Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aside from having a huge aftermarket selection and possibilities, what's so great about these engines? How do they feel like on the road?

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
Lot of torque down low, they'll rev 6K or so if you build them right, they explode mostly due to vibration issues over 500WHP, although there is no definitive number. Models like mine were the lightest Mustangs of all time so far (Fox Coupe).

Best part is shear availability of parts, massive aftermarket as w ell. Even with the rise of the LSx engines, it's easy to swap one of those into the Fox chassis, power potential is HUGE with the LSx engines.

As for road feel, a stock Fox feels like a shoebox on floaty springs. Traction issues abound. Aftermarket can fix this easy enough though. It will not feel like a late model car without spending the dough

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So handling is definitive of a classic muscle car? Count me in! But yeah I would opt for a better suspension setup with adjustability in mind. As for the engine, I really would like to experience a 302 Windsor other than a Modular 4.6 3v.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
A stock 302 engine is almost bullet proof.
It is a short stroke pushrod engine when fitted
with the right parts can produce more than
one horse per cubic inch easily. Aftermarket
parts are readily available and considerably
inexpensive. Plus when dressed up right it
looks great.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I liked the old 5.0 when I had my fox. Lots of torque down low. Parts are dirt cheap. A few grand in mods can go a low way and make for a hell of a fun car.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I think its really is just the huge aftermarket coupled with what you get from factory with the 5.0 HO.

For instance, I dont know too many cars out there that come factory with all forged internals that doesn't come off the lot with a turbo already installed.

Another is how many foxbody mustangs were made with the old 5.0. I mean, 20 some years later they are still a dime a dozen. Its easy to find a beat up one that still runs and drives as a project for about 2 grand even today.

Huge aftermarket has to be the biggest factor, i mean thats why i got mine lol

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I think its really is just the huge aftermarket coupled with what you get from factory with the 5.0 HO.

For instance, I dont know too many cars out there that come factory with all forged internals that doesn't come off the lot with a turbo already installed.

Another is how many foxbody mustangs were made with the old 5.0. I mean, 20 some years later they are still a dime a dozen. Its easy to find a beat up one that still runs and drives as a project for about 2 grand even today.

Huge aftermarket has to be the biggest factor, i mean thats why i got mine lol
Indeed. Thanks guys. Im looking forward doing a fox body project in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts