Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the Ford Racing N-Springs (AA link here)installed on my car and I just thought I'd write a short review here. I picked them up from my dealer for $175 and had them installed for $300. I did not wan't to install them myself and for that price I think I got a pretty good deal. It only took him about 2 hours to get them swapped.

First impression, for $490 including tax and labor this is a no brainer if you want a better handling mustang. I still need to get the alignment done so add that to the cost. I did not need camber adjustments so I guess I lucked out there.

The car doesn't do that infamous nose dive when letting off the throttle or braking hard. In fact the brakes feel much more touchy as the car doesn't lean forward. Body roll has been nearly eliminated and cornering feels much more agile. It isn't as stiff as my friends deceased lotus elise but for how big and heavy this car is it's pretty incredible how much a simple spring swap can affect driving.

This isn't for everyone. The ride is a little more harsh and you can definitely tell there is a solid rear axel back there. The drop wasn't substantial. At 1.25" it doesn't appear much lower than it did stock. So if you want to get the look of a really low mustang you will probably have to drop it even further.

I guess that's it. I wasn't sure if anyone else had done this or posted a review so if this is a duplicate I apologize. If you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Thanks a lot for the review of them. That is actually very thorough and well put. In Mustangs there are so many springs to chose from, it's hard to just look at "specs" posted by the vendors. Most list the expected drop rate, but don't mention the spring rates making it very hard to judge how it is going to act on a daily basis.

Just one question... got any pics?

·
Registered
321 Posts
so does she still have that nose drunk bounce on the freeway that makes it feel like its going to bounce off the road? Or is it gone... cause if its gone...ill get the springs... i hate that boat feeling

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so does she still have that nose drunk bounce on the freeway that makes it feel like its going to bounce off the road? Or is it gone... cause if its gone...ill get the springs... i hate that boat feeling
That's completely gone. And I tested it on Houston traffic on the way home. Before on a scale of 1-10 it was like an 8 for nose dive. Now it's like a 2 or 3. I hate stop and go traffic but this makes dealing with sudden stops much better.

B

·
0 Posts
From all the posts out there, I was led to believe that your rear end would be off kilter after lowering so should also get an adjustable panard bar. Do you notice any difference in the rear?

·
Registered
670 Posts
you didnt need new shocks and struts? im actually not far from u too. im in katy.
for anything less than 2" the stock springs should hold a long while depending on driving style over speed bumps and crap roads

·
Registered
321 Posts
That's completely gone. And I tested it on Houston traffic on the way home. Before on a scale of 1-10 it was like an 8 for nose dive. Now it's like a 2 or 3. I hate stop and go traffic but this makes dealing with sudden stops much better.
awesome. thanks for the replys man :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update. It's been a few days since I had them installed. When I got my alignment done they mentioned that it had a very small amount of negative camber but it was completely in spec and would not cause any tire wear. It doesn't pull to any side between 0-80mph which is great. It handles like a dream.

Honestly if I could have only made one modification to my mustang this would have been it. I highly recommend these springs for both cost and performance on the street. I don't track my car so I can't comment how it would handle there.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So are you saying you don't need the panhard bar?
Well my alignment checked out and the mechanic I talked to at ford racing said I wouldn't need one. I don't feel the axel moving under heavy cornering, in fact I'd say it was much worse before.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Well my alignment checked out and the mechanic I talked to at ford racing said I wouldn't need one. I don't feel the axel moving under heavy cornering, in fact I'd say it was much worse before.
but when its just sitting there, is one tire sticking out the side while the other. is pushed in more?

B

·
0 Posts
This is what I'm trying to determine as well. I thought with even the Eibach Pro-Kit or Vogtlands with an even milder drop, a panhard would be required to line everything up. Why would these be any different?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
but when its just sitting there, is one tire sticking out the side while the other. is pushed in more?
The only way I can answer this (if you mean while cornering) is by video taping my rear wheels while cornering hard. Not sure how I can attach my camera without having it fall off or ruining my paint.

If you're asking when the car is parked, both tires are in the same location. I even got on my knees to check. My girlfriend is starting to think I'm going crazy.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
This is what I'm trying to determine as well. I thought with even the Eibach Pro-Kit or Vogtlands with an even milder drop, a panhard would be required to line everything up. Why would these be any different?
Maybe it was already off before it was lowered and the lowering actually brought it back to even.

Of course if you are just eyeballing it you would be hard pressed to tell, not like there will be a real big difference.

But with a panhard bar type setup, all up and down movement will change the side to side relationship since the bar travels in an arc.

·
Registered
670 Posts
The only way I can answer this (if you mean while cornering) is by video taping my rear wheels while cornering hard. Not sure how I can attach my camera without having it fall off or ruining my paint.

If you're asking when the car is parked, both tires are in the same location. I even got on my knees to check. My girlfriend is starting to think I'm going crazy.
it really depends on your wheels and the offset as to how noticeable the difference is for the rear wheels. a friend of mine put 20" wheels on the rear (forgot the offset) and he has the n springs and it was a very noticeable difference then when the factory wheels were on (one side sat even with the fender the other sat a pinky's width out). but i have a lower drop but 18" wheels and mine are even (maybe a hairs width difference but not anything noticeable).

B

·
0 Posts
Okay I think I get it. You probably notice it more with lower offset wheels. So I might get the eibach pro kit which is an even milder drop and see if I need to line things up in the back.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts