95% of the time. It downloads my phonebook from iphone perfectly fine. Only thing i have to try it navigation however i use google maps for that.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts