Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get some extra pull out of my 3.7L, but short on money... Anyone know of any mods that are cheap / free with a little time and effort? ( i know some of the tuner cars such as the Genesis coupe's have small things that improve the cars but I was wondering if anyone knows if the Mustangs have anything a normal skilled driver could do ).
Also wondering advice on CAI's and if anyone has used SLP loudmouth mufflers on a V6? Comments welcome.

Feel free to P.M. me.

·
Registered
449 Posts
muffler delete and k & n should get you some power.

funny thing is , magnaflow is selling these muffler delete kits for a huge premium 300-400+ , where i could have it done for 20 dollars.

·
Registered
837 Posts
K&L drop in filter for around $50 shipped is probably the cheapest "performance" mod you can do

B

·
0 Posts
Actually, switching to 93 octane is pretty cheap and nets you extra power and improves timing. you don't even need to install or remove anything. Check out the american muscle thread.

·
Registered
460 Posts
drive it! lol,

Tuner, Exhaust, Intake. easiest to start.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i have my mufflers removed (very loud) and exhaust pipe cut in front of the axle, and k&n drop in filter and 93 octane lol those are about the cheapest mods you can do for under 60 bucks! lol i run consistent 13.6-7 not much else you can do after that for less than 280 bucks, and i have seen a couple CAI and bama tune cars with axle back exhaust putting down 290whp, so if you can handle having no mufflers, which is very loud and resonating and gather 640 bucks for tuner,CAI combo, thats about what your looking at, and possible very low 13s 1/4m times?? and if you have a manual i would go easy on it until aftermarket clutches come out! good luck!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
50 bucks for a filter? Dang haha... Is it noticable enough for 50 bucks? Or should I wait to get the cash for a full intake system?

Does the car automaticly recognize the 93 octane? Arnt the firing temperatures different? And should I siphon the 87 out before I fill her up?

·
Registered
852 Posts
Who needs a passenger seat? Or a spare? Pffft... silly creature comforts.
Ford already modded our cars by not including that spare... :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
85 Posts
K&N filter definitely worth the money...

50 bucks for a filter? Dang haha... Is it noticable enough for 50 bucks? Or should I wait to get the cash for a full intake system?

Does the car automaticly recognize the 93 octane? Arnt the firing temperatures different? And should I siphon the 87 out before I fill her up?
I did my mods incrementally to study their affects on both mpg -AND- performance. The day I signed the actual loan papers I spent $69 on a K&N. It allowed the engine to breathe so much better that it actually achieved a higher rpm before each shift! That is a really big change since nothing else was adjusted!

Here's something else to consider, since the K&Ns have a lifetime million mile warranty and can be cleaned over and over, once you upgrade to a CAI you can sell it and get most of your money back.

Bottom line is, if I don't have a CAI I will always have a K&N filter on any vehicle I own, cars, truck, ANY! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I remove my mufflers i will have straight pipe put in place to prevent the gases under my car. Are the seats an easy removal? Or should I say easy reinstall also?

Anyone use a K&N drop in and upgrade to a full system? Sell the old filter cheap? :bigthumbsup If it has a warranty like you say I have no problem buying it used :smoke:.

J

·
0 Posts
Dude, just save your money.

Car modding is an expensive hobby and if you're too broke to afford mods (like me) then you're better off waiting and saving your $$ rather than looking for "free mods" which will sacrifice comfort.
Do it right, or not at all.

·
Registered
627 Posts
If I remove my mufflers i will have straight pipe put in place to prevent the gases under my car. Are the seats an easy removal? Or should I say easy reinstall also?

Anyone use a K&N drop in and upgrade to a full system? Sell the old filter cheap? :bigthumbsup If it has a warranty like you say I have no problem buying it used :smoke:.
There no free mods that will help with out striping your car . Get a life time tune $380 and go from there. K&N not worth the money, were talking air flow, no help. Now if you want to strip your car bear that will help, you just will not drive car your often. NO A.C. radio, sound proofing , seats, exhaust ETC.

SCT SF3/X3 Power Flash Mustang Custom Tuner w/ 3 Free Custom Tunes - 3rd Generation SCT XCalibrator - FREE SHIPPING!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would only want to be light when I go to the track. Thats why I only would do it if it was easy remove and install. I think I will do the drop in filter, later on get the bama tuner so I can do 93 octane for racing and 87 ( cheaper ) for my normal day driving.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I would only want to be light when I go to the track. Thats why I only would do it if it was easy remove and install. I think I will do the drop in filter, later on get the bama tuner so I can do 93 octane for racing and 87 ( cheaper ) for my normal day driving.
I don't have Bama tune, but there 2011 3.7, auto, with 2.73 rears, stock 87 gas 1/4Mile 14.1. Bama 87 performance tune 13.73. No need for 93 octane to have fun. You will not gain any thing taking out one seat. Save your money get tune, best bang for a buck for our 3.7 Mustangs.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't have Bama tune, but there 2011 3.7, auto, with 2.73 rears, stock 87 gas 1/4Mile 14.1. Bama 87 performance tune 13.73. No need for 93 octane to have fun. You will not gain any thing taking out one seat. Save your money get tune, best bang for a buck for our 3.7 Mustangs.
Yeah that is what i want. Its the 300+ bucks I dont have though so it will have to wait.

Thanks for the input everyone :bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.