Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a story about there Foxbody mustang racing a mid eighties to early nineties camaro or corvette and I want to know how close the race was. Only comparing fairly stock cars against each other. I know the 84 vette had 205hp and at the end of the LG4 350 run in 91 the vette had 245hp so I was just curious how close this race would be. Also are there any stories about cars that really suprised you from this same time period of the mid eighties to early nineties that you though would not have a chance against your foxbody mustang. Seems like the talons/eclipses and the turbo chrysler cars ran good from this time period such as the glh omni and daytonas.

·
Registered
248 Posts
My dad always tells me of a story where he met a guy with a 1985 SVO, my dad had a new 1985 Mustang gt, they went on the highway, hit it, and the SVO left him sitting, and he was never able to catch up, and they met at the next exit ramp, and my dad had to see under the hood, he didn't believe it was a 4cyl. My dad went that week and traded the gt in on an SVO.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Although I never raced one, those old dodge shadows w/ turbos were awesome sleepers at the time they were good for high 14's on the quarter.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the stories. If there are any more please share them. I know these stories would be over 20 years old now but try to remember if you can. When I was in college in 1994 a friend of mine had a 88 Iroc Camaro 305 tpi auto stock. Another friend had a 89 5.0 Gt with auto and 373s. On the street in a marked off quarter mile area the 5.0 won by two car lengths. It was a close race.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thank you for the stories. If there are any more please share them. I know these stories would be over 20 years old now but try to remember if you can. When I was in college in 1994 a friend of mine had a 88 Iroc Camaro 305 tpi auto stock. Another friend had a 89 5.0 Gt with auto and 373s. On the street in a marked off quarter mile area the 5.0 won by two car lengths. It was a close race.
Well the 305 motor was/is a POS thats why they are put in boats.
And the 89 fox is lighter then a 88 camaro so I would hope he won.:so

·
Registered
44 Posts
my father said he use to have a chevy monza with a 305 and a four on the floor he said it was a pretty quick car he got it after some drunk laidie total his mustang pinned him up against a telephone pole :so

·
Registered
504 Posts
a 305 TPI vs a 89 5.0 auto with 3.73's.....that should not even be a race lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
my father said he use to have a chevy monza with a 305 and a four on the floor he said it was a pretty quick car he got it after some drunk laidie total his mustang pinned him up against a telephone pole :so
Well yeah the monza is about the size of a pinto. So yeah its going to be some what quick.:scratchchin

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yup. I had a 1988 GT 5.0 5 spd. it had a fresh engine, as I found out later. anyways, me and a friend that had a 99 GT 5 spd. went to the strip. Mind you, I had stock gears, aftermarket upper and lower control arms, and a good clutch, with cat backs. He had about the same upgrades I did, and I would keep with him fender to fender, even if we traded cars. IT made him really mad that my 1500 pos would keep up with his fairly new GT. always did make me laugh. The other story I have: When I was in HS, a friend of mine had this ugly pos of a 84 GT fox. it had a top loader 4 spd and a pretty serious 351W. with the requisite rear suspension upgrades and such. anyways, we lined up at a stoplight next to a 86 IROC Z that supposedly had a built engine. this car was really nice, with a new paint job and such. we had seen it around town. anyways, the light changed, and he only stayed with us until the stang was in 3rd, then we walked away. the next light was about 1/2 a mile away, and we were ahead by 5 car lengths or so. after that, I had newfound respect for that pos FOX mustang.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.