Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a disconnected hose when taking the rear wheel off the driver side of my 68. This hose is supposed to be connected to the rear axle. The connector is directly on top of the rear axle on the driver side. It's about 8 inches in from the drum brakes on that axle. What is it and what fluid should I replenish? I'm assuming that it's been leaking for a while because the axle is covered in dirty greasy liquid. :headscratch:

BTW... I re-connected the hose.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
you should also check your brakes. if you have that much grease all over the axle it may not be coming from the vent but possibly from a bad axle seal if you are sure it is grease but if your brakes don't work and your brake fluid is low then you may also have a bad wheel cylinder. either way with that much fluid you need to pull the hubs and check the brakes.

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) There will be either a fill plug on back of the center section of the axle housing or in the removable third member, the part that's held on with a whole bunch of nuts. On your car, the original axle housing had the plug in the center of the back side of the axle housing, but, 40+ years is a long time. It could have been swapped out with something else by now. But, it will be in one of those two locations. Just remove the plug and put gear lube in until it comes running out, then replace the plug. :)

Very seldom will you see an axle losing fluid through the vent tube, though. That's probably the axle seal that's leaking, assuming that it isn't brake fluid that's being leaked. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts