Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, this story is probably on the web somewhere but I thought it worth mentioning. There was an AZ Republic article today about Ford's quality control. Apparently, the company is having numerous problems with the MyFordTouch and Sync systems. Both are reported to be extremely difficult to learn and prone to software glitches. In fact, they are so complicated to use that Ford is encouraging dealers to spend as much as 40 minutes with customers for training.

This is all really dissapointing news for everyone who thought and hoped Ford was on the comeback trail. This news along with the Mustang problems reported on this board don't leave me with any sense that quality is really Job 1 at Ford. Instead of "build it better, faster and cheaper", it's "build it faster and cheaper".

It was only a few years ago when the company's quality ratings were extremely low. Although Mulally helped bring about an improvement in quality ratings, the company seems to be drifting back to the dark days. I wish I knew how Ford could manage to screw up production testing and release buggy systems just when they had a golden opportunity to become the top U.S. auto producer. How does that happen...complacency or too many beancounters running the show. Maybe a good thesis topic for any aspiring MBAs out there especially if Ford continues to plummet in quality ratings. BTW, I'm a stockholder and if you are listening Mulally, time to fire your production VPs.

·
Banned
1,506 Posts
I've had the SYNC system since October of 09 and never had a problem. It's not complicated, but remembering all the voice commands is impossible. When you break it down the system is a computer and therefore not flexible. Much like a DOS command line you can not be close you have to be exact. IMO the system is under developed. I do not blame Ford, but instead Microsoft!

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
To bad they didn't mention the junk MT82 in the article also.

·
Registered
428 Posts
sync would be much better if you were able to be flexible with what you say...i know what you mean..my brother just got a 2010 gt and he uses sync all the time with no problems but he's 23 and sort of a "techy"...after getting out of my 89 and going to his its sort of a bit to get use to trying to remember what to say in order for it to work.

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
sync would be much better if you were able to be flexible with what you say...i know what you mean..my brother just got a 2010 gt and he uses sync all the time with no problems but he's 23 and sort of a "techy"...after getting out of my 89 and going to his its sort of a bit to get use to trying to remember what to say in order for it to work.
To be fair, they're not referring to SYNC... The problem is with MyFordTouch which debuted last year on select Fords and Lincolns. SYNC is very simple to use. MyFordTouch is just terrible.

The main reasons Ford went from 5th place down to 23rd in initial quality this year was mainly due to customer complaints about MyFordTouch and the Fiesta/Focus Dual Clutch Automatic built by Ford-Getrag which has been a bit of a mess if you read the Fiesta forums. Add the Ford-Getrag MT82 to the equation and there's work to do.

MyFordTouch Review
Fiesta PowerShift Problems

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
The MyFordTouch in my wife's Edge has been working great for 7 months. I must have good luck with Fords.

I've owned a lot of Fords and will be the first to say that you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Yes, there was big article somewhere on this not too long ago and I'm pretty sure there were links posted here. Based on this I'm glad we didn't get the latest version.

I've been playing around with SYNC quite a bit and the only thing really driving me nuts is it absolutely cannot understand me when I say the word "pause" as a USB command. SYNC replies "who do you want to call?" every time. :blink:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I've owned a lot of Fords and will be the first to say that you get what you pay for.
What's that supposed to mean? A lot of Fords aren't exactly inexpensive and comparable in price to Honda's and Toyotas which are generally very reliable. You can buy a really cheap Kia that will be at least average in reliability. Are you insinuating that people should expect crap unless they are paying over $50k for a luxury car? I can assure you that most consumers don't share your low expectations.

Ford's going very tech heavy in their new cars so it's understandable that they are going to have some issues with new technology like myfordtouch and twin clutch automatics. Sounds like some of these new products were maybe rushed out the door a little undercooked. Hopefully they deal with those issues better than they have the MT82 or they definitely could lose some of the momentum they have gained in recent years. I find the SYNC in my car performs excellent and I expect they will eventually iron out the kinks in myfordtouch.

·
Registered
748 Posts
To bad they didn't mention the junk MT82 in the article also.
Nearly 12,000 miles of hard driving (from 26F in Michigan to 104F in Dallas) and not one problem outta the MT82 in my '11.

The only trans issue I ever had was with the manual in my '08 GT CS.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
What's that supposed to mean? A lot of Fords aren't exactly inexpensive and comparable in price to Honda's and Toyotas which are generally very reliable. You can buy a really cheap Kia that will be at least average in reliability. Are you insinuating that people should expect crap unless they are paying over $50k for a luxury car? I can assure you that most consumers don't share your low expectations.

Ford's going very tech heavy in their new cars so it's understandable that they are going to have some issues with new technology like myfordtouch and twin clutch automatics. Sounds like some of these new products were maybe rushed out the door a little undercooked. Hopefully they deal with those issues better than they have the MT82 or they definitely could lose some of the momentum they have gained in recent years. I find the SYNC in my car performs excellent and I expect they will eventually iron out the kinks in myfordtouch.
I'm sorry I made that statement. Being a loyal Ford owner for 30+ years I guess I'm just out of touch.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've got the electronics package and it works fine. The Mustang's manual controls work fine (different than the vehicle in the video). I do need to say that learning all the voice commands takes a while (at least the screen shows a list of what commands are available when using sync). Yes, it's complicated, but what do you expect from the designer of Windows? Overall, I think they're cool toys in my car.

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
I know, right? Until it appeared in the Focus recently, MyFordTouch was only available in the Edge and a Lincoln... Both can run well over $40k. I think the issue with MyFordTouch that owner's don't like is that you HAVE to use it. No presets on the dash, no volume knob, etc. Technology benefits us when it serves a purpose. Technology for technology's sake just gets in the way. BMW went through this with iDrive and it took 7 years of revisions to make it more usable. Hopefully Ford will devote the resources to making it Better quicker. Most of BMWs research after getting trashed for the first iDrive showed people wanted volume and tuning knobs, fan and temp dials, and preset buttons for the radio... No matter how advanced the system.

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
Nearly 12,000 miles of hard driving (from 26F in Michigan to 104F in Dallas) and not one problem outta the MT82 in my '11.

The only trans issue I ever had was with the manual in my '08 GT CS.
Lucky guy!!! Want to trade???

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I know, right? Until it appeared in the Focus recently, MyFordTouch was only available in the Edge and a Lincoln... Both can run well over $40k. I think the issue with MyFordTouch that owner's don't like is that you HAVE to use it. No presets on the dash, no volume knob, etc. Technology benefits us when it serves a purpose. Technology for technology's sake just gets in the way. BMW went through this with iDrive and it took 7 years of revisions to make it more usable. Hopefully Ford will devote the resources to making it Better quicker. Most of BMWs research after getting trashed for the first iDrive showed people wanted volume and tuning knobs, fan and temp dials, and preset buttons for the radio... No matter how advanced the system.
There's a volume knob below the touch screen and also a volume control on the steering wheel. The system is complicated but works great. I think there's a lot of user error.

·
Banned
2,000 Posts
There's a volume knob below the touch screen and also a volume control on the steering wheel. The system is complicated but works great. I think there's a lot of user error.
It's not User error. It's a system in need of a redesign by all accounts. Even by Ford's own admission. User error does not lower an entire company's quality rating from 5th to 23rd place. Particularly when so few of the company's cars use this system. It comes from many owners polled indicating they've had issues with the system.

Don't blame owners, geez.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
It's not User error. It's a system in need of a redesign by all accounts. Even by Ford's own admission. User error does not lower an entire company's quality rating from 5th to 23rd place. Particularly when so few of the company's cars use this system. It comes from many owners polled indicating they've had issues with the system.

Damn Dude, you need to calm down before you blow a gasket.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

While MFT has a few glitches, most of the issues do arise from the user side. Ford's biggest mistake is not ALSO offering conventional controls for those unable/unwilling to learn.

Case in point: 80 year old woman rear-ended me in my Focus last May, she was driving a Fusion. I got out of my car, had to instruct her to put the car in park and shut off the engine and put on her 4-way flashers -- she didn't even know how to put them on or where the controls were.

And you expect people like this to operate MFT? Not a chance. But what Ford did is said, "well, let's make everything controlled by whiz-bang gizmos" and not offer the same type of controls people have become accustomed to over the past 20 years.

I know people in their 30s and 40s that still can't navigate their way around a computer. Ford should have known better to assume everyone can.

·
Registered
2,476 Posts

By "all accounts". What special pole did you guys design blindly this time?

Yes it is user error. 0's and 1's don't simply juxtapose while YOU are driving the car.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.