1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Your stocker fits 28 spline axles and uses the old (quite OK) friction material. You can get the carbon fiber clutch plates by swapping in this Ford Racing 8.8" Traction-LOK Rebuild Kit w/ Carbon Discs at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! , although you will still be 28-spline. Should you get the FRPP part you posted about, you'd have to get 31 spline axles to mate (e.g., a pair of Moser C-clip 31-spline axles).

Since your differential will be essentially new when you make your swap, just re-use it. And you can skip the small bottle of friction modifier....

I use the 31-spline unit in my street-drag '03 Mach 1. Since I replaced the axles and went to 4.30s at 25,000 miles, it was a quick way to freshen the rear end at the same time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
11' and 12' V6's should use a 31 spline.

I have been told it is nearly identical to the GT now with the exception of the drive shaft. (And possibly the axles, as the GT 31 spline 2011 Moser axles do not show V6's for fitment.)

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
Really? How enlightened for Ford if they gave the V6 31-spline !

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
It wouldn't surprise me if all the Mustangs have the carbon fibre clutch discs in the diff.

Anyway, no reason to spend the money on a new diff, best just use the one it comes with until you wear it out.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It wouldn't surprise me if all the Mustangs have the carbon fibre clutch discs in the diff.

Anyway, no reason to spend the money on a new diff, best just use the one it comes with until you wear it out.
Fair enough, as long as no ones having problems with it.

I was just thinking if it really did give a better slip lock I might as swap it with he gears, as it would cost less for install then.

I guess I'll just stick with factory until they were out.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yeah, I had this same question a little while ago and called American Muscle to ask them. The problem is the confusing nomenclature. T-lok or traction lok is just a limited slip differential. It's not a Torsen, and I know there are higher quality components that can be utilized, but it's a bit misleading. You either have an open differential, or you have a limited slip, and 2011+ vehicles have limited slip; so, it's not like you'd be upgrading from an open differential to a t-lok.

New vehicle doesn't need the rebuild kit.

·
Registered
7,791 Posts
Fair enough, as long as no ones having problems with it.

I was just thinking if it really did give a better slip lock I might as swap it with he gears, as it would cost less for install then.

I guess I'll just stick with factory until they were out.
One day when you wear it out you can always rebuild it with the carbon fibre clutches and you don't even have to take the diff out of the rear end housing to do it.

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
... and you don't even have to take the diff out of the rear end housing to do it.
And it's so much fun swearing while you do !

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Does anyone know what the difference between this and the stock LSD is?

Ford Racing 8.8 in 31 Spline Traction - LOK Mustang Limited Slip Differential w/ Carbon Discs at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

I am thinking about swapping my gears up to 3.73 from 3.31 on a "performance package" V6 when it comes in, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade the LSD at the same time.

(If the stock version is nearly as good I probably won't worry about it.)
One day when you wear it out you can always rebuild it with the carbon fibre clutches and you don't even have to take the diff out of the rear end housing to do it.
That is exactly what you have currently in your 2011 V6.
You do not really need the T-lok rebuild kit, either, as your car is brand new.

And it's so much fun swearing while you do !
Heck, I don't do any work on a car without that...
I always thought the first step in every Chilton manual was to learn every curse-word possible:bigthumbsup

·
Banned
1,345 Posts
In 1968, by watching my late Father work on the family TV, I learned you could double your rate of obscenities by inserting extra ones between the syllables. Certainly common today, but a real Eureka moment at the time.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
In 1968, by watching my late Father work on the family TV, I learned you could double your rate of obscenities by inserting extra ones between the syllables. Certainly common today, but a real Eureka moment at the time.:bigthumbsup
You mean like Eu-F**K*NG-reka!? :grinroll:

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I always thought the first step in every Chilton manual was to learn every curse-word possible:bigthumbsup
"You filthy system, I’ve had it! You smelly one buster bragum prognostical fipher platypus nascaratha, bart mundane noodle! You shotten shifta pastamat snort tonga le mongrel snappa sil kakah!"

Wilted circumference! Blaaaahhhh!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is exactly what you have currently in your 2011 V6.
You do not really need the T-lok rebuild kit, either, as your car is brand new.
Awesome. It's nice to know the stock is the full Ford Racing carbon disc version.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Does anyone know what the difference between this and the stock LSD is?

Ford Racing 8.8 in 31 Spline Traction - LOK Mustang Limited Slip Differential w/ Carbon Discs at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

I am thinking about swapping my gears up to 3.73 from 3.31 on a "performance package" V6 when it comes in, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to upgrade the LSD at the same time.

(If the stock version is nearly as good I probably won't worry about it.)
The only difference between this differential unit and the stock one you have is that it comes with carbon fiber clutch discs. The stock ones in the Mustangs (non GT500) are standard paper clutch discs.

The differential in the AM link is M-4204-F318C

The stock differential in the 2011-2012 Mustangs is M-4204-F318

The carbon fiber clutches can tend to be pretty noises, which is one reason they are not used in all the Mustangs. Also, being carbon fiber, the discs cost more.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Awesome. It's nice to know the stock is the full Ford Racing carbon disc version.

Thanks for the info.
Sorry for any confusion. You have the differential assembly itself, but as Mountain here V V V has stated, like all other non-GT500s, you have paper discs. Thanks for the clarification, Mountain!:bigthumbsup

The only difference between this differential unit and the stock one you have is that it comes with carbon fiber clutch discs. The stock ones in the Mustangs (non GT500) are standard paper clutch discs.

The differential in the AM link is M-4204-F318C

The stock differential in the 2011-2012 Mustangs is M-4204-F318

The carbon fiber clutches can tend to be pretty noises, which is one reason they are not used in all the Mustangs. Also, being carbon fiber, the discs cost more.

·
Registered
719 Posts
No problem man.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts