Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 foxbody has a new fuel pump and relay. Went to start today and just cranks. If I prime pump 3-4 times then try to start it will almost fire up on first turn then just cranks and cranks until repeat the priming. Does anyone have a clue (fuel filter, pressure regulator?) I keep reading about fuse links in wiring harness but like I said it primes every time the key is turnd to the on position. Any wisdom is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
40,053 Posts
Welcome to the site!! Which engine do you have?

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
I seem to remember on the late 80's early 90's Fords (both 2.3 and 5.0) when you first turn the key to ON (not start) there would be a humming noise that lasted about 2 seconds and quit (that was the fuel pump activating I believe). It sounded like the noise that a lot of futuristic movies use to signify a hydraulic door opening (for lack of a better description).

My friends 89 LX 5.0, my 90 Tempo, and 92 LX 2.3 did that, anyway. Does your car make that noise when you first switch to on? If not the fuel pump may bot be pumping.

The only thing I can think of is that fuel pump reset switch back in the trunk.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It has the 5.0 v8. Yes that noise is the pump priming. It does that and it will almost fire like that's all the fuel it has then just crank. I checked the switch in truck it is in normal operating position. I just put the pump In last week and it had been running fine until yesterday morning when wouldn't start.

S

·
0 Posts
Hello, and Welcome to our Great Site here at AFM:bigthumbsup
Make sure that you check out our Year/Platform specific Forum pages so you can Post or just Read about The Stangs that our Members have that are of your Mustangs Same Year/Era
You can Navigate to the whole Site by clicking on the "Tech" Icon at the upper right hand side of this Forum page. Have Fun.
And Thank You for Joining All Ford Mustangs

Sean
:bigthumbsup

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts