Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Minor Mods

LOL, my "uh-oh" detector goes off whenever anyone says "minor mods". The phrase is full of troublesome memories for me, like "easy install" usually means a week of fighting horrible instructions - missing parts - and ultimately one of those experiences that make you sadder but wiser...

As for center caps, they are NOT all the same size, and either they fit the wheels or not.

"Minor modification" would entail milling/sanding down either the caps or the wheels, and I would NOT mess with the wheels. If you get a less than perfect fit, the odds are the caps will end up in a ditch somewhere.

Better to just buy caps that actually FIT the wheels. Will AM take the caps back?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
or take the caps you have sell them to a buddy for a 5$ profit. ^^^ i know what your saying. i usually duct tape stuff to make it fit :) lmao

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i havent gotten the fr500s yet so do any of you know a website where you can get center caps that fit them right away then and none of you have experience with putting the center caps into the fr500 either?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Generic Brand

i havent gotten the fr500s yet so do any of you know a website where you can get center caps that fit them right away then and none of you have experience with putting the center caps into the fr500 either?
I notice the American Muscle FR500 (clone) wheels come with center caps, so what center caps are you trying to fit, and to which of the dozens of versions of FR500 are you trying to fit them?

The "real" FR500 wheels from FRPP or a Ford Dealer come with Ford logo center caps. Those sold on special edition cars have Shelby logo center caps or cobras.

I don't trust clones to have the exact fit of the OE wheels when it comes to center caps, and the OE center caps are very pricey as a rule.

I don't have a set of the FR wheels, but many others do, including several friends with S197's, but they all got centercaps (with various logos) on their wheels that fit to start with.

So the suggestion is to talk to whoever is going to be selling you the wheels about center caps - they will know what fits their product.

I have had personal experience with cloned wheels that did NOT fit the "correct" center caps - the machine work of the lips was just a little bit larger, its edge was softer, and the notch for the caps to snap in was an entire different size and shape.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
sorry i forgot to mention the pony logo center caps and the 18 by 9 and 18 by 10 in the rear fr500's from american muscle and also wana try if they will fit to get the pony center caps from american muscle

Bullitt Center Cap (Large Size)
Talk to AM about the idea. They will KNOW the exact situation with their wheels. I did a quick search and found at least 9 different makes of "FR500" wheels. I would bet that they are not all identical or that they will all accept the same center caps.

Please let us know what they tell you. This sort of question will come up again, and then we can share the brilliant light of knowledge!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i sure will but im guessing some type of pony center cap fits since they have a pic of fr500's with pony center caps from customers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.