Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i was wondering if there is anything you can do to an 89 5.0 to get some hp out of it for free. like little tricks n stuff. is there anything? thanks

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Only thing I can think of off the top of my head is bumping the Timing up. And getting rid of as many pulleys as you possibly can (i.e. smog pump, A/C) I would say Power steering pump, but that would require a new steering rack, so its not really free.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I dont know much about fox's. But maybe you can adjust the timing? (prob have to run premium im guessing)

This doesnt add hp, but ditch as much un-needed weight as possible

R

·
0 Posts
weight reduction.....

Front sway bar: 21 lbs (racing only)
Front bumper: 24 lbs
Move battery to the trunk: 0 but moving a 50 lb box to the trunk improves traction
Replace steel hood with fiberglass hood: 15 lbs
Remove trunk/hatch carpet and sound deadener: 15 lbs
Remove tailpipes and install turn downs: 20 lbs
Remove rear seats and associated parts: 47 pounds
Remove front seats and replace with lightweight racing seats: 24 lbs
Replace steering rack with 1981 or older manual rack and remove power steering pump: 16 lbs
Remove rear sway bar: 14 lbs (racing only)
Replace front wheels & tires with lightweight skinnies: 32 lbs
Remove heater, stereo, speakers, under carpet padding, center console, misc. interior items: 63 lbs
Replace rear wheels & tires with lightweight wheels and slicks: 20 lbs
Remove spare tire & jack: 42 lbs
Remove exhaust from header collector back: 51 lbs (racing only)
Remove window mechanisms and side impact bracing within doors: 36 lbs
Replace iron heads with aluminum: 40 lbs
Replace radiator with aluminum: 15 lbs

100lbs weight reduction = 1/10 better E/T

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Yes ditch some weight.
You can advance the timing to 14* or 16* this will give a few HP 3-5 probably. You can remove the air silencer that is in the fenderwell that feeds air to your air filter box. I recommend to replace the Thermostat when you advance the timing with a 180* unit. Only about 10 bucks it could give you just a couple of ponies. Also clean the MAF sensor if the wires are dirty it can rob you of HP. If they are way dirty and you clean them it is enough to feel it in the seat of your pants on acceleration.

Its also real cheap to get a 70mm MAF housing and sensor from a 94-95 V-6 or V-8 Mustang. Its not free but very cheap and you will feel a differance in acceleration.

You can remove the front sway bar. This will drop some weight and help the front of the car raise up and transfer some weight to the rear tires for better acceleration.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Someone"s help to wake up a 4.6 in a 91 fox body . It has 3:73"s
goodyear drag radials, lighting mass air, tko600 five speed, ram900 clutch assembly, no cats with x pipe 2/1/2 raised hood. Still doesn"t excite me Oh also removed all padding under carpet.:wavey thank You Allcobra

R

·
0 Posts
Someone"s help to wake up a 4.6 in a 91 fox body . It has 3:73"s
goodyear drag radials, lighting mass air, tko600 five speed, ram900 clutch assembly, no cats with x pipe 2/1/2 raised hood. Still doesn"t excite me Oh also removed all padding under carpet.:wavey thank You Allcobra

you could always put a 5.0 back in......

sorry i had to do that......:gringreen

i would suggest asking the guys over in the 4.6 section i'm sure they will have many ideas to help you.....

·
Registered
547 Posts
+1 Reggie def put that 5.0 back in and get your man-liness back lol

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Why do people always suggest removing the A/C for extra power? :nono:Other than weight savings, the frictional losses in that bearing are very minimal. You have to have the compressor engaged for any axillary load on the engine. Another thing, is to think about what you want with the car, and if your A/C is already inoperative, then i guess it wouldnt hurt to take it out, but if you ever want it back in there, it will be expensive, especially if you leave the lines open in the evaporator core and condenser.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
Why do people always suggest removing the A/C for extra power? :nono:Other than weight savings, the frictional losses in that bearing are very minimal. You have to have the compressor engaged for any axillary load on the engine. Another thing, is to think about what you want with the car, and if your A/C is already inoperative, then i guess it wouldnt hurt to take it out, but if you ever want it back in there, it will be expensive, especially if you leave the lines open in the evaporator core and condenser.
I know this is directed at me, since Im the only one that mentioned A/C. But I do agree on the looses being minimal. I shouldnt have used it as a HP gainer,but rather a weight savings.

R

·
0 Posts
I know this is directed at me, since Im the only one that mentioned A/C. But I do agree on the looses being minimal. I shouldnt have used it as a HP gainer,but rather a weight savings.

do you have a complex.....:headscratch:

you and my wife ......:scratchchin

it all about me......:)

i live in florida removing tha A/C has never been an option...:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.