Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where would the Ford Mustang be without its legions of aftermarket supporters? There'd be no Shelby, for starters. And there would be a shortage of Fox-bodies doing burnouts with straight pipes in the K-Mart parking lot.

But Ford's latest technical service bulletin aims to put a damper on all this modifyingat least for warranty purposes. It's not for any potential mechanical issues; rather, tweaking the 5.0-liter engine could "cause damage to the powertrain and/or void the factory powertrain warrantyattempting to increase the engine output via recalibrating the PCM may result in poor drivability, DTCs, or component failures."

These aftermarket modifications could alter the fuel and spark settings, damage the pistons, and throw off the knock sensor, which Ford technicians have been told to watch out for. They will also see if there have been any aftermarket parts installed, such as exhausts, superchargers, nitrous systems, and intakes, though fuzzy dice and 8-ball shift knobs are still fair gamefor now.

"Customization is a big part of the Mustang ownership experience," said a Ford spokesman. This is designed to alert people to the possible damage and warranty 'voiding' one can incur if they modify their vehicles beyond factory specifications."

Though Mustang enthusiasts shouldn't be too despondent over the potential loss of their warranty/nuking of their engines: after all, they said the same thing about another cult-status sports car, a vehicle whose popularity and success couldn't have happened without its endlessly modded counterparts. That car was the Nissan GT-R. And while true-blue Mustang enthusiasts might not get along with GT-R drivers, they can both take heart in knowing that both cars have both survived against such warnings and corporate hand-wringing. You'll take our cold-air intakes from our cold, dead hands!

More: Ford Warns Against Modifying 2011 Mustangs on AutoGuide.com

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
This is really nothing new. You make a mod which causes damage and warranty won't cover it. True with any item under warranty.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Yes, I agree keep it stock untill your warranty is up. It would be faster to spot whats wrong and fix it. I've seen the GT-R's and if you put the car track mode for racing down the strip the warranty is off, but those are some amazing cars.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes, I agree keep it stock untill your warranty is up. It would be faster to spot whats wrong and fix it. I've seen the GT-R's and if you put the car track mode for racing down the strip the warranty is off, but those are some amazing cars.
My car has a 100,000 Km 5 year warranty and I am 68, so I can't mod my car till I'm 73 and it's ready to be traded in -- yeah right!

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
My car has a 100,000 Km 5 year warranty and I am 68, so I can't mod my car till I'm 73 and it's ready to be traded in -- yeah right!
well it really depends on how much money you have and how much you drive it...personally if I was going to mod a 2011 I'd get a GT500, a car clearly made for mods

·
Registered
361 Posts
I baught my GT/CS, and to "HELL" with Ford and their threats. I have been MODING my stang from day one. I'm 65 and have never outgrown the need for speed, and will die that way.
I'm far from being rich but will fit the bill if I break something.
These cars were made to GO FASTER! :bounce2: :laughlitt :grinroll::grinroll: :hihi: !

·
Registered
339 Posts
I baught my GT/CS, and to "HELL" with Ford and their threats. I have been MODING my stang from day one. I'm 65 and have never outgrown the need for speed, and will die that way.
I'm far from being rich but will fit the bill if I break something.
These cars were made to GO FASTER! :bounce2: :laughlitt :grinroll::grinroll: :hihi: !
:bigthumbsup

For me, just the fact that Ford felt it was necessary to make such a big deal about this, seems to indicate that there have been enough problems with the 5.0 to warrant such a public and unpopular edict! Makes me nervous.

·
Registered
645 Posts
They just don't want you to do anything but drive the car despite knowing which way the car was headed almost from day one. Car companies are doing anything they can to keep cars from being modded. Whether it's warranty or design. I mean look at SUV's how many truly offroad capable SUV's are there and how large is the aftermarket? I don't mean those with the fancy selector knob like it's some sort of appliance. Pretty soon a person or shop won't be able to do anything to a car. I'm sure they're working on a way to design a set of wheel nuts and spindle that only the dedicated builder of the vehicles shops can work on. The Camaro is one example-the ******* radio is the brain of the car.

·
0 Posts
More non-news that's years old. Awesome.

Look up the "right to repair act" it tells you everything you need to know.

The burden of proof is legally upon Ford to prove your mods caused any problems.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Its cause A LOT of 2011's have been crapping out due to burning up piston rings. People have been going crazy on timing in their tunes and bam...now what. You just crapped out the piston rings on number 7 or 8. so take out the tune, have it towed to Ford as a stock 5.0. Now Ford is fixing it...maybe. I think that I read where they can tell if it's been previously tune. Not sure though.
This isn't new but i've been reading about tons of problems with the 2011 5.0's. Anywhere from the clutches going out, weird noises or vibrations, and some being several quarts low on oil straight out of the dealership. But at the same time...if you only have exhaust done and your transmission crapped out...is the warranty now expired?? Some Ford places will say yes and some will say no.

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
"never risk more than you can afford to lose"...
I'd never mod a car I was making payments on...but that's me, glad I got two that are well paid off

·
Registered
91 Posts
wait..so this excludes 3.7's? i know they only mentioned the 5.0 but...

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Anything ford makes. If you buy a Ford Expedition and put a CAI on it and it causes something to crap out, they won't fix it. To include a V6 stang.

·
Registered
159 Posts
:bigthumbsup

For me, just the fact that Ford felt it was necessary to make such a big deal about this, seems to indicate that there have been enough problems with the 5.0 to warrant such a public and unpopular edict! Makes me nervous.
It's no real change from the past but now the software controls so much that engine damage is far more likely from someone poking around than it has been in the past. There's a lot of Ford's knowledge in that software that those looking in from outside wouldn't know.

Personally I wouldn't trust what various companies and speed shops have come up with at this time (and maybe not ever). Not because of their competence or business practices but because there's so much they can't possibly know until they try it and even more they won't know until down the road. There could be things in there that up the power, but Ford learned that the engine then ends up lasting only 10,000 miles. It could be an obvious tweak that "shouldn't" do any harm. But engineers at ford tried it and blew up engine after engine... because of some other variable. Engineering is about balance, often as much art as science. Ford simply isn't going to warranty engineering projects where someone thinks they can do better than Ford where 'better' is to rearrange the priorities upon which the warranty is based.

That said I would imagine that the lowest risk paths are going to come from Ford Racing or those who have access to Ford's knowledge like Shelby and Roush. Of course they will also likely be the most mild. They will make the tradeoffs knowing what happens. So while some shop comes up with a tune that sacrifices longevity for torque because they didn't run a car for 50,000 miles with that tune to find out. A tune done with inside knowledge may perhaps sacrifice NVH for more power... A more reasonable trade off.

Moral of the story, modding (out of the box and first couple years of production) is for those with the stomach for breaking their cars.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dont think Ford wants customers to stop modding the Mustang as there is plenty of stang parts in the Ford Performance Racing Parts Catalog. I think they want clarity with the public as it relates to voiding the warranty with performance enhancing parts. We have all heard the stories of "that guy" who blew the engine on his brand new stang running it on nitro. Took the nitro off and went to the dealership expecting a new motor. Probably everyone on this form knows if you mod a car you void the warranty.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ford shouldn't pick up the tab if something I have done causes a failure. But they also shouldn't say because there is a K&N filter in there that I caused a burned piston ring either. Our dealer here is very good about keeping it's customers happy. They know we can buy somewhere else. If your dealer isn't working for you then you should buy elsewhere.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ford shouldn't pick up the tab if something I have done causes a failure. But they also shouldn't say because there is a K&N filter in there that I caused a burned piston ring either. Our dealer here is very good about keeping it's customers happy. They know we can buy somewhere else. If your dealer isn't working for you then you should buy elsewhere.
I was at my dealership on Saturday and was in conversation with one of their service people. He said one of their customers has a GT500 that he swapped gear ratio to 4.10 and subsequently had a transmission failure. Ford is refusing to cover it under the warranty.

·
Registered
22 Posts
shelby

I'm looking to buy a 2012 GT now, so let me know which dealer so I can avoid them like the plague. Can't imagine it is our favourite SVT dealer, is it?

I spoke with a dealer I know about the transmissions on the '11 and '12 GT and he told me he hasn't seen any trouble out of the 20 cars he has sold, but he has a Shelby that has gear grind going into 5th, and that this is a known problem with them.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm looking to buy a 2012 GT now, so let me know which dealer so I can avoid them like the plague. Can't imagine it is our favourite SVT dealer, is it?

I spoke with a dealer I know about the transmissions on the '11 and '12 GT and he told me he hasn't seen any trouble out of the 20 cars he has sold, but he has a Shelby that has gear grind going into 5th, and that this is a known problem with them.
Might be, but I wouldn't blame the dealer. This is Ford tough? BTW I don't know all the details about this situation. I confess I am starting to feel negative toward Ford, maybe I should have purchased a Nissan

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.