1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
526 Posts
Just looked, latest update for my car is dated 12/2010. Bah...

·
Registered
503 Posts
Glad to see new features rolling out, very cool. Perhaps the article is off but it says.

Then you'll find that the latest update (G1 V3.2.2)

I'm running Gen1 - V4.0.2

Logically speaking I would expect the higher revision number to be the latest and greatest. Perhaps they fat fingered the version in the article????

After further research it appears that version 3.1 is the latest for NAV equiped cars so this capability might only be applicable if you have the NAV pkg????

·
Registered
286 Posts
There's an article on CNN about it as well.

Ford vehicles will read you text messages while you drive - CNN.com

Here are two excerpts that are of interest -

- On Tuesday, it will be made available as an upgrade to Sync vehicles that are model 2010 or later. In order to install the capability, owners can download the upgrade from the Ford Sync site onto a USB drive along with print-out instructions. Older Ford vehicles that have Sync will soon be able to make the update as well, says supervisor of Sync product development Mark Porter.

- One factor in the slow adoption is that not many phones integrate with text-to-speech features like Ford's. So far BlackBerry phones are the most notable devices compatible with the technology required. Some Android phones also support the technology. iPhones do not.

I have a BB so I'll definitely be looking into getting this running. I'll probably wait a week to let others work the bugs out.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Don't get your hopes up if you have a 2011 with Navigation. They likely aren't updating that (currently stuck at v3.1)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Both 3.1 and 4.0.2 will be updated. Ford specifically mentioned the 2011 and 2012 Mustangs in the press release. Check out Autoblog if you want to read the press release.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Why wouldn't they update the NAV?
Because the NAV system for 2011 doesn't get updates as often.

For 2011 if you bought nav, you get a few of the Sync features (voice communication with the car) but you get your navigation, traffic, and business search through the nav company, not Ford. Because of this, you don't get access to any of the Ford "Traffic, Directions, Information" features that are part of the Sync package. They carved out some of the Ford Sync functionality, and stuck the third party nav package in it's place. So this requires a separate update from the normal "full" Sync "TDI" package.

For 2012 models, Ford did it right, and now even nav owners get the full Ford Sync "TDI" services, meaning everyone gets the same updates.

But for the last 10 months my car has been stuck at v3.1 despite them announcing new Sync updates.

Both 3.1 and 4.0.2 will be updated. Ford specifically mentioned the 2011 and 2012 Mustangs in the press release. Check out Autoblog if you want to read the press release.
But there's no update. They claimed they shipped it today, and the version number they listed was released months ago. Maybe they mean they're shipping that old version for the cars that haven't received it yet? Nonetheless that would mean it's not a *new* update.

Also, they explicitly said "select 2011 and 2012 models". Where do you see mention of 3.1 being updated?

·
Registered
676 Posts
I just called Ford Sync customer service and the guy there knew about this press release I was referring to. He said whoever in their PR group posted that press release had pretty much all the facts wrong, and that there is no such update (which matches the fact that the website lists no update available for my car). He was very honest about how much damage control they've needed to do today to fix this press release debacle, and said that along with the press release, they even featured pictures of functionality that doesn't exist in any version of Sync. They even had an Atlanta radio station call them asking about a walkthrough on the bluetooth texting features and how to get them working.

As we already noticed 3.2.2 is old, and he confirmed for me that I probably shouldn't expect Ford to ever update my car from v3.1.

Despite it being a bit disappointing, I found that he knew more than any Ford Sync customer service rep I've spoken to in the past. He was extremely helpful. Guys like that should get promoted.

·
Registered
676 Posts
When the new Iphone 4S released with Voice commands, I rather that Ford allow Iphone user use Siri instead.

I just hope!
The ford sync customer service guy mentioned he got questions about that because someone had this running... where you have Sync for the car stuff and Siri for everything else, simultaneously. Wasn't sure if he meant Ford had it up and running but it shows they're aware and looking to accommodate it at some point.

·
Registered
833 Posts
When the new Iphone 4S released with Voice commands, I rather that Ford allow Iphone user use Siri instead.

I just hope!
The ford sync customer service guy mentioned he got questions about that because someone had this running... where you have Sync for the car stuff and Siri for everything else, simultaneously. Wasn't sure if he meant Ford had it up and running but it shows they're aware and looking to accommodate it at some point.

Man, I can only hope! Siri via bluetooth would be the ticket!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Too bad Siri does not work with our bluetooth. That would have been really cool. I have tried so far and have not succeeded.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Doesn't that press release refer to taking incoming emails and texts and reading them to you? The 2012 reads incoming texts already, so maybe that is what they were refering to. There was no update, it did it from the beginning. Maybe its only on the nav version though, I can't comment for the other.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The latest versions are listed here at the bottom.

G1 V3.2.2 for non-APPLINK and 4.0.2 for APPLINK equipped SYNC systems.

"Major SYNC updates that have been released to date include:
- G1 V2.0 – availability of 911 Assist™ and Vehicle Health Report for 2008 SYNC-equipped vehicles (dealership installation required) (December 2008)
- G1 V3.0/V3.1 – availability of SYNC Services for Traffic, Directions and Information services for 2010 SYNC-equipped vehicles (June 2009)
- G1 V3.2 – improved voice command structure, constant display of turn-by-turn directions and GPS coordinates for 911 Assist for 2011 SYNC-equipped vehicles (April 2010)
- G1 V4.0 – AppLink™ software application for hands-free voice control of smartphone apps for the 2011 Ford Fiesta only (December 2010)

- G1 V3.2.2 (non-AppLink)/V4.0.2 (AppLink-equipped) – increased MAP support for select 2011 and early-release 2012 SYNC-equipped vehicles with AppLink such as Ford Mustang (May 2011)"

·
Registered
270 Posts
I love my 5.0 and have not had any issues that others have had with trannys or tics or squeaks, but i have always been disapointed with the lack of functionality with SYNC (i dont hav nav) and I too saw this press release and was fired up about text, ITS A SAFETY ISSUE, but alas another SYNC disapointment.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just called Ford Sync customer service and the guy there knew about this press release I was referring to. He said whoever in their PR group posted that press release had pretty much all the facts wrong, and that there is no such update (which matches the fact that the website lists no update available for my car). He was very honest about how much damage control they've needed to do today to fix this press release debacle, and said that along with the press release, they even featured pictures of functionality that doesn't exist in any version of Sync. They even had an Atlanta radio station call them asking about a walkthrough on the bluetooth texting features and how to get them working.

As we already noticed 3.2.2 is old, and he confirmed for me that I probably shouldn't expect Ford to ever update my car from v3.1.

Despite it being a bit disappointing, I found that he knew more than any Ford Sync customer service rep I've spoken to in the past. He was extremely helpful. Guys like that should get promoted.
Wow did Ford really, really mess this up. I am reading about this 'update' on everything from the front page of MSN network, to tech sites (Anandtech), to CNN, everyone is posting about this, and it isnt even real.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow did Ford really, really mess this up. I am reading about this 'update' on everything from the front page of MSN network, to tech sites (Anandtech), to CNN, everyone is posting about this, and it isnt even real.
Absolutely! That is why you should TOTALLY believe EVERYTHING your read...

Seriously, did every human being lose all sense when the internet was invented by Al Gore??? :worship

·
Registered
544 Posts
This sucks!!!!!!
I wonder if anyone has tried replacing their 2011 Mustang sync unit with a 2012.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts