Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 1968 mustang with a 302 and I have factory manual steering.

My mustang has rust spots on my frame. I am not looking for showroom looks. I just want to do a patch to make the car safe. Do i weld another piece of steel over the rust spot or cut the old part out? I also do not want to take the engine out.

My other issue is the steering. It use to loose fluid with a broken hose. The hose has been repaired and does not loose fluid anymore. But when i turn the wheel right its very very hard to turn and takes a lot of strength. But when i turn left its so smooth and easy and takes zero effort and strength. Any reason why it's hard to turn right but easy to turn the wheel left? I have no idea where to start and what needs to be fixed and i would like to try and fix myself.

Thanks everyone for your help, this is an awesome site! Everyone has already helped me fix my pinion seal and now im looking to fix more :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think it makes a better repair to cut out the rust spot and graft in the new patch....That prevents the rust from eating away at the patch and causing more work and problems.....As for the steering issue something could be binding up or possibly has air built up in it since it was leaking....Try bleeding the air from the system by turning it lock to lock several times at idle getting it hot then letting it cool down several cycles 2 or 3 times....Then let it cool completely and drive it and see what happens....Good luck!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it makes a better repair to cut out the rust spot and graft in the new patch....That prevents the rust from eating away at the patch and causing more work and problems.....As for the steering issue something could be binding up or possibly has air built up in it since it was leaking....Try bleeding the air from the system by turning it lock to lock several times at idle getting it hot then letting it cool down several cycles 2 or 3 times....Then let it cool completely and drive it and see what happens....Good luck!!
Hi Terry! Thanks for the advice and help I appreciate it. I am new to the steering area. You mentioned above that I can try bleeding the air. Can I bleed the air on manual brakes? If so, do you have a picture of where I would do this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Hold on a minute! How can you have manual steering and hoses? Do you mean the old Ford factory power steering?

If so, it sounds more like you have a problem with the control valve. It is either not putting pressure to the ram or is not letting the ram fluid return. Either way you need to get it fixed or risk plowing out a hose.

Look at the valve stud where the linkage hooks up. Does it move the same to the left and right? It could be as simple as something blocking the stud. But most likely internal. I would not drive this car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts