Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2,000 original mile 1993 GT with the gray lower panels. A car like that was never washed much so it's got 18 years of garage grime and dust embedded in the gray lower panels. Any suggestions on how to give those panels a good scrubbing without damaging the color or finish?

·
Registered
277 Posts
2,000 miles? how did you find something like that?

·
Registered
41 Posts
dont wanna be the bear of bad news here, but you sure thats not rolled back..? but really if its something that seroius theres not much you can do. get a new paint job haha.

·
Registered
41 Posts
haha i remember when i bought my 03 v6 a few years ago and there was some body dammage and i just thought oh i can just get it out! but really, after looking into it, new paint job is really the only way to go. good luck!

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
dont wanna be the bear of bad news here, but you sure thats not rolled back..? but really if its something that seroius theres not much you can do. get a new paint job haha.
huh... he wants to know how to clean his car and you tell him to get a new paint job... after you eat dinner do you buy a new table rather than clean the old one? :heha:

It's probably... no definitely... safe to to ignore the 3 last posts.

Congrats on the clean low mileage car!.... hope you have what it takes to keep it that way. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
277 Posts
well what condition is the paint in exactly? when you say grime what do you mean? i definitely dont imagine you could need a new paint job if it was in proper storage, because your paint shouldnt be dead.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well what condition is the paint in exactly? when you say grime what do you mean? i definitely dont imagine you could need a new paint job if it was in proper storage, because your paint shouldnt be dead.
Paint is perfect. It's the gray part on the bottom of the car. I just think I could get it looking better with some kind of good scrubbing and apparently you can't wax that surface.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Wow that's a pretty car. I like the chrome ponies.

I will tell you this, Ford went with a very thin coat of paint on the gray. Many cars of our vintage are showing the yellow primer as the paint has worn off. Whatever you do, stay away from any type of car wash and just do it by hand.

As far as cleaning, why type of grime are you talking about? Water spots, bugs, etc?

I used the Turtle Wax Wash & Wax. It it's stubborn I use Turtle Wax rubbing compound and then wax over the area with Rain Dance Wax.

There is stuff called "Trim Shine" that I picked up at VIP Auto that does a fantastic job of freshening up the look of plastic pieces, included the fender wells. I did my lower gray skirts with the Trim Shine it and came out fantastic (see pic in my profile).

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow that's a pretty car. I like the chrome ponies.

I will tell you this, Ford went with a very thin coat of paint on the gray. Many cars of our vintage are showing the yellow primer as the paint has worn off. Whatever you do, stay away from any type of car wash and just do it by hand.

As far as cleaning, why type of grime are you talking about? Water spots, bugs, etc?

I used the Turtle Wax Wash & Wax. It it's stubborn I use Turtle Wax rubbing compound and then wax over the area with Rain Dance Wax.

There is stuff called "Trim Shine" that I picked up at VIP Auto that does a fantastic job of freshening up the look of plastic pieces, included the fender wells. I did my lower gray skirts with the Trim Shine it and came out fantastic (see pic in my profile).
Car is getting shipped in a week or so. I'll have to try a few things and get some close up pics. Based on your profiles pics, looks like you've had some experience.

·
Registered
277 Posts
just what stang dog said, id go with some sort of rubbing compound. and if you wanted to try using a buffer id suggest a lower powered orbital because its not strong enough to burn through paint even on corners. which ever way you try, good luck, its a clean ride :bigthumbsup

1 - 13 of 13 Posts