Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, drivers side upstream of the front 02s. where the x pipe connects to the headers, i think i just need a gasket flange right? that should seal it off. correct?

·
Banned
3,704 Posts
I would think that the best way to determine that would be to tear it apart and see exactly what the problem is instead of posting a thread where we get to speculate about an exhaust leak.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
i'm pretty sure i suggested that you should check that specific joint when you posted one of your CEL threads a while back. i thought you said it checked out and you had no exhaust leak? this would also lead to giving you poor gas mileage and performance as well.

but in short, yes you need an OEM (<--with an emphasis on OEM) passenger side manifold to midpipe gasket.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Driver's side doesn't have a gasket, it's a ball and socket connection. I would say that the installer either didn't install the spacer that comes with certain midpipes, or the shoulders on the studs are preventing it from seating all the way. Both are common problems on the driver's side, but neither are really easy to fix, just because of where they're at. You have to take the midpipe portion off of that side, take the studs out and grind the shoulders off, or just use some nice grade 8 bolts in their place.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I took it to a exhaust shop. ( this is the first time to answer mell0s statement ) they said i didn't have an exhaust leak. then i took it to tires plus and they said i do, then showed me the exhaust leak while the car was running on the lift, i could hear it and smell it.

second, yes im getting terrible gas mileage, this is definately the cause.

rabbit, i did tear it apart and i did find the exhaust leak i guess lol..

And okay thanks, im gonna run to Advance auto parts and get what i need.

and thank you bullit, ill tell the tech there what you said.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
take it back to the exhaust shop that installed it and tell them to fix it. that's unacceptable for an exhaust shop to install part of an exhaust with an exhaust leak. i would be irate about it considering all of the frustration you have been through, and probably gas that you have wasted.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah.. ahah im prettyyy ******* pissed. i do about 160 miles to the tank babying it.. like 2k rpm shifts lol. no fun what so ever! haha but like tires plus did it, and they are so nice to me. they do everything for free for me. they are a family friend basically. they havent charged me once for any of my visits besides maintenance, and when they do.. its 20 bucks for an oil change, tire rotation, and brake check. thats what i needed and it was only 20 dollars..

lol but like all this time.. i was tearing up the intake, the tb and plenum.. everything lol. ugh whatever. st00f happens. im running out to autozone soon and picking up and exhaust gasket flange by felpro. the dude on AM who wrote the install for the same xpipe i got except with cats said to get it for the same reason why i need it.

lol :D i <3 life.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
why would you take your car to tires plus for anything other than tires?

that would be like me asking walmart to install my new shortblock aand heads.

seriously if you want the job done right take it to the ppl that know how to do it right.

im not criticizing you just giving you words of wisdom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
why would you take your car to tires plus for anything other than tires?

that would be like me asking walmart to install my new shortblock aand heads.

seriously if you want the job done right take it to the ppl that know how to do it right.

im not criticizing you just giving you words of wisdom
their tech owns a muffler/exhaust shop. he also worked for nascar lol. I feel like he kinda knows what he's doing there.

if the gasket doesn't work.. what else should i try?

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
You can give that a shot. You can also get some stuff called "Copper Spray a Gasket" (I think that's it...). It's made by Permatex. Just put a few coats on the new gasket and it will help it seal up better. But the OEM Motorcraft would be a better gasket to get. Just be prepared to pay more for it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can give that a shot. You can also get some stuff called "Copper Spray a Gasket" (I think that's it...). It's made by Permatex. Just put a few coats on the new gasket and it will help it seal up better. But the OEM Motorcraft would be a better gasket to get. Just be prepared to pay more for it.
lol at this point in time, i really couldn't care less how much it costs because one way or another its gonna get fixed. ahah thank you for your time and responce jep!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
My cousin had a problem with the Felpro gaskets. Something about the 2 layers of the gasket would separate over time and eventually leak. Supposedly they fixed the quality, but I'm not willing to risk it on my header install. Too much of a hassle. Just get it done right the first time.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Slow down there killer...........

You said the leak was on the driver's side, but you bought a gasket for the passenger's side? I clearly posted that the driver's side had a ball and socket connection and didn't require a gasket. I also told you exactly what makes it leak, and how to fix it, but instead you went and bought an unneeded gasket that won't fix your problem, and if the passenger's side isn't leaking, it doesn't even need to be touched.

I know I'm an a-hole, but seriously, read what I post man. It will save you a lot of aggravation and time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.