Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Two days ago, I got my 2011 GT Premium Convertible back from the tinter. Everything looked great, until as I drove it onto the freeway and looked through my rear view mirror, I noticed that the cloth around the rear window was frayed. It is mostly just along the top of the window, starts about the halfway point of the window and runs behind the driver. Only on the inside. I took a picture so you would see what I'm talking about.

When I spoke to the tinter, he said he didn't do it. He said there's really no way he could have. He cuts a pattern on the outside of the window, then uses a plastic squeegee blade to apply it on the inside. He says the plastic wouldn't do that, but I didn't see the the tool myself. He said he sees this kind of "minor fraying" on almost all convertible tops because the manufacturers don't spend the money to tuck them in and sew them properly. Is this guy right or is he blowing smoke and trying to get out of paying for some damage he caused?

The only thing I know about tinting is from watching YouTube videos, and what he said about cutting the film on the outside seems to match what I saw. However, this is my first convertible, my first sports car, my first $40K+ car, and I am being extremely meticulous about it. I've only had the car 6 weeks, and sure I've taken the top down a few times, but I certainly don't see a way that the fraying would have happened without someone or something scraping the fabric. He suggested using some black fabric tape to hold the threads back up in place.

I'm looking for input from other convertible owners - any kind of convertible. Is this kind of thing just normal wear-and-tear on a modern convertible top? If it is normal, should I do something about it (like the tape he suggested)? If the tinter really didn't do it, is it something I should take back to the dealer? Am I overreacting? I'm considering taking it to an upholstery shop that does convertibles to get their opinion, too. All input is welcome at this point.

Thanks,
Jesse

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
It's normal. My '98 Sebring has that on the inside of the back window. 218,000 miles and no problem because it is glued to the glass. You should take it to an upholstery shop for an opinion. Worst case, get some fabric lock from a sewing store. It's a glue that is applied to keep seams from un-raveling.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I would just trim those threads with a sharp exacto blade if they bother you. No big deal

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, guys. For what it's worth, I did take it to an upholstery shop (I know the owner and he has seen my car quite a bit). He said it isn't bad, it might be normal or might be something the tinter did, but either way it's easily fixed. He advised the razor blade method, too.

Thanks guys, guess I was worrying about nothing.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
my 87s the same way. i bought the car from the origional owner and he said its been like that since the day it left the dealership. nothing to worry about.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.