Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The last time a four-cylinder turbo-charged engine was used in a Mustang, Ronald Reagan was president, but this may change. Ford is looking at producing a version of the EcoBoost turbocharged 4-cylinder found in the upcoming 2013 Ford Taurus for the new Mustang. The mustang would be a 2.3-liter version with a different cylinder head configuration.

Ford is also working on a 2.7-liter turbocharged V6 that is capable of powering front-wheel and rear-wheel drive cars. This engine is a likely candidate for the Edge crossover SUV, possibly the Fusion sedan and possibly the Mustang. This V6 may even power the Ford Ranger replacement.

For the Mustang enthusiasts reading this may be shedding a tear, do not worry. The 5.0-liter V8 is not going anywhere soon. However the V8 may receive direct-injection technology, to improve fuel efficiency. A source revealed there may be a plan to turbocharge the V8, but nothing is set in stone as of yet.

The Mustang lineup of engines is starting to resemble the variety Audi offers.

More: Ford Planning Turbocharged Four-Cylinder Mustang; The Return of the SVO? on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
they should just put the 3.5 ecoboost motor out of the sho in the mustang. also, if they are doing a 4 cyl turbo model mustang, it better make good power to move these things. these mustangs are alot heavier than the fox bodies of back in the day.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
well they'll probably find out once again that no one will buy a turbo 4 when it's offered next to a 5.0, while the SVO was way ahead of it's time, it was a poor seller. For those of you who weren't on the planet at in the early 80s, I will tell you it was one of the best driving cars of it's day, I drove one when I was 19, what killed it was the payment would have been $150 but the insurance was $150/month! So I kept driving my 1966

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
link not working Dave...3 cylinder? Might as well ride a motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I don't care how much power a 4 cyl would have, it still won't be able to produce a sound fit for a Mustang

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't care how much power a 4 cyl would have, it still won't be able to produce a sound fit for a Mustang
Agreed! There's just something about that V8 rumble that has to be there!

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
alot of people buy Mustangs just for the "look" and wouldn't care what engine came in it...a la the Mustang II...while the performance was dismal, Ford sold the crap out of it

·
Registered
119 Posts
alot of people buy Mustangs just for the "look" and wouldn't care what engine came in it...a la the Mustang II...while the performance was dismal, Ford sold the crap out of it
I was the same way but the look of my car kept making other people race me and I didnt win as often as id like so I sold my 6 and got an 8 :)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I would have to see the engine to make up my mind. There is alot of new technolgy out there. It wouldn't surprise me if you see a 300+HP 4cyl out there some day. I know the SVO made 200HP and that was about the same as a 5.0 of the same year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i agree completely with this. theres a distinct sound that mustangs have, and a 4 cylinder wont compare to that with any kind of exhaust

·
Registered
19 Posts
Autoguide took a few quotes from Tim of MotorAuthority verbatim I see.

I also want to point out that Motor Authority (the original pusblisher of the story) had zero sources and sounded more like they just needed to push a story to up their site hits.

The way Motor Authority and their affiliate sites work is they have tons of writers who submit 500 words or less pieces into a system. Then the editor decides which ones to publish.

These are paid and unpaid "contributors".The intent is to get as many impressions as possible to sell advertising. The whole Motor Authority group is a factory of teenage kids and college English majors regurgitating press releases and conjuring up stories for $10 a pop. I would take this story with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I wouldn't be suprised if they put a made the 4 cyl an option. the 2L engine in my evo makes it's power with only a cat-back, CAI, intercooler pipes, and a tune. And that's on almost 4 year old tech.

The only thing that makes me think they won't do it, is the gas mileage really isn't any better, the turbo system creates more reliability issues, and there's really no market space for it. Heck my evo doesn't get any better gas mileage than a stock gt.

That said, I prefer the sound of a nice throaty v8 over a 4 cyl anyday. And these modular motors produce such a nice sound with a nice exhaust.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I wouldn't be suprised if they put a made the 4 cyl an option. the 2L engine in my evo makes it's power with only a cat-back, CAI, intercooler pipes, and a tune. And that's on almost 4 year old tech.

The only thing that makes me think they won't do it, is the gas mileage really isn't any better, the turbo system creates more reliability issues, and there's really no market space for it. Heck my evo doesn't get any better gas mileage than a stock gt.

That said, I prefer the sound of a nice throaty v8 over a 4 cyl anyday. And these modular motors produce such a nice sound with a nice exhaust.
the thing is, your evo probably weighs 2800lbs.. so it requires no torque to go. you probably have 400hp and 250lbs of torque.

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
If anyone thinks the ecoboost technology creates reliability issues, I suggest that you look at the 5 part torture test video series on the F150 ecoboost motor. Its also an impressive show of marketing savvy that's been lacking in Ford's advertisements for decades.

With regards to the exhaust sound issue, its not so much the number of cylinders but the size of them. Arguably the most revered exhaust note in the history of the internal combustion engine is the Harley-Davidson twin. Bigger cylinders equals deeper tone. A 2.3L four-banger has the same cylinder size as a 4.6L V8.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
the thing is, your evo probably weighs 2800lbs.. so it requires no torque to go. you probably have 400hp and 250lbs of torque.
AWD has it's penalties and weight is one of them. That car weighs more along the lines of 3400 to 3500 lbs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.