Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon All......Quick heads up on my hood strut install this past weekend. I ordered the Ford Performance Hood Struts from AM and install went super easy except..... Do Not... I repeat.... Do not try and remove the support clips... there is no need to. Struts will snap right on the support balls. I tried removing the clips first... big mistake. Secondly.... any good engine cleaner you can recommend other than soap and water???? I did read a lot of people using leaf blowers after to remove any excess water. Thanks for any help!!!!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I also used the blower to remove the dust and dirt, before the wash.

Reactions: AMY2010GT

·
Registered
2002 Mustang GT coupe
119 Posts
Well, it seems it's risky to clean the engine bay no matter what method you use. I used tire foam on both a 2014 Xterra and a 2002 Mustang without problems. I didn't even cover anything (i.e. alternator). The tire foam did an adequate job. I hosed down with water at normal faucet pressure and blow dried the engine with my shop vac. The only precaution I used was to disconnect the battery. Hooked up the battery afterwards and fired up the engine. No problem. If you're going to be in a car show you will probably want to do more extensive cleaning.

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
I don't know if there is any "magic" cleaner for use under the hood; general purpose cleaners like Simple Green are OK if diluted with water.

I don't clean my engine bay very often, it's past due for sure . . . but if you do, it's a good idea to cover the ECU (gray box on passenger side in the front) and the air filter (if exposed) and the fuse box with aluminum foil or some kind of heavy plastic wrap, just to make sure no water gets in there. And don't use a high-pressure spray; just a very gentle spray or rinse.

I think a search through the threads in this section would probably find some hits on this topic but I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds good! All great ideas! I will def cover the CAI, ECU, and battery after disconnecting!!! Thanks for all the help!!

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
. . . I will def cover the . . . battery after disconnecting!!!
better not use aluminum foil to cover the battery, could easily short out the terminals to each other if you aren't careful to cover at least one of them with an insulator

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I have a neighbor, who has his engine steam cleaned. It's spotless and looks good. Has anyone else had theirs steamed cleaned?

·
Super Moderator
3,840 Posts
I have a neighbor, who has his engine steam cleaned. It's spotless and looks good. Has anyone else had theirs steamed cleaned?
I wonder if it removes all the wrinkles too:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
10,885 Posts
I wonder if it removes all the wrinkles too:ROFLMAO:
hmmmm . . . that makes me think . . . maybe there is a potential use for that useless steam wrinkle remover thing that my wife bought . . .
;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Little tardy to the party, generally speaking it's electronics and CAI (if not closed box), I just use a couple plastic bags from the grocery store when I use water to cover the areas. If you don't like the idea of using water, you can use a shop vacuum to remove loose debris (leaf's, twigs and etc). Once done you can use an all purpose cleaner, boars hair brush and some sacrificial towels. Most all purpose cleaners will work fine, but I personally like using Shine Supply Solution. It comes pre-diluted/ready to go and is safe to use in & out of the car. The below was my wifes escape that hasn't had its engine bay cleaned in a LONG time, did one quick pass in certain areas.

Before:
1AEF1B68-12BE-4D9E-B2BA-2DB9A83DACAB.jpeg

After:
302DFE30-9C4E-424C-BF8A-64F2121E463D.jpeg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Good Afternoon All......Quick heads up on my hood strut install this past weekend. I ordered the Ford Performance Hood Struts from AM and install went super easy except..... Do Not... I repeat.... Do not try and remove the support clips... there is no need to. Struts will snap right on the support balls. I tried removing the clips first... big mistake. Secondly.... any good engine cleaner you can recommend other than soap and water???? I did read a lot of people using leaf blowers after to remove any excess water. Thanks for any help!!!!
Griots makes a great engine cleaner and an engine detailer as well
20200919_113620.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts