Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I am considering purchasing the ford racing CAI with tuner. Has anyone installed this on their mustang? If so what are your opinions on the performance improvements? Gas Mileage? Can it be tuned to run on 89 octane?

Thanks for your reply

Darren

·
Registered
910 Posts
FRPP Performance Upgrade

Hi there, I am considering purchasing the ford racing CAI with tuner. Has anyone installed this on their mustang? If so what are your opinions on the performance improvements? Gas Mileage? Can it be tuned to run on 89 octane?

Thanks for your reply

Darren
I put one on my 2008 GT. Very noticable improvment in both power and sound. Plus it looks like it was designed for the car. The package includes a voucher for a procal tuner but the tune there in can not be modified. You can load in the tune and you can restore your factory tune. The tune is for 91. The only advantage FRPP CAI what their tune has is that its 50 state legal and comes with a CARB EO sticker. Even if I were to get a tune from a 3rd party, I would still be saddled with 91 as I just don't see anything higher forsale. If you want to change gears or wheel diameter you have to send the unit back to Ford Racing and pay them 150 bucks to change the tune if you want the speedometer and MPG display to read correctly.

The potential is there to eat more gas and it will if you want it too. But if you take it easy the MPG is the same. Ah the wonders of multiport fuel injection and computers with feed back sensors.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts

Thanks for your reply

Darren
HEY ANOTHER BC TROOPER on here, AWESOME!:D

The ford racing CAI is pretty awesome but is tuned to work on i believe 91 octane or higher.

If I may suggest.... although I bet your looking into the ford racing cai for warranty reasons, am i right? Look into a different setup if you dont have warrant issues... you will find the flexibility in those setup up much better ... you can do whatever you like with them 89, 91, 94... and they have shown better gains.

Also if you ever come down to the lower-mainland... check out JMS in surrey... he's got a dyno (finally!) and does good work for decent prices (no ripping off like brown bros ford) if you need a custom dyno tune.:bigthumbsup

I would say look into JLT, C&L, Steeda.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
HEY ANOTHER BC TROOPER on here, AWESOME!:D

The ford racing CAI is pretty awesome but is tuned to work on i believe 91 octane or higher.

If I may suggest.... although I bet your looking into the ford racing cai for warranty reasons, am i right? Look into a different setup if you dont have warrant issues... you will find the flexibility in those setup up much better ... you can do whatever you like with them 89, 91, 94... and they have shown better gains.

Also if you ever come down to the lower-mainland... check out JMS in surrey... he's got a dyno (finally!) and does good work for decent prices (no ripping off like brown bros ford) if you need a custom dyno tune.:bigthumbsup

I would say look into JLT, C&L, Steeda.
+ a kajillion
:hihi:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Last I looked, the FRPP CAI set was way pricier than any of the others as well. That may have changed. I would think a kit from Bamachips or Tillman would be more desirable (hence the reason so many more people on AFM seem to use them).

~HA

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
What I would like to know is why they changed it from 90mm to 85mm after 07. Also why they went from the nice shiny aluminum heat shield to the cheap looking black plastic.

If it was the pre '07 one I'd get it, but if it's the other lame looking, smaller one, then I'd get the C&L Racer or JLT.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I would imagine the black plastic is actually better at blocking the heat. Aluminum is a fantastic heat conductor. The don't wrap aluminum foil around turkey and ham to keep the heat out, now do they? :hihi:

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I would imagine the black plastic is actually better at blocking the heat. Aluminum is a fantastic heat conductor. The don't wrap aluminum foil around turkey and ham to keep the heat out, now do they? :hihi:

They don't wrap plastic around them either :)

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
if you want the nicest looking piece out there... then get the steeda with the cf elbow imo.... it will cost arm and a leg tho, lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the advice, I've looked into the steeda setup and yes is does seem quite expensive. I am bascially looking to increase some horsepower without giving up too much fuel economy ( good luck right ?) . But with premium fuel being so much more expensive, especially here in Canada, i was thinking the amount of fuel efficiency I may pick up will be offset by the increase cost of premium fuel. As an alternative i was also considering the steeda underdrive pulleys, what are your guys opinion on those?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
thanks for the advice, I've looked into the steeda setup and yes is does seem quite expensive. I am bascially looking to increase some horsepower without giving up too much fuel economy ( good luck right ?) . But with premium fuel being so much more expensive, especially here in Canada, i was thinking the amount of fuel efficiency I may pick up will be offset by the increase cost of premium fuel. As an alternative i was also considering the steeda underdrive pulleys, what are your guys opinion on those?

Pullies will increase mileage too.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Hey i hear ya man.... but in Canada we get boned on everything anyways bro and even more so for us BC people.... I got gas for .94/litre across the border today!!!!!
Friggen crazzy considering prices here are 1.15/litre today (at-least in the lower mainland it is, what is it in vernon today?)

But anyways.... my personal reccomendation to you would be this for a CAI: Get the JLT II with a tune. As for the underdrive pulley get the steeda or roush.
Steeda CAI is nice but overpriced imo.
As for the CAI decreasing gas mileage not true! CAI will improve your gas mileage!!! What will decrease your gas milage is your right foot:gringreen:gringreen

And for the love of god dont order anything from Brown Bro's Ford.... they will rip you off imo!!!!!!! <<< Just thought I would let you know for the heck of it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Steeda CAI is great. If I remember correctly, it's the same as the FRPP intake. I got mine with the high-flow elbow all in one shot, but I don't think it would work as well without it. I highly recommend it. Get on eBay, and get a used one. There are no moving parts in a CAI, and you can clean the filter, so it's pretty safe to buy a used one.

As far as tuning it goes: If you get an SCT or Diablo tuner, you can get someone to write you a tune for it for whatever octane you want. If you get the Ford programmer, you will have to use premium and that tune is NO WHERE near as good as one from BamaChips, BrenSpeed, Tillman, etc.

My $0.02 :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8 Posts
I thought it was stainless steel...either way it looks much better than the black plastic. I'm glad i got the Ford Racing Intake/Calibration when I did!:hihi:

·
Registered
22 Posts
The only advantage FRPP CAI what their tune has is that its 50 state legal and comes with a CARB EO sticker. Even if I were to get a tune from a 3rd party, I would still be saddled with 91 as I just don't see anything higher forsale.
good old california lol ;)

and whatever you do DO NOT use americanmuscle for a tune. complete waste of money lol when my gt was completely stock i smoked my friends who bought the jlt and got a tune from them :headscratch:

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just picked up my '09 GT. Someone else who was trying to buy it had the dealership install the Ford Racing CAI w/tuner, ceramic shorty headers, Ford Racing mufflers & 4.10 gears. The guy's financing fell thru, but mine didn't. I looked at the car for like 6 months, not wanting to spend the additional money for the mods. But I just kept coming back to it. The mods added a lot to the price, but it's a blast to drive. I'm really curious as to what HP it's making & I'll probably get it to a dyno someday.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I just picked up my '09 GT. Someone else who was trying to buy it had the dealership install the Ford Racing CAI w/tuner, ceramic shorty headers, Ford Racing mufflers & 4.10 gears. The guy's financing fell thru, but mine didn't. I looked at the car for like 6 months, not wanting to spend the additional money for the mods. But I just kept coming back to it. The mods added a lot to the price, but it's a blast to drive. I'm really curious as to what HP it's making & I'll probably get it to a dyno someday.
Well the shorty headers added nothing for power and neither did the mufflers and neither did the 4.10's.... the 4.10's are making the car go faster though thats for sure.

I figure you dyno in at 285-290rwhp.

that is kinda cool though you bought the car brand new from the dealership like that for sure:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
419 Posts
Nothing at all from the headers & mufflers????? I would've thought getting rid of some back pressure would be worth 5-10 hp or at least something.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back to the original topic, can the FFRP cai be tunes with another tuner such as SCT for 87 or 89 octane?

DB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.