Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1989 LX Hatchback with the 302 and I've recently changed the front brake pads and rotors, and in doing the back brakes, the anchor (pivot?) pin snapped and I decided that rather than going through the trouble of finding a new backing plate and messing with the drums (which I HATE), that I would just take the next step and do a disc conversion. I don't have slotted or drilled rotors on the front, so I'd like to keep that uniform for the back.

I was wondering who's done disc conversion, what some of the negatives are (aside from only being able to order parts though the manufacturer of the brake kit), and which kits are the best...I'm also NOT at all interested in doing a 5 lug conversion, so I'm only focusing on 4 lug drum to disc conversion kits. I just figured since I have to pull out the axle to change the backing plate anyway, I'd just step it up a few notches.

I'd appreciate any input and advice I can get on this, thank you!

·
Registered
304 Posts
when you say anchor..are you referring to the pin on each side that the little spring surrounds which holds the shoe to the backing plate? if so then the pin simply comes out the back of the plate with no effort... literally everything you see under your drum comes off very easily so no broken part should hold you up at all. theres the ebrake adjuster kit and the spring hardware kit..both of which can be purchased very cheaply from any autopart store....

if you're still really interested in doing a rear disc swap..which is always a good idea..then there are many options. i've found a cool site for brake stuff... North RaceCars (dot com) has their own rear brake conversion set up that they manufacture that is very affordable and allows you to pick from different kits that each have different amounts of parts.. you could also go the more expensive route by doing the 2300k kit from ford racing or going really expensive and doing wilwoods or brembo or baer brakes kits..all of which are super nice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I say anchor pin, I meant the main pin up top that the tensioners attach to. Snapped :-( I know the pins you're talking about though. Thank you for the advice on the website...I'll check that out. How much did you end up spending on your kit? I've seen prices anywhere from $350 to $800. I was hoping to spend no more than $650/700ish

·
Registered
304 Posts
oohhhh ok...have you tried tapping it with a hammer to punch it out the back? im almost positive that they can be removed as well.. might be easiest removing the backing plate and flipping it over to hammer it in but i know i've replaced them before at work.. (just not on a fox) so maybe i'm wrong because i can't say for sure..definitely worth a try though?

as for my disc set up, i didnt spend much compared to what i could have with other kits... i bought one of the kits from north race cars.. i think i only spent like 700 bucks on it.. but i went with their 5 lug SN95 kit so i had to spend extra money for the axles.. if you're keeping 4 lug then you can get a rear disc kit from them for $549 plus 40 dollars shipping... (ford racing's m-2300-k costs around $2,300! definitely check them out..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eh, if I'm going to go as far as taking off the backing plate, I already need the axle off, so I'll do the discs. Thank you for your advice. I'll definitely check out the website later! Thank you!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll definitely look into that. $700 isn't too bad for such a significant update to the car. Thank you for your advice. If I would go as far as taking off the axle to get the backing plate off, I might as well just do the discs. Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
no problem at all, good luck with whatever you choose.. and you're right the money i spent on it was definitely money well spent.. trying to run drum brakes around a road course or drag strip is not smart at all... after one run down the track i could barely stop due to so much brake fade. even on the street if they go out of adjustment they're pretty useless and put alot of extra wear on the front.

feel free to PM me if you have any questions you want me specifically to answer or im sure you noticed there are SO many good people here that are willing to help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts