Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm debating on doing the Ford Racing intake manifold. I plan on keeping the car NA, for I can't afford a supercharger, though I drool at the idea of one, it's just not feasible. So, with that being said, would the intake be worth it with this build:

JLT/CAI, LT Headers, O/R Xpipe, 4:10 Gears, and possibly, the Ford Racing Intake manifold with mthumper cams

Or would I be just as well off, with cmdp's minus the manifold?

Man, I just wish I could strap on an eforce and be done .. lol :mesad:

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am happy with mine. But I did the whole top end at one time. I did FRPP ported and polished heads, Hot Rod Cams, Intake, and GT 500 TB. The car is very strong especially once you get past 3000 rpm and it pulls all the way to red line.

·
Registered
784 Posts
if your planning on getting a twin screw in the future just skip the cmdps/intake manifold. unless you plan to go centri then go for it

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Another one of those "make you feel good" mods, but limited value and very mixed reviews. Certainly adds to the placebo affect.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
The guys at Sutton HP told me not to waste the money on it. Unless you're going to do what the poster a few above did, you probably would barely, if at all, notice it.

You could afford the s/c, you just dont have the patience to wait a while:laugh:

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Thumper cams are not going to give you more power they are really just for sound and they take away from the bottom end torque. The manifold is not a great mod unless you have a centri supercharger or built top end.Not sure how it would be for nitrous though. HMM?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
The manifold is not a great mod unless you have a centri supercharger or built top end.Not sure how it would be for nitrous though. HMM?
This manifold is still composite just like the stock 3V manifold. It could still blow apart at high boost or a good shot of nitrous, and doesn't distribute the a/f mixture as evenly between cylinders as say the JPC one.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Imo

Just my 2cents save your money if your going to stay N/A the CMDP's and some stage 2 Comp Cams or Detroit Rockers or Hot Rod cams. The muththumpers I just did not like them in traffic my cousin has them and it drove me nuts. I have the DR cams love them but in all fairness you can see the same HP gains from the Hot Rods and Stage 2 NSR. I have drove cars with the above mentioned cams.
If the look of the factory intake bothers you they make nice intake covers but I think it's just 1 more place for heat to get trapped.

My MODS CMDP's , JLT CAI , SCT2 X3 , Brenspeed 93 , UPR Catch CAN , Metco 4 pc idler pullies , UDP's , 3.73 gear, BMR LCA'
Detroit Rocker Cams, Pypes muffler deletes, 327 RWHP
Need some L/T Headers and new Dyno Tune and a few suspension parts.I think I can hit 350RWHP we will see.

I hope this helps as it pulls nice thru the gears 1-4 if it was SC then 5th would be nice but N/A it is what it is Over Drive it still gains speed but very hollow compared to 3rd and 4th.

T Wayne in Iraq

·
Registered
182 Posts
Honestly I would not get the mutha thumpers. I have had them and have had nothing but problems since. So much that I have seriously debated just installed the stock cams back and loosing the awesome noise. From the reviews I have read, i would go with ford racing or detroit cams

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You could afford the s/c, you just dont have the patience to wait a while:laugh:

There actually is some truth to this statement:gringreen

It's so easy to get bitten by the mod/power bug it seems you just wanna add everything you can to gain more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
It's so easy to get bitten by the mod/power bug it seems you just wanna add everything you can to gain more !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Until you go broke, like me :)

I probably need professional therapy but can't afford it now :kooky:
I need to earn a new contract or two to keep it up.

I guess there's worse things to be addicted to...

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Just my 2cents save your money if your going to stay N/A the CMDP's and some stage 2 Comp Cams or Detroit Rockers or Hot Rod cams. The muththumpers I just did not like them in traffic my cousin has them and it drove me nuts. I have the DR cams love them but in all fairness you can see the same HP gains from the Hot Rods and Stage 2 NSR. I have drove cars with the above mentioned cams.
If the look of the factory intake bothers you they make nice intake covers but I think it's just 1 more place for heat to get trapped.

My MODS CMDP's , JLT CAI , SCT2 X3 , Brenspeed 93 , UPR Catch CAN , Metco 4 pc idler pullies , UDP's , 3.73 gear, BMR LCA'
Need some L/T Headers and new Dyno Tune and a few suspension parts.I think I can hit 350RWHP we will see.

I hope this helps as it pulls nice thru the gears 1-4 if it was SC then 5th would be nice but N/A it is what it is Over Drive it still gains speed but very hollow compared to 3rd and 4th.

T Wayne in Iraq
Hey T Wayne, 327 seems a bit high with only CMDPs/ cai/tune/udps/ and cams.
Was this dyno'd?

Also, you'll probably need new heads as well to hit 350 N/A

Did you do everything at once? If not, was there any noticable gains from the CMDPs? I think this will be next for me.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

T Wayne in Iraq
You'll hit that for sure, or come very close. Detroit Rockers actually make power, unlike some of these others, so better breathing exhaust should let her rip.

When you coming home?? Just got some new work for a defense contractor Saturday...they took a look at my DD214 and said you got it. No polygraph or anything like I was used to. Perks of time in hell I guess.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
This manifold is still composite just like the stock 3V manifold. It could still blow apart at high boost or a good shot of nitrous, and doesn't distribute the a/f mixture as evenly between cylinders as say the JPC one.
Yes the JPC IS my favorite manifold for sure. It is also the most expensive and you get what you pay for. The FRRP manifold would be better than stock for nitrous with the pooling issues of nitrous. The Jpc would be very interesting to see what kind of a gain I could get .

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Yes the JPC IS my favorite manifold for sure. It is also the most expensive and you get what you pay for. The FRRP manifold would be better than stock for nitrous with the pooling issues of nitrous. The Jpc would be very interesting to see what kind of a gain I could get .
The JPC can be ordered with nitrous ports but you probably know that. Here's an independent test of it, but on a fairly mild sc'd car, sans nitrous. 38 rwhp at 5000 rpm's and 46 extra at 5800 rpm's.

JPC Racing Three-Valve Intake - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords

From JPC's website:

JPC Racing 3V Intake Manifold

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Pic of JPC sitting on top of the 302 that went into my ex-stang. No dyno yet. Gotta tell you though....it was not purchased to yield a single extra hp. It was bought as part of the new build in progress, for the promise of even distribution of gases per cylinder, and also that it is a proven race product on an 8s S197. The stock intake manifold failed in this regard at 20+ lbs boost and contributed to the last built motor going super nova.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Pic of JPC sitting on top of the 302 that went into my ex-stang. No dyno yet. Gotta tell you though....it was not purchased to yield a single extra hp. It was bought as part of the new build in progress, for the promise of even distribution of gases per cylinder, and also that it is a proven race product on an 8s S197. The stock intake manifold failed in this regard at 20+ lbs boost and contributed to the last built motor going super nova.
Your post sounds familiar...another endorsement. But for me it was even distribution of gases PLUS extra power. Can't run those 8's without something like this.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Car is not destined for 8s, but low 9s are possible. It's lost 400 lbs since 10.0 and much weight has been moved from nose to mid and rear sections. Also looking at squeezing out 3-5 lbs more boost than before. Although I do not own the car anymore (sold to speed shop), I will be following and reporting on its progress.

·
Registered
9,473 Posts
Yes the JPC IS my favorite manifold . . . also the most expensive . . . ..
wow, I guess so . . .

I think the OP was looking at the Ford Racing manifold because of the relatively affordable price (same here) ; the JPC looks great but is in a whole different ballpark on price ($1,200 on sale versus about $550)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts