Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a big leak but a leak none the less. A couple of questions. How do you support the motor while removing the mount to get at the freeze plug? Could a product like stop leak be used temporarily? Any advice would be truly appreciated. Thanks, fjd.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would support the engine with a floor jack.
A stop leak product may stop the leak temporarily but would most likely let go just when you didn't need it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks rocky289 for the response. My thoughts too about the temporary fix but wanted to hear someone else say it. On supporting the engine with a floor jack, exactly where would you put the jack on the engine?

·
Registered
153 Posts
put a wood block on your floor jack and support the oil pan. the you can remove the mount and pop out the leaking plug. then you can replace it with an original style one or a rubber expansion plug. the rubber one work well and are easy to install but are ugly. i had one in a daily driven 302 for years with no issues

·
Registered
386 Posts
the rubber expansion plugs are a lot easier than installing the metal ones with the motor in the car. I like the metal kind better but i put in 3 rubber ones when i had some leaking and they saved a lot of headaches. The one will leak a little when it gets below freezing though.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had one of those. I just jacked it up by the oil pan with a block underneath and changed it. It was akward to get it in but I did get it eventually. Make sure that you get the brass plugs, theyll last longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts