Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to do a 5 lug conversion on my 90 Lx hatch, I got 2 front rotors and 2 rear drums so all I need is the axles. The only problem is that I don't know what car they came from originally since I bought them from craigslist. I want to put FR500's, 18x10 in rear and 18x9 in front. Will they fit or will the back spacing not let them?? I'm on stock suspension but want to lower it on Eibach springs.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
way to big sorry too wide of a rim for a fox in the rear and probly the front

·
Registered
486 Posts
Definetely too wide. I needed spacers when I put my larger tire on. The rim itself is too wide to begin with. 17x9s may even need modification to fit.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Depends on the Back Spacing. I have 17x10's on the back of my Fox. Just a little modification.:happydance:
Correct, thats why I said MAY need. ;)

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am going with the 17" FR500's in anthracite as soon as the motor goes in. 18x10 in the back is just to big, 17x10 should fit, as said before, with little modification.

·
Registered
46,020 Posts
18's on a Fox don't look right.

To get 10's on the back would involve some mild modifications and proper backspacing. Then you can't lower it too much. 9's on the front, too much; 7's can rub at full turn.

·
Registered
107 Posts
to fit 10 inch wide in the back i was told u would have to have better control arms with poly urethane bushings in order to delete the quad shock.
and then after deleting the quad shock you buy brackets that are sold at northracecar.com so that the caliper is mounted in the correct position so u can fit ur wheels on with the correct backspacing and offset.
the wheels from american muscle will fit.

and i would put 17's. look good and u dont have to worry about rubbing issues

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
to fit 10 inch wide in the back i was told u would have to have better control arms with poly urethane bushings in order to delete the quad shock.
and then after deleting the quad shock you buy brackets that are sold at northracecar.com so that the caliper is mounted in the correct position so u can fit ur wheels on with the correct backspacing and offset.
the wheels from american muscle will fit.

and i would put 17's. look good and u dont have to worry about rubbing issues
Cool, what brackets would I have to buy??

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
those brackets are for use with sn95 axles.
the sn95 axles are .75 inches longer so u use those brackets to keep the stock track width.
ur gonna have to do a lot of clearancing to fit those 10's in the back so they dont rub.
im trying to do the same thing on mine and im gonna go with mini tubs so i can really fit a huge tire in the back.

·
Registered
2 Posts
fr500 on foxbody.

I put a sn95 rearend in my 92 coupe and i have the rear fr500 wheels already. they have the correct backspacing. i just converted the front to 5 lug and now i have to order the front wheels. Does anyone know the backspacing i need for this? i have 18" for the rear and im wanting to put 17" on the front. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
to the original poster, you only need those brakets when your wanting to convert the rear to disc brakes and keep the stock length axles in the rear. you do not need them if you swap a complete sn -95 rear end in. if you do swap in the 94-up rear end you will push the axles out as posted above. since you said you have the rotors and drums its obvious that your keeping it drum brakes in the rear and went with lincoln rotors for the front. the wheels will fit but may need a few clearance issues taken care of. depending on the tires and rims you MIGHT be able to flip the quad shocks and get away with it. you might also consider rolling the rear fender lip so you can have a little more room also. i love the look of the 18s on a fox as well and lots of people run them. i had 17x10 1/2s on the back of my 89 coupe with a 315/35 tire. i ran a small spacer to set them out just a little and had the fender lip rolled also. go to you local salvage yard and get (2) driverside ranger axles out of a 85-92 ranger and it sounds like your parts list will be complete. also make sure the fr 500s hub diameter will clear the lincoln rotors or you may have to run a spacer and longer studs up front as well. good luck man,make sure you post some pics when you get it done!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
71 Posts
what brand name are the gt4 wheels?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I am converting also but I am using the axles out of ranger left sides
as far as wheels I saw another post saying on 18x10 the back space
is a 22mm offset and 17x10.5 a 28mm offset I ran 17x9 with 275-40-17
on my 88 with no mods except flipping quad shocks over

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I can't imagine that helped the handling...the car is flat out not engineered for that size tire/wheel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.