Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i rode in a fancy Flex today on the way home and it had all the bells and whistles. I loved the new ford Nav and stereo in it. Would it be possible to install in a base mustang? I know it wont have the antennas and so on but i could get them. I am wondering about if i HAVE to have sync to run it because obviously i dont have the sync module. Any input would be appreciated!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think you are SOL unless you had like a wreaked donor car to use..

It would be nice if the nav was plug and play, but it's not..

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are SOL unless you had like a wreaked donor car to use..

It would be nice if the nav was plug and play, but it's not..
Yeah i knew i may have to get a different wiring harness but i dont know how much work it would be to change that out. I am waiting for the socshe(sp?) dash kit but god only knows when that is coming out

·
Registered
300 Posts
I really wanted the NAV on mine, but wasn't willing to wait for it.. I got kinda addicted to the car after driving it..

So I am stuck with using my ol GPS unit till something better comes along.. We have enjoyed the sync and the shaker stereo.. The sync has turn by turn NAV, but I have yet to use it..

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really wanted the NAV on mine, but wasn't willing to wait for it.. I got kinda addicted to the car after driving it..

So I am stuck with using my ol GPS unit till something better comes along.. We have enjoyed the sync and the shaker stereo.. The sync has turn by turn NAV, but I have yet to use it..
Yeah i def miss sync and that is why i am looking for an aftermarket head unit for iphone/ipod integration. I had a 2008 fusion that had sync and my dad just got a new truck with the new sync including the traffic. I searched google but found mixed emotions about being able to install the nav. Some said yes but different wiring and some said its not possible.

·
Registered
36 Posts
There's no way it isn't possible. The real question is how available are all of the parts needed and would you be willing to pay the (most likely) outrageous price to get everything you need.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I paid less for my pre-paid smart phone than any name brand GPS and it works much better due to the constantly updated maps. It has all the same features too! No need for a windshield mounted GPS or an in-dash Ford Nav system either.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I paid less for my pre-paid smart phone than any name brand GPS and it works much better due to the constantly updated maps. It has all the same features too! No need for a windshield mounted GPS or an in-dash Ford Nav system either.
Well I'm not looking for just the nav. I already have a gps but I'm looking for the stock look and love the flow of the whole system.

·
Registered
191 Posts
You'll have to either get the Metra kit or wait for the Scosche kit to finally come out. I've seen some shots of the Metra kit and it looks pretty good.

The reason you can't just put in a factory Nav unit into your car is because there's no room for it unless it was built that way from the factory. It's not just a matter of wiring harnesses. If you look at the stock Navigation units they are positioned on the top. Those have room behind the dash for the factory units.

The reason the Metra kit and Scosche kits have the double din opening at the bottom is because that's where there's room for it for a model that didn't come with factory Navigation.

Sync is nice, but you can get something similar aftermarket. I use Sync mainly just for voice command for my iPod and for the bluetooth. You can get that with aftermarket units, and you can get better Navigation interfaces with an aftermarket unit. Kenwood uses Garmin, and that's my recommendation.

Long story short, the only option you really have is to use the Metra or Scosche kits and go aftermarket.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You'll have to either get the Metra kit or wait for the Scosche kit to finally come out. I've seen some shots of the Metra kit and it looks pretty good.

The reason you can't just put in a factory Nav unit into your car is because there's no room for it unless it was built that way from the factory. It's not just a matter of wiring harnesses. If you look at the stock Navigation units they are positioned on the top. Those have room behind the dash for the factory units.

The reason the Metra kit and Scosche kits have the double din opening at the bottom is because that's where there's room for it for a model that didn't come with factory Navigation.

Sync is nice, but you can get something similar aftermarket. I use Sync mainly just for voice command for my iPod and for the bluetooth. You can get that with aftermarket units, and you can get better Navigation interfaces with an aftermarket unit. Kenwood uses Garmin, and that's my recommendation.

Long story short, the only option you really have is to use the Metra or Scosche kits and go aftermarket.
I was afraid it would fit. I wish the darn scosche kit would come out already! I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about the metra kit. I guess I will just have to wait! I appreciate the info!

·
Registered
201 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts