Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts
  • Ford engineers put shorty headers on the 2011 Mustang GT.
  • Ford engineers are all dumb assess.
  • AFM could save Ford a considerable amount of money if they never would have switched to these worthless short headers.
  • Ford will cut corners 86'ing the passenger's side lock cylinder but blow R&D money on short headers. How did they manage to stay out of bankruptcy?
  • When will Ford start listening to the general public and give up this crazy idea that short headers work better than straight up exhaust manifolds?
  • What a bunch of Dearborn dumb assess.... Viva the delete plate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin:

IDIOTS!!!!! Short headers????? What are they thinking??????

Those Ford Engineers really need to spend more time on AFM. We'd set them straight!

Oh, the humanity!!!!!!!

:rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin::rollgrin:

A planet where Apes evolved from Man! Oh the humanity (or lack thereof)!:D

I will conceded that there is the possibility of gains from an equal length shorty header on some combinations I will not agree that they are anywhere near close to a good $$/hp ratio. Much better off to spend the extra bucks on something else or longtubes.

As far as the new 5.0 headers go those are not exactly shorties. They are not long tubes either. They are best defined as mid length. Which gives a lot more opportunity to design them for some scavenging.

That being said the 5.0 motors are picking up as much if not more hp than the 3v with LT’s. It’s not like Fords decision to put tuned length, mid length headers was the be all, end all of heard design for that motor. They are still massively compromised. Better than manifolds though.

The headers on the 5.0 are an improvement to manifolds. What most people forget is that the engineers have to fall within a set group of emission and MPG standards. They are by no means dumb, after all the new Shelby with it's 55ohp doesn't get hit with the gas guzzler tax and the GT has 412hp and is sold in CA where the emission NAZIs are. I'm sure if given the opertunity to build a Stang with nothing to regulate them, one insanely fast car would produced. We just see an end product and wonder why if everyone lowers theie Mustang they keep being produced with a 4x4 stance. Belive it or not the majority of the Mustang owners don't do any thing to their Pony but add gas and get oil changes. That majority seems to like a soft quite ride and still want to be able to say they own a Stang. So, between them and the emmision NAZIs we get hosed.

Absolutely. You could pick up a set of delete plates from Steeda for about the same price. You'd probably lose some torque on the bottom end but you see maybe a good 4 hp on the top end....
I never said anything specific, and that money could be contributed towards something worthwhile.

I didn't give up any torque at least that I noticed with my delete plates. I did everything through Brenspeed and the tune they made for me with the deletes rocks. Botom line it's all in the tune.

I have the Ford Racing Ceramics. They look great, and definitely enhance the exhaust note. But like any headers, they are a royal pain to install. I replaced the motor mounts since I had it jacked-up for the install.
Long tubes are illegal almost everywhere, and removing them for emissions inspection is out of the question. Just my 2-cents.
Use the stainless bolts and two-piece lock washers from Totally Stainless. They won't gall the aluminum threads (do use anti-seize), and they won't loosen up over time.
Good luck.

"Get your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!" :)

I read an interview with the Ford engineers on the 2011 GT. They said with the headers having to be short (due to emissions) they chased port separation...

In addition to adding displacement and boosting the flow of air into the engine, Ford’s engineers also streamlined the flow of air out of the engine. Its innovative tubular exhaust headers are credited with increasing output by 6 hp and 15 lb·ft (4.5 kW and 20 N·m, respectively), according to Adam Christian, the program's intake, exhaust and combustion engineer.
Working within the package constraints of the Mustang's engine-compartment space, Ford’s engineers were stumped by the challenge of designing extremely compact headers that would both minimize the effect of the destructive power pulses and maximize the effect of the beneficial ones.
Mulling the problem while in the shower, Christian had an epiphany. Rather than trying to create a header design that optimized the potentially useful exhaust pulses, he decided instead to create one that eliminated the power-robbing impact of the destructive ones, by simply pairing adjacent cylinders.
He carried some lengths of steel tubing home and welded up a prototype in his garage workshop. Two weeks later its effectiveness was proven out on the dyno.
Christian said he was motivated to devise the unorthodox solution by his team leader Mike Harrison, who told him, “Adam, just make it happen.”
The production tubular headers are manufactured by Benteler Automotive Corp. Christian admits that while their price premium compared to cast iron manifolds has caused some contention within the company, the power benefit is worth it.

It’s not like Fords decision to put tuned length, mid length headers was the be all, end all of heard design for that motor. They are still massively compromised. Better than manifolds though.

Absolutely....

"Get your stinking paws off me, you damn dirty ape!" :)

I read an interview with the Ford engineers on the 2011 GT. They said with the headers having to be short (due to emissions) they chased port separation...
[/font]
Yeah, unfortunately for Ford they have to have the cats right up there near the motor for them to work correctly.

It’s not like they don’t know how to design a header, the FR500 ones work pretty good and I was under a 2010 3v with some FRPP longtubes the other day and they were very nice looking. The collectors were beautiful.:bigthumbsup

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.