Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo,
I'm wondering who has installed the ford racing gauge pod and the ford racing branded auto meter gauges. I have water temp, voltmeter, and oil pressure gauges. It looks amazing during the day, but at night the gauges are so bright it's distracting. I'm considering 3 options- 1) buying the dimmer from auto meter and setting it to how I keep the stock interior at night, 2) having the gauges tinted to reduce brightness/match the interior aqua blue color, or 3) Replace the LEDs within the interior with white LEDs, which would better match the gauges... Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
If you have access to the wire you tapped to light the gauges you can place a potentiometer (variable resistor) inline to cut the voltage. You can then mount it anywhere hidden under the dash. It's basically what the autometer dimmer does but costs about $3

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice... So if I do get the gauges to be dimmer, afterwards would there be any way to change the color of the gauges? They would still be white and the rest of the interior lights would be aqua blue/green. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Nice... So if I do get the gauges to be dimmer, afterwards would there be any way to change the color of the gauges? They would still be white and the rest of the interior lights would be aqua blue/green. Thanks in advance
Unless Autometer has coloured replacement bulbs, you're either stuck with white (which may turn yellowish when dimmed) unless you want to open up your guages and use a coloured laquer on them (I wouldn't recommend it).

BTW, you need to double-check which type of lighting you have in your gauges before you put a pot inline.

Auto Meter

1 - 4 of 4 Posts